Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@MrsFitz I got a call back from the NP and she said not to use heat on the incisions. She said it’s okay on back or below the incisions but nothing but ice on the incisions. I am also glad I called though because she said if I really don’t want pain meds she would call me in a muscle relaxer and that and a Tylenol should help.

Back to the topic. I think this forum and Dr Weiners website have been far more informative than any classes or support groups. I really do think they should standardize it all though. Would be way less stressful for the patient.

5 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

@MrsFitz I got a call back from the NP and she said not to use heat on the incisions. She said it’s okay on back or below the incisions but nothing but ice on the incisions. I am also glad I called though because she said if I really don’t want pain meds she would call me in a muscle relaxer and that and a Tylenol should help.

That’s definitely handy to know, and I’m glad you called to check first. It’s all trial and error on this journey isn’t it?? I hope the meds help you out @ShoppGirl and you can get some restful sleep 😴 and pain relief

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, MrsFitz said:

Blimey @ShoppGirlyou have had a lot to deal with this week! Gallbladder- I had mine out last year but I wasn’t told anything to avoid foods, drinks or anything but was warned that gall stones can come back in the bile duct. After a bit of a rocky start (lots and lots of Fluid leakage as my gallbladder was horribly inflamed which resulted in a much longer surgery blah blah blah) I’ve been fine ever since. Fingers crossed all will go well with that aspect of the week for you. Please take your pain meds and give yourself whatever respite you can. You’ve had 2 major operations this week and you are really going to be feeling it 😮 Would a heat pad give you any additional relief?

Injecting yourself - I inject one lot of meds weekly and another fortnightly and, believe it or not, I think it’s easier to self-inject than have someone else do it for you. I just grab a fat roll at the top of my thighs, hold the pen against my skin and press the button. I’ve to count to 10 before releasing. A quick wipe down with a sterile wipe and I’m good to go. Yes, it very occasionally hurts, like if I haven’t grabbed enough for the injection, plus you have to rotate your injection site as you can end up pretty sore with it if not (never had that problem, thankfully 🤞) You can also inject in your stomach if that’s a better choice for you. I was told that I have to have B12 injections every 3 months - I’m going to look like a dart board!!

I had my gall bladder removed years ago after collapsing due to infected stones. I was told I wouldn't be able to eat rich foods afterwards but I didn't have any problems.

I have to do B12 injections every 4 to 6 weeks. I used to get them at my doctors surgery but the GP said it was a waste of my money to be paying to go see her when I could do them at home myself. I used to be terrified of needles but like @MrsFitz says I actually find it easier to do it on myself now. I also do the thigh, alternate each time but I would consider it a long needle as it has to go through fat/muscle to get into the system.

I often wonder what my cleaning lady must think when she is cleaning my cupboards, one is my drinks and medicine cabinet and when you open the door you see all the needles, alcohol wipes etc. nicely there besides the Baileys 😂

Edited by FifiLux

17 minutes ago, FifiLux said:

I often wonder what my cleaning lady must think when she is cleaning my cupboards, one is my drinks and medicine cabinet and when you open the door you see all the needles, alcohol wipes etc. nicely there besides the Baileys 😂

As long as she doesn’t think that you’re some sort of drug fiend and that you’ve lost weight because of imbibing Class A drugs with a Baileys chaser 😉

My program didn't offer anything either. We had 1 online group "power session" that basically told us what we can and can't eat before and after surgery, what recovery would look like, how long we would be in the hospital, and that we have access to the (fairly useless) nutritionist. That was it. I learned more from Google. Then I found this forum and the rest is history. This place is WAY more helpful than anything else, so I just stick with it. Now that I'm 2 years out from my original surgery and 1 year out from my revision, fully recovered my my SLEW of complications and additional surgeries, and not only made it to my goal but am below it, I feel like I have stuff to offer in the conversation now. I owe everyone here so much that I just hope to pay it forward to others.

On 8/14/2024 at 10:08 PM, MrsFitz said:

Tonight I went to the required education session that my NHS Trust has as a non-negotiable requirement of being accepted for surgery. I will be honest and say I was left feeling completely underwhelmed with it.

There was about 16 of us, all pre-op but at different stages of the required tests etc plus some family members (hubby went with me) There was also a Bariatric nurse, a dietitian and a former patient who had had the bypass in 2022. She explained her journey but it seemed very…I don’t know, sterile? Wrong word I know but I don’t know how else to explain her approach. She’s obviously happy with how it all turned out for her but it all seemed very whitewashed, which I found odd. She only mentioned one case of dumping syndrome but everything else was a walk in the park, which had me internally questioning things. She said she was currently in a months long stall but again, everything was hunky-dory. Someone asked about a typical days eating and it seemed really carb-heavy - toast for Breakfast, sandwich for lunch, cheese and crackers for a snack, sausage and chips or mash for dinner etc etc. I asked about what additional Protein she had - didn’t/couldn’t answer, asked about exercise - some walking and that’s about it. She mentioned Hair loss being an issue but that it all grew back and was great.

I know I’m being picky but I honestly wanted a more rounded discussion about of lots of different challenges that we could face with WLS and living the life post-op. I’d say out of the group that was there, maybe 5 had done any wider reading or research. I did find out that the hospitals approach to caffeine post-op is you can have a couple of cups of tea/coffee a day but they would rather patients filled up on foods/drinks that added Protein, especially at the beginning. I also found out about the Vitamins they give you and that they put the timings on the boxes to aid patients with timings etc, which was useful.

Something that was bothering me was if my BMI dipped below 40, would I still be considered for surgery as I don’t have any co-morbidities like diabetes, heart issues etc. I need to get it below 40 before I will be considered for knee surgery, and I’m hoping that will happen end of Oct/beginning of Nov all being well. I was reassured about that, saying that they go off the booking weight reported by the GP when referred initially 🙂

I will be completely honest and say that, apart from some very specific questions I had of my hospital, I actually find this forum of much more use and beneficial to me personally. I have found out so much information from people who are further along in their own WLS journey, plus I know I’ve felt really supported by lots of very lovely and helpful users. There is such a wealth of experience on here that I know that if I have a question, someone will be along to answer it!

Roll on the dietitian appointment next week 🤞

I did an NHS weigh loss education session before I was approved for surgery and one last week after I was approved. It was basically the same session twice and most of it was what to eat after the surgery. It's informative, but it's not really new information that I didn't have before. It's very clinical. I agree that hearing other peoples' stories is much more helpful.