Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

I had lapband surgery on 12-19-07 (4 days ago), I noticed a rash on my stomach which is itchie. It is not by the incisions that were made its like hip to hip at the bottom of my stomach.

Is this normal? I've put some cortizone type creams on it but it didnt do much good...

Anyone else have this problem?

Any suggestions?:help: Thank you

I have a yeast infection (red itchy rash) on parts of my skin that touch. This happens to me every time I have antibiotics, and they gave me a large dose of antibiotics before surgery. So I'm treating with antifungal cream that was previously prescribed to me. Cortisone should relieve the itching, but if your rash is yeast like mine, you'll probably need antifungal tx. And steroids can make the skin thinner and make the rash worse, so be careful.

Since it will be difficult to get in to a doc today, you could try over the counter miconazole nitrate (found in Monistat external cream) or clotrimazole (found in Lotrimin AF). Talk to a pharmacist if you take other drugs, and get in to see your GP to confirm the diagnosis. They'll have stronger meds that should help you get rid of it soon.

HTH - Happy Holidays!

Alyson

Is the rash in a place where you have a skin fold? I had this before, and it was the same as what Alyson said, a yeast infection of the skin, and it was treated with miconazole nitrate. It also helps if you can keep it as dry as possible.

I had a rash on my port incision after my first fill so I took antibiotics to help... after a few days it went away but then I had a major allegy attack all over my body and face. The doctors at the hospital couldn't say if it was from the antbiotics or if it was from some thai food I had. I have been on Phenergan and steroids since 2am Saturday morning... the rash is fading in some areas but still full blown in others.

The first photo is of the port infection and the other 2 are of the allergy attack... that rash is still all over my body... has faded from the top end though. What a way to spend Christmas! :cry :cry

post-224630-13813136114022_thumb.jpg

post-224630-13813136114384_thumb.jpg

post-224630-13813136114702_thumb.jpg

Sades,

It's so weird! I actually have had the exact same problem (allergic hives) each time I go to the hospital for an overnight stay. I always end up breaking out in hives when I get home. I don't know what it could be, but it I think it must be some detergent or something they use on the linens because I got the hives once when I was given absolutely no medicine. My docs know but when we ruled out an allergic reaction to medicine, I was just told to take benedryl and come in if it got worse. It never does get worse, but boy is it irritating when it happens!

Now, I just make sure to take a good bath or shower the second I get home from the hospital and that seems to prevent a big outbreak. For the life of me, i don't know what is causing this outbreak!

Sades,

It's so weird! I actually have had the exact same problem (allergic hives) each time I go to the hospital for an overnight stay. I always end up breaking out in hives when I get home. I don't know what it could be, but it I think it must be some detergent or something they use on the linens because I got the hives once when I was given absolutely no medicine. My docs know but when we ruled out an allergic reaction to medicine, I was just told to take benedryl and come in if it got worse. It never does get worse, but boy is it irritating when it happens!

Now, I just make sure to take a good bath or shower the second I get home from the hospital and that seems to prevent a big outbreak. For the life of me, i don't know what is causing this outbreak!

At least I am not alone with this horrible thing. I was told the rash was either from the antibiotics I took for the infection or the thai dinner I had the night before. It is still there on the lower part of my body... I look like a leopard. ;):D I will go to an allergy doctor after the holidays to see what could have caused it. Enjoy the rest of your Christmas break.

I have a yeast infection (red itchy rash) on parts of my skin that touch. This happens to me every time I have antibiotics, and they gave me a large dose of antibiotics before surgery. So I'm treating with antifungal cream that was previously prescribed to me.
Follow-up regarding my yeast infection: Yesterday I discovered that not only do I have yeasty rashes on my body, but I've also developed thrush (yeast in the mouth) and in my lower intestine. Ick. The doc put me on a systemic anti-fungal. My husband joked that I probably didn't have to worry so much about Protein with all that yeast getting swallowed (yeah, he has a gross sense of humor).

Find out what kind of sterile prep they used on you. there is a newone called Chloroprep that numerous people have had an allergic reaction too. I had it after a biopsy. It occured several days after surgery. I had to wash real good and clean with alcohol, and they gave me a cortisone to put on it. It went away right away.