Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NEVER thought I would be asking this

Posted (edited)

I had a revision surgery from sleeve to SADI a week ago today and I am a little concerned about how fast I am losing. Between the pre op diet and now I have lost 26 pounds. I think 14 pounds Pre Surgery and 12 this week. What’s odd is that the surgeon warned me that with it being a revision my loss would be quite a bit slower than with a virgin surgery and I don’t think I lost quite this fast with my sleeve.

Obviously I want to lose And the faster the better so long as it’s still healthy. I have my first post op tomorrow and I plan to ask the NP but I am just curious to hear what others here have experienced.

Maybe I’m worrying too soon. It could be that everyone loses this quick this early out regardless of vigin surgery or revision. It’s just something on my mind and I’m curious about what others experience has been with revision surgeries. Did you lose pretty quickly the first week as well?

Edited by ShoppGirl

I think the revision has just kickstarted the weight loss again? I'm still pre-op, but I think if you've had the sleeve years ago, the body might be acting as if it's a new surgery?

But congrats on the new progress!

10 minutes ago, NeonRaven8919 said:

I think the revision has just kickstarted the weight loss again? I'm still pre-op, but I think if you've had the sleeve years ago, the body might be acting as if it's a new surgery?

But congrats on the new progress!

Thanks

I had a sleeve done years ago and, for me, I would lose in spurts, so maybe this is just a spurt and you will level off for a week or so and *boom* spurt again. But I wouldn't worry until you've had the chance to talk to your bariatric doctors office. Odds are they will be like, "that's great! good job!" 😀

8 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

I had a revision surgery from sleeve to SADI a week ago today and I am a little concerned about how fast I am losing. Between the pre op diet and now I have lost 26 pounds. I think 14 pounds Pre Surgery and 12 this week. What’s odd is that the surgeon warned me that with it being a revision my loss would be quite a bit slower than with a virgin surgery and I don’t think I lost quite this fast with my sleeve.

Obviously I want to lose And the faster the better so long as it’s still healthy. I have my first post op tomorrow and I plan to ask the NP but I am just curious to hear what others here have experienced.

Maybe I’m worrying too soon. It could be that everyone loses this quick this early out regardless of vigin surgery or revision. It’s just something on my mind and I’m curious about what others experience has been with revision surgeries. Did you lose pretty quickly the first week as well?

Hey you! So in regards to the weight loss - I'm actually down 22 lbs since my pre-op liquid diet. I think your results make a lot of sense because the low carb has probably kicked you into ketosis, and you did that pre-op diet for longer than I did! I had also read somewhere that if you get off track post surgery to return to a liquid diet and it will likely jump start the weight loss again, so I bet you've got combined factors going with that. Congratulations! I'm sure your surgeon will be happy with your weight loss as long as you're making or getting close to making your Protein and hydration goals :)

6 minutes ago, Hiddenroses said:

Hey you! So in regards to the weight loss - I'm actually down 22 lbs since my pre-op liquid diet. I think your results make a lot of sense because the low carb has probably kicked you into ketosis, and you did that pre-op diet for longer than I did! I had also read somewhere that if you get off track post surgery to return to a liquid diet and it will likely jump start the weight loss again, so I bet you've got combined factors going with that. Congratulations! I'm sure your surgeon will be happy with your weight loss as long as you're making or getting close to making your Protein and hydration goals :)

Yea. I’m hoping it’s something like that. I’m pretty sure he will say we will keep a close eye on it. I mean as long as like you said I’m meeting my goals and my labs are good I guess it doesn’t really matter.

I’ve been very slow to lose weight and it hasn’t dropped for days. Currently 13 days post op and lost a combined weight of 16 lbs. Gastric Sleeve. I am still on liquids. My nutritionist said my body is in shock and trying to hold on to everything including Water. so well see… but i understand the feeling of slow.

38 minutes ago, Onemealplan said:

I’ve been very slow to lose weight and it hasn’t dropped for days. Currently 13 days post op and lost a combined weight of 16 lbs. Gastric Sleeve. I am still on liquids. My nutritionist said my body is in shock and trying to hold on to everything including Water. so well see… but i understand the feeling of slow.

I am a revision so I hwe sleeve 3.5 years ago and it did tend to go in spurts for me too. A few days with nothing lost and then a couple of pounds drop. Or a week or two worth 3-4 pound loss. Apparently that’s not at all uncommon.

meh I think your finnneeee!!! As long as your not passing out, dizzy or exhausted I think your body is just responding to this new you and was ready to get rid of the excess weight. Keep doing what your doing girl!! I had the sleeve and I dropped 30lbs my first month post-op. I mean I am 7months and down 131lbs. Some of us just lose weight hella quick!!

Just to update for anyone reading this after the fact my weight loss did slow down quite a bit. It’s been 12 more days and I have only lost three more pounds. And the last one isn’t sure it wants to really leave me 🤣 Anyways, thanks for your reassurances and I hope you are all doing well.

On 8/16/2024 at 2:12 AM, Onemealplan said:

Don’t know what your starting weight is but 16lbs in 13 days isn’t slow. It’s more than a pound a day. Even those with staring weights of 600+lbs (like on My 600lb Life) only lose 25-30lbs in the first month post surgery and your well on track for that.

I’d lost about 12lbs in my first fortnight and everyone was very happy.

Please remember if you’re losing, there is no right or wrong rate of loss just what’s right for you and your body.

All the best.