Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had a really bad week last week nutritionally. I gained back about half the weight I lost in the last two weeks. I just didn't stick to the milk diet I'm supposed to be on.

My surgery date is 7th of October and the bariatric doctor gave a diet he thought would be easy to follow so I can quickly lose weight before surgery.

So Protein Shakes and chicken or beef broth and this is what I'm supposed to have for 12 weeks.

Last week, I was sick, I was on my period and a little depressed so I went for comfort food.

Starting to panic about trying to hit the weight target the doctor set for me, I thought I would try going to the gym.

I've not been to a gym in years and I have memories of PE class and school bullies screaming back to me.

But I went in. The staff member was great about showing me around, all the bulky gym buff types that I thought would be bullies because of every high school movie I ever saw didn't even look at me.

I think I just assumed that being a fat person I would laughed at judged, but I was no different than anyone else. I was just there to work out just like they were.

I was pleasantly surprised by the experience.

Some of the equipment is intimidating and I have no idea what it does, but starting slowly, I think going in at least twice a week for now is a good starting point.

It is intimidating! However, everyone has a goal who goes to the gym and frankly no one is paying attention to anyone. Most people are heads down, ear buds in and going to work. I was the same way! Scared to try to new machines, didn't want to be that fat girl trying the stair master only to get off after 5min. BUT I did it and am improving. You stepped in and, made a goal to go at least 2x a week and that my friend is a huge accomplishment! Good on you!! You got this!

Congratulations so far and can I quietly say that a 12 week preop diet is wild?!?!

The generic gym culture I have noticed is either people completely ignoring you because they are focused, regulars greeting each other and friends that work out together. I have not seen anyone overly social lately (positive or negative).

In specialized settings (crossfit, yoga, Pilates, etc) it may be different but it seems gym culture corrected itself and is much more welcoming.

I can't get over the 12 week pre-op diet. That's so crazy to me!!! I mean, I started off at 421 pounds and didn't have to do that. As for the gym, that's just how it is. Nobody cares who is in there. When we go, we have our own things we're focused on. I know for me, I just hope nobody comes over to talk to me lol It's good that you're starting slowly. Moving your body is essential. And yes, you messed up, but as long as you see it, admit it, correct it, and don't repeat it, you should be fine. You still have plenty of time to hit your target weight. How much are you suppose to lose?

I know at our local gym, the ‘gym bunnies’ actually annoy the other users, both male and female. Most people are there just doing their own thing and don’t want to have to deal with those who are there for ‘show’ and spend silly amounts of time on their phones while holding up the machines. Taking photos is banned, thankfully, because I think that would be my undoing.

Everyone has to start somewhere…those people who seem really confident and seem to know what they’re doing most probably felt just the same when they first started! I when I was a regular I would throw on a pair of headphones, get my gym playlist going, and crack on. I have to say that I am the worlds sweatiest, most unattractive woman when I finish my workout but I’m buzzing and it helps my mental health like you wouldn’t believe. We are rejoining the gym at the beginning of September and I’m so looking forward to it.

Well done on taking that first step! Hopefully the gym will distract you from the diet and both will work in tandem for you in readiness for your October surgery.

YOU’VE GOT THIS!!!

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

I can't get over the 12 week pre-op diet. That's so crazy to me!!! I mean, I started off at 421 pounds and didn't have to do that. As for the gym, that's just how it is. Nobody cares who is in there. When we go, we have our own things we're focused on. I know for me, I just hope nobody comes over to talk to me lol It's good that you're starting slowly. Moving your body is essential. And yes, you messed up, but as long as you see it, admit it, correct it, and don't repeat it, you should be fine. You still have plenty of time to hit your target weight. How much are you suppose to lose?

I'm supposed to get down to 111kg (244lbs) I started at 123KG (271lbs). I've currently lost 4kg (9lbs) since July 15th. My weight has been fluctuating between 118kg and 120 kg for about a week now.

I think the other thing about the 12 week diet is I am an NHS patient so it's taxpayer funded and it's a teaching hospital so they are more strict on guidelines before surgeries but also I think they are trying new techniques.

I was also asked is I wanted to take part in a trial about dental health on this new pre-op diet which requires everything from blood to a stool sample. I don't mind taking part except now the pretty Spanish periodontist knows I poop! :)

Edited by NeonRaven8919

3 hours ago, NeonRaven8919 said:

I'm supposed to get down to 111kg (244lbs) I started at 123KG (271lbs). I've currently lost 4kg (9lbs) since July 15th. My weight has been fluctuating between 118kg and 120 kg for about a week now.

I think the other thing about the 12 week diet is I am an NHS patient so it's taxpayer funded and it's a teaching hospital so they are more strict on guidelines before surgeries but also I think they are trying new techniques.

I was also asked is I wanted to take part in a trial about dental health on this new pre-op diet which requires everything from blood to a stool sample. I don't mind taking part except now the pretty Spanish periodontist knows I poop! :)

Here in America, we have Medicaid, which is tax payer and government funded. They make you jump through a lot of hoops to get the surgery approved, but once it is, you still only have 2, or in rare cases, 3 weeks of pre-op dieting. I really feel for you. So they want you to lose 27 pounds in 3 months. That's 9 pounds per month or 2.25 pounds per week. That's actually VERY doable!!! And you still have plenty of time. I know you can do it. You got this!!!

8 minutes ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

Here in America, we have Medicaid, which is tax payer and government funded. They make you jump through a lot of hoops to get the surgery approved, but once it is, you still only have 2, or in rare cases, 3 weeks of pre-op dieting. I really feel for you. So they want you to lose 27 pounds in 3 months. That's 9 pounds per month or 2.25 pounds per week. That's actually VERY doable!!! And you still have plenty of time. I know you can do it. You got this!!!

I was born in America (Montana) and lived there for 14 years. I still have no idea how the system works over there!

3 hours ago, NeonRaven8919 said:

I was born in America (Montana) and lived there for 14 years. I still have no idea how the system works over there!

I have lived here all 46 years of my life, and half the time I don't understand how the system works, either lol

Well done for having the hutzpah to go alone. IMHO some gym's really have nasty people in them, If you have found a good one, well done. I used to ask when the quiet times were and found how to use the equipment just in case. I never like to make a fool of myself in public. Later on a few people would comment on how I had really progressed, in a good way. Small steps, big leaps.

As I have said before your surgeon is brutal. He really wants you to work for the surgery. You know when you are at your weakest and can plan for it next month. If you need a few cheats - Could you make sugar free squash ice lollies ? Use your milk in a low cal milk shake ? Add some Water noodles and chopped spring onion into your broth and add some 5 spice, it would be only 7 ish calories more ?

19 hours ago, summerseeker said:

Well done for having the hutzpah to go alone. IMHO some gym's really have nasty people in them, If you have found a good one, well done. I used to ask when the quiet times were and found how to use the equipment just in case. I never like to make a fool of myself in public. Later on a few people would comment on how I had really progressed, in a good way. Small steps, big leaps.

As I have said before your surgeon is brutal. He really wants you to work for the surgery. You know when you are at your weakest and can plan for it next month. If you need a few cheats - Could you make sugar free squash ice lollies ? Use your milk in a low cal milk shake ? Add some Water noodles and chopped spring onion into your broth and add some 5 spice, it would be only 7 ish calories more ?

I've been okayed to have some Soups as long as they don't have big chunks and the milk is supposed to include skim milk powder. I have been adding a scoop of Protein Powder so that i'm more full a bit longer and helps with getting Protein in. It's not much extra calories. I have always ridden my bike everywhere to so because of the exercise, I'm still getting about 1200 calories

It can definitely feel intimidating. As someone who would categorize myself as a "gym girly" now I will tell you that not one person in that gym started where they are now. They all were beginners at one point, they all fumbled to figure out the equipment, they all made mistakes. Heck I still drop weights, forget how to move stuff, etc. Also, most of us are so focused on what we are doing that we aren't paying attention to those around us.

I will also say that most gym people love helping people. We love talking about fitness and sharing knowledge and I am sure many people at your gym would be happy to help you out.

A lot of gyms also now have the QR codes on the machines that show you how to use them and some gyms like crunch and planet fitness have preset workouts on the app that you can walk through.

My next BIG thing though is going to be about safety. Your diet pre-op sounds VERY calories restrictive and chances are you're not going to have a lot of excess energy for activity at that low of a calorie intake. So many sure you feel up to it. If you feel tried, lethargic, dizzy, have a headache, etc. I wouldn't do a workout. Your body is trying to just function at that stage and might not be up to the excess activity just yet.

I am really into post bariatric fitness and just got my certificate in nutrition health and wellness. Reach out anytime on IG @ anastacia_bari_life

On 8/7/2024 at 8:38 PM, Anastacia.Bari.and.Books said:

It can definitely feel intimidating. As someone who would categorize myself as a "gym girly" now I will tell you that not one person in that gym started where they are now. They all were beginners at one point, they all fumbled to figure out the equipment, they all made mistakes. Heck I still drop weights, forget how to move stuff, etc. Also, most of us are so focused on what we are doing that we aren't paying attention to those around us.

I will also say that most gym people love helping people. We love talking about fitness and sharing knowledge and I am sure many people at your gym would be happy to help you out.

A lot of gyms also now have the QR codes on the machines that show you how to use them and some gyms like crunch and planet fitness have preset workouts on the app that you can walk through.

My next BIG thing though is going to be about safety. Your diet pre-op sounds VERY calories restrictive and chances are you're not going to have a lot of excess energy for activity at that low of a calorie intake. So many sure you feel up to it. If you feel tried, lethargic, dizzy, have a headache, etc. I wouldn't do a workout. Your body is trying to just function at that stage and might not be up to the excess activity just yet.

I am really into post bariatric fitness and just got my certificate in nutrition health and wellness. Reach out anytime on IG @ anastacia_bari_life

Thank you for the advice!

On 8/7/2024 at 12:38 PM, Anastacia.Bari.and.Books said:

Hi! I have been interested in getting my cert in Nutrition and Fitness. How do I go about that? Google is overwhelming

*I don't have Instagram or anything like that, so hopefully its okay to reach out to you here*