Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am looking for information on the before and after getting the sleeve done

Hey everyone, I am new here and I am getting the gastric sleeve done. I am on my journey to become a healthier me after I had a doctor tell me to my face that I am too fat to have my hernia surgery to repair it from when they took out my gallbladder. So here is a list of questions some might be able to help me with. Yes, I know I can ask the doctor but unless they have lived thru it, they can only speculate on what could happen.

1. I have dentures will the rapid weight loss effect how they sit in my mouth?

2. What are some of the best Protein Shakes out there in order to ensure I get the Protein I need?

3. How long were you down after surgery? How long until you started driving again?

4. Did you have a person helping you with after care and if so, how long?

5. I am disabled due to a nerve disorder; Is there anyone here who has a disability that has gotten the sleeve and how was your recovery?

I am sure there will be more, but these are the main ones floating in my head right now.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to not only read this but answering any question that you can. Also, all advise is accepted.

I can't speak to most of your questions, but I do know that the Premier Protein product is some of the better Protein Shakes out there, and you can get them anywhere (Walmart, Amazon, etc.). If you prefer a vegan choice (not whey protein) I like Evolve Protein (which I usually buy from Amazon). If you want to stick with the "medical" protein shakes, you can go to https://www.go4ithealth.com/ as they are the retail site that sells all of the Numetra weight loss products (most hospitals sell you the pre-op diet and a lot them use Numetra for that), you will need a Blender Bottle for them though whereas the Premier and Evolve and ready to drink (RTD). I can recommend a really good blender bottle called Helimix (I got it on Amazon - sensing a theme? LOL), it doesn't use a blender ball just physics. 😂

Either way, good luck with your journey!

I can't imagine that it will affect dentures, as they are based on gums/bone structure, your bones don't change structure. I use premiere Protein Shakes as well, along with a random other brand (Froot Loops by SixStar are yummy), I had surgery on Wed and went back to work on Monday. I was driving within a couple of days (just make sure pain meds don't affect you). I didn't need anyone to help me besides when I had "heavy" things that needed to be moved or lifted, then I just asked a friend to come help when they had a chance.

I can answer a couple of your questions. Yes, you will likely need to get your dentures re-fitted. I’m a nurse and have patients who have had large weight losses and they have needed to have this done.

Protein Shakes will depend highly on your taste. What tastes good to you now may change post op. I wouldn’t buy a large quantity of anything, Rather, just a single serving to try out post op. I personally really like the premier and fair life Protein shakes, but others hate them.

I took three weeks off work, but could have gone back after two.

I really only needed someone there with me for the first couple days then would have been fine on my own. The sooner you get back to gentle activity, even just day to day care of yourself, the quicker you’ll recover.

Posted (edited)

I had the sleeve 3.5 years ago and just had a revision to SADI a week ago today so I can answer for the sleeve and the “bypass type” procedure. With one thing to note. I also had my gallbladder taken out this time but it sounds like you would be the one to ask how much of my pain is due to that.

1. I have dentures will the rapid weight loss effect how they sit in my mouth? Does not apply to me

2. What are some of the best Protein Shakes out there in order to ensure I get the Protein I need? Premier Protein is a popular one If you like iced coffee the caffe latte is excellent but it does have caffeine and a lot of surgeons will have you off caffeine at least for a short time if you love your iced “proffee” though try mixing their caramel with Decaf instant coffee and having that over ice it’s yummy too beyond that I prefer core power Protein Shakes by fairlife. Many people love the chocolate and say even their kids drink them as chocolate milk.
I prefer the vanilla and their strawberry banana. I also like Protein Water for the liquid diet when you sorta get your full of shakes The Protein 2.0 in strawberry watermelon is pretty good . All of these are sold at Walmart. The premier protein is cheaper in the bigger packs but is sold in 4 packs and the core power is sold up front in singles and surprisingly it’s cheaper that way . The protein water I think only comes in 12 packs though . I would check a couple convenience stores for it first if you just want one to try.

3. How long were you down after surgery? How long until you started driving again? The biggest thing that will determine this will be whether you are on pain meds. After my sleeve I refiused pain meds even in the hospital but what I learned after my revision is that the most painful part for many is the trapped gas . After my sleeve I had no gas at all and I went home the next day on Tylenol. I could’ve driven right away if I had to. But I just got lucky because plenty of people with sleeve do have gas and incision pain. Post revision, I had a lot of gas pain and ended up staying 5 days starting off on morphine and oxy every two hours because the pain was horrible. Finally on day 4 I passed gas and realized that was the majority of my pain. Each subsequent toot brought more and more relief and I had about 7 big ones that one morning which I joke and say were life changing. I was able to cut back to just the one pain med less often and in a smaller dose immediately. Spent one more night and went home with normal post op pain script which I took one pill before I realized that the pain was mostly when I got up and down and the pain meds didn’t do much for that anyways and I wanted to be able to drive so I said I was gonna just take it at night but I forgot and then realized it was just silly to take it if I made it without. I did drive without issue on post op day 6 but honestly I did feel pretty fatigued and just wanted to get home. Some people are at a whole other extreme though and they do have a great deal of pain even after they are home and it lasts a lot longer. Long story short I can tell you my experiences but unfortunately no one can really predict this because it is honesty all over the map.

4. Did you have a person helping you with after care and if so, how long? Just my husband both times who is quite possibly the worst nurse ever. Didn’t need much of anything the first time except for things that require lifting, bending and straining this time I did need him to go and get things for me a little more. They want you up at least every two hours walking to prevent blood clots though so as long as something is within reach you can get it yourself.

5. I am disabled due to a nerve disorder; Is there anyone here who has a disability that has gotten the sleeve and how was your recovery? This does not apply to me BUT I know that a lot of diseases and disorders resolve some of completely with weight loss so this is certainly something to ask a surgeon about.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Welcome & congratulations on your decision to have sleeve surgery.

Can’t help with your denture question.

After surgery , many of us experience a temporary change to our tastebuds & sense of smell meaning that some foods (including shakes & drinks) taste &/or smell awful. For me things became too sweet & some textures became off putting (like the shakes were too grainy for me after surgery). It can persist for a couple of months. Moral is have a couple of samples of different brands & flavours on hand. Also some develop a temporary sensitivity to lactose so you may have to find a plant based Protein Shake.

I started driving short distances during the second week. But your surgeon will advise what they recommend for you.. I didn’t return to work until week 5 (I struggled with low blood pressure & energy & had a shorter concentration span for a little while) but I know people who were back at work after a week. A friend took 3 weeks. It really depends on how you recover. Generally I felt okay for basic chores around the house & short trips to the shops in the second week. Pain was gone by day 4 except for a little general discomfort if I did a little too much or moved too quickly.

I lived alone and I was fine by myself though I didn’t have any health issues which may have meant I required any assistance. I slept easily on my side & could get up & down easily (just slowly & carefully).

Write down your questions or things you may want to confirm from our stories as you think of them so you have them ready to raise with your surgeon. It’s easy to forget somethings.

8 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

Welcome & congratulations on your decision to have sleeve surgery.

Can’t help with your denture question.

After surgery , many of us experience a temporary change to our tastebuds & sense of smell meaning that some foods (including shakes & drinks) taste &/or smell awful. For me things became too sweet & some textures became off putting (like the shakes were too grainy for me after surgery). It can persist for a couple of months. Moral is have a couple of samples of different brands & flavours on hand. Also some develop a temporary sensitivity to lactose so you may have to find a plant based Protein Shake.

I started driving short distances during the second week. But your surgeon will advise what they recommend for you.. I didn’t return to work until week 5 (I struggled with low blood pressure & energy & had a shorter concentration span for a little while) but I know people who were back at work after a week. A friend took 3 weeks. It really depends on how you recover. Generally I felt okay for basic chores around the house & short trips to the shops in the second week. Pain was gone by day 4 except for a little general discomfort if I did a little too much or moved too quickly.

I lived alone and I was fine by myself though I didn’t have any health issues which may have meant I required any assistance. I slept easily on my side & could get up & down easily (just slowly & carefully).

Write down your questions or things you may want to confirm from our stories as you think of them so you have them ready to raise with your surgeon. It’s easy to forget somethings.

Great suggestion to write down questions. A friend suggested for me to keep a list on my phone and that was ideal because it’s always with me so I could add them as they popped into my head no matter where I was.

1 hour ago, ShoppGirl said:

Great suggestion to write down questions. A friend suggested for me to keep a list on my phone and that was ideal because it’s always with me so I could add them as they popped into my head no matter where I was.

I had to start to keep a list of what I wanted to discuss with my GP & what scripts I needed on my phone because I always forgot something. Love the notes app. Took three appointments to remember to ask for a referral to a dermatologist until I started writing a list. Ugh! Damn menopause mind tricks & general aging. 😁

So, I went to my primary doctor today and I will be going on to the next step Monday and get my bloodwork done. She will also be in contact with my other doctor, and I have to say I so love my primary as she told me that minus my weight that I am actually pretty healthy as in my blood pressure is not high or low; my lungs and heart sound great so unless my blood work comes back with something that we can't see she will be clearing me from her end for surgery. So one more step closer or at least a half a step.