Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision from sleeve to bypass due to GERD (Trigger Warning)

I was sleeved in March of 2015 (HW 405, SW 357, LW 238, sustained 260 for a few years), had some regain where I hit 315, so I went on a hybrid Optifast/Numetra diet through a program at Kaiser (my then insurance in California). It worked well, I dropped about 50 pounds and was happy with that, but then I had some mental health issues including some passive ideation, so I decided to move across country (technically back home) to Delaware and share a living space with my brother and his wife and pets. Since that move I've gained back the 50 pounds I lost, I have another hiatal hernia, and severe acid reflux/GERD so now I'm on the path to revision to bypass.

Thing is, I never wanted bypass, that's why I had the sleeve in the first place, the reworking of my internal plumbing scares the heck out of me! I've known a ton of people who've had it with no issues, but I've also known a couple who passed away from complications (granted, that was 20 years ago, and I know things have improved medically since then). But the idea of having dumping syndrome, and malabsorption, and needing to take Vitamins and supplements forever - UGH - I'm freaking out!! 😨😖

I have an anxiety disorder (SAD & GAD) and my anxiety has been through the ROOF the past few weeks! My surgery date is August 26 - 13 days from today! - and I started my pre-op diet the other day (Monday), but part of me wants to cancel everything! However, there is a part of me that can't wait for the relief from the GERD.

I guess I'm not asking for anything here, mostly just venting my anxiety. 🤣

morbidity rate is 0.3% with bypass - which is super low. These aren't the same surgeries as they were years ago. They're only slightly more risky than the sleeve. Complication rate is really low, too. The most common (other than dumping) is stricture, which happens to about 5% of bypass patients, and that's an easy fix - they just do an upper endoscopy and stretch it out (I had one of those). Dumping happens to about 30% of bypass patients, and you can prevent that by not eating a ton of sugar or fat at one sitting (most dumpers can eat *some* sugar and fat, just not a ton of it at one sitting). I've never dumped, and I know lots of other bypassers who've never dumped, either.

yes you do need to take supplements forever because of the malabsorption "feature" (which makes it a more powerful surgery than sleeve). But you get used to it pretty quickly. I don't even give it a thought anymore - taking them is now just part of my regular morning, afternoon, and evening routines, Most sleeve patients have to take Vitamins as well - although slacking off on them has more dire consequences with bypass than it does with sleeve. Missing a day here and there - or even a few days in a row, isn't likely to cause problems. But simply not taking them can cause huge problems over time.

To be honest, cutting off 3/4 of your stomach and throwing it in the garbage doesn't really seem that less radical to me than stapling across the top of your stomach and re-attaching your small intestine, but I know that thought seems really radical to a lot of people, so you're not alone in thinking that. Although unlike the sleeve, the RNY is reversible (although they'll only do that in extreme circumstances), which seemed oddly comforting to me.

I chose RNY because I had GERD prior to surgery - and it did "fix" that. I'm very happy with my decision - I've had a lot of success with mine and no problems other than the aforementioned stricture I had at four weeks out. I'd make the same decision today.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, ChristineAG said:

I was sleeved in March of 2015 (HW 405, SW 357, LW 238, sustained 260 for a few years), had some regain where I hit 315, so I went on a hybrid Optifast/Numetra diet through a program at Kaiser (my then insurance in California). It worked well, I dropped about 50 pounds and was happy with that, but then I had some mental health issues including some passive ideation, so I decided to move across country (technically back home) to Delaware and share a living space with my brother and his wife and pets. Since that move I've gained back the 50 pounds I lost, I have another hiatal hernia, and severe acid reflux/GERD so now I'm on the path to revision to bypass.

Thing is, I never wanted bypass, that's why I had the sleeve in the first place, the reworking of my internal plumbing scares the heck out of me! I've known a ton of people who've had it with no issues, but I've also known a couple who passed away from complications (granted, that was 20 years ago, and I know things have improved medically since then). But the idea of having dumping syndrome, and malabsorption, and needing to take Vitamins and supplements forever - UGH - I'm freaking out!! 😨😖

I have an anxiety disorder (SAD & GAD) and my anxiety has been through the ROOF the past few weeks! My surgery date is August 26 - 13 days from today! - and I started my pre-op diet the other day (Monday), but part of me wants to cancel everything! However, there is a part of me that can't wait for the relief from the GERD.

I just passed my 5th anniversary of revision from VSG to RNY. It has been 100% worth it for the relief from GERD alone and honestly the differences between the surgeries are not really the noticeable to me.

I will not sugar coat the experience because thats not helpful. There was an adjustment period (2-3 months) in the beginning like fixing a stricture, figuring out the new fullness sensation and food tolerances but after that it has been mostly smooth sailing.

I also didn’t want RNY from the beginning because of the reworking of the intestines which is why I chose VSG. But I already removed 80 % of my stomach so what’s a little crisscross applesauce 🤣

But honestly if I had a Time Machine and knew GERD was my future (never had it before VSG) I would have outright went with RNY.

Good Luck in advance and I’m hoping for your relief from GERD.

Edited by GreenTealael

I had a revision to bypass from the sleeve a little over a year ago because of complication from the sleeve and my only regret is that I didn't just get the bypass to begin with. I was so afraid of the complications that I chose the sleeve and regretted it almost from the very beginning. I have not had 1 single moment of regret with the bypass. I've only had dumping 3x, and since you should take Vitamins anyway for health, and since I always took them anyway, it doesn't bother me at all to keep taking them. The malabsorption really hasn't been an issue. It's really just for extended release meds, some vitamins and supplements, etc... You just take extra or take it at 2 different times during the day. It's a lot less overwhelming than it seems. My life is actually SO much better and easier since I had the revision.

I had a VSG on 7/8/2013, with that I experienced a leak that nearly killed me. I lost 80lbs total, but slowly regained nearly all the weight I lost. With the sleeve I had GERD that caused a gastric bleed in 1/26/24. I have seen all the consults that will be needed for acceptance. I am still scared but excited as well. I have told my immediate family ( my husband & kids). I don’t feel comfortable telling my brothers. They will be less than supportive. None have any weight issues. Although I am sure they love me, I need to make the best decision for myself. Am I wrong for the decision to keep this decision private?

On 8/22/2024 at 10:44 PM, guinea pig said:

I had a VSG on 7/8/2013, with that I experienced a leak that nearly killed me. I lost 80lbs total, but slowly regained nearly all the weight I lost. With the sleeve I had GERD that caused a gastric bleed in 1/26/24. I have seen all the consults that will be needed for acceptance. I am still scared but excited as well. I have told my immediate family ( my husband & kids). I don’t feel comfortable telling my brothers. They will be less than supportive. None have any weight issues. Although I am sure they love me, I need to make the best decision for myself. Am I wrong for the decision to keep this decision private?

Its your decision. Some people choose to tell everyone, no one, or a select few. You should do what works best for you. Keep in mind it’s kinda hard to hide for a little while post op if anyone will be eating around you. But it’s far easier to divulge the news after the fact anyways. Fingers crossed you get a surgery date on.

Posted (edited)

On 8/14/2024 at 10:36 AM, CrazyDog&CatLady said:

I suffer from GAD as well (and bipolar and ADHD). I am 2.5 weeks post op from a revision to SADI and doing great. Taking the Vitamins have taken a while to get used to but honestly it’s not that bad now that it’s habit. I take my multi in the morning and get out three calcium’s to take throughout the day and then take my magnesium at bedtime (you may not need it).

The bypass type surgeries are quite a bit more scary. I think it’s because they are not as straight forward as just making the stomach a little smaller seems but honestly a cut is a cut and the risks aren’t much higher than the sleeve. What you need to ask is what are the risks of all the weight related diseases And illnesses if you do nothing. Not to mention your quality of life with GERD. What I found most helpful to get through all of this was reminding my team about my anxiety when I felt myself freaking out. I told them I just need patience and I can deal with this. I asked loads of questions. I scheduled a couple of extra appointments in order to get everything answered and I over prepared.

The day I walked in for my surgery I knew that I had done any and everything humanly possible that I could do to control the situation for the better and I let the doctors and nurses take the wheel. All the while continually reminding myself that they do this procedure every day and that chances were it was going to go on without incident but if it didn’t then I was in the absolute best place to be and get the help that I needed. Best of luck with your surgery. You’ve got this!!

Edited by ShoppGirl

Hi!! We had the same revision date due to GERD as well! I hope yours went well if you decided to do it!

i felt very similarly to you when they gave me the option of revision. I didn’t choose gastric bypass 12 years ago for a reason! However, if I had known how bad my GERD was going to get, I might have made A different decision. Back then I wasn’t even told that GERD was a possible side effect.

Anyhow! I just wanted to say hi and check in since we are revising date buddies.

On 8/14/2024 at 10:36 AM, CrazyDog&CatLady said:

How are you doing?