Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brown Rice protein powder - can anything be done with it?

Does anyone use brown rice Protein Powder, specifically the unflavoured & unsweetened variety? I bought a small sample from my local bulk health food store, along with a larger amount of pea Protein powder. I knew what to expect from the pea protein powder as I've had it before in years past, but I was unprepared for the smell, taste, aftertaste and immense chalky-ness of the brown rice powder.

I've tried it in a few different things now (oatmeal, shakes and smoothies), and most of them had to be pitched entirely; I was able to choke down the smoothie I made with it but it was still unpleasant. Online blogs suggested almond milk and unsweetened cocoa powder to combat the chalky texture -- both did nothing for me. I tried PB powder, regular fairlife milk, thickening the smoothies with bananas or avocado, greek yogurt, etc.

I still have a little under 500ml left, and I'm tempted to just give up and throw it away. It's one of those vicious thought cycles: I hate to waste food by throwing it away, but I hate to waste other foods by trying to combine them and getting the same result lol.

If anyone has a method to using this while masking basically everything about it, I'm all ears. Can you bake with it? I've had mixed results baking with other protein powders in the past and am honestly mildly exhausted just thinking about it. XD

(I apologize with harassing you all with my constant protein supplement queries. Egg protein was a miss for me, but pea protein is a morning-time lifesaver for me.)

Seriously, unless you spent an absolute fortune on the brown rice Protein Powder, just bin it and put it down to experience. Life can be difficult enough with restricted food choices without forcing yourself to eat something you really dislike.

Glad the pea Protein was a win though! 👍

Funny how different our taste buds can be after surgery. Rice Protein Powder is a new one for me but I struggled with the pea Protein. So much for its claim it was flavourless. I love peas but this tasted & smelt awful. Plus the texture - blah! I had a huge container of it & was going to throw it out but like you felt it was a waste of ‘food’ (& money). Ended up giving it to some friends of friends who loved it. May be you can find someone to give your rice powder to or donate it to a food bank??

I gave away some tins of tuna I had in my cupboard (gone right off it not that I loved it before). The pest man who came to spray my house yesterday took the two tins I had. Now to find someone to take the tinned salmon.

8 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Funny how different our taste buds can be after surgery.
I gave away some tins of tuna I had in my cupboard (gone right off it not that I loved it before). The pest man who came to spray my house yesterday took the two tins I had. Now to find someone to take the tinned salmon.

Ugh, I hear you -- I can't do tinned fished anymore, either. I used to love tinned salmon and tuna, but now if it's not sashimi or freshly cooked filets it's a big No Thank You. I have a can of salmon (and a couple of flaked chicken) that I need to drop at the food bank. Thanks for the reminder lol!

I think I'll end up binning the rice Protein. It wasn't that expensive and because it was in a bulk-baggy I don't think my local FB would take it. I'll call it the cost of learning. :D

Posted (edited)

I think I'm lucky in that I never actually added Protein *powders* to anything - I met most of my protein goals with meat and pulses. It did take a bit of planning and monitoring and spacing things out. In the first six months I had some Protein Shakes and protein yoghurts as supplements but not that many.

If you can meet your goals with pea protein surely stick to that. Your horizons will widen as time goes on. Looks like you're doing absolutely great weight loss wise.

Edited by Spinoza

Hey, Everyone,
Something that I've learned as a PhD studying the human gut microbiome and someone with a a sensitive stomach is that fermented Protein Powder, no matter what the variety, is far more digestable, tolerable, and adsorbable than nonfermented Protein powder. Just to put that out there!