Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

26 Months since Bypass and my appetitie is out of control

Posted (edited)

I had my bypass in May 22. Happily and I needed to,\ I have lost a decent amount of weight after the bypass. My diet has been much improved. I go for walks most days and attend a gym once a week. On the down side depression has been kicking my butt and I have recently been hospitalized because of it. I spent a month inside and tried a new medication but it didnt seem to do anything for me so My P'doc said to stop taking it.

Ever since then appetite has skyrocketed and it is causing me so much distress which I try to fix by eating. Yes, the cycle continues. So far my weight has not altered much but that wont stay the same forever. My psychiatrist has suggest that I ask my GP to prescribe Ozempic. Yes, I am a diabetic but since the bypass have managed my bsls with exercise and diet.

Has anybody added Ozempic to help with their wls journey? Were there any draw backs. WHat else have you tried to get help with food addiction.

Edited by Possum220
Wasnt finished.

You want to do whatever possible now before regain happens. Go back to the basics. Make sure you are eating high Protein, low carb! Use a calorie counter for a few days and see what you are generally taking in. I had a bypass in August of 2002. I ended up at one point due to mental health struggles going back to eating badly and regained about 100lbs, not all I had lost but most. One day I had just had it and changed my diet and did walking daily until I could power walk and complete 5k at a time which was huge for me. I haven't medically been able to work or go on walks this summer and I miss it. It helps my mental wellbeing to be out in nature with my favorite tunes. Setting small goals helps me the best. Then I feel good when I can meet them and am encouraged to make a new one. Virtual 5k programs really motivate me. Find what motivates you! I'm sorry you are struggling with bad depression. I've been there until I did a genetic test and found only 1 antidepressants works for me after decades of trying new ones, some obscure one was the winner. I feel so much better and way less SI.

I don't know if this is allowed but you are welcome to add me somewhere if you would be interested. My heart goes out to you. I'm very non judgemental and open minded! I hope you have the best day you can!

-pawsalmighty

Hi, sorry to hear about your struggles 😔 it can be so tough! I'm 17m post op bypass, and although my team was happy with my loss at one year post op, I wanted to lose more and was really aware of how much I wanted to eat, like I never stopped thinking about food. I started taking compounded semaglutide in April, and the low doses didn't do much for me, but I've recently reached the therapeutic dose, and it has been great! Just this morning I hit a normal BMI, something I thought I could never do. I've been thinking about posting about my experience with it, because it was made a huge difference in both my physical appetite and my thoughts about food. I weighed 157 at my one year post-op, and 144.8 this morning! And most of that has come off just the last two months.

Any drawbacks - I have had a few "learning experiences" like I did post-op, but overall it's been fine. If your doctor thinks it might be worth a trial, maybe give it a try. ☺️ I know it's making a big difference for lots of people.

23 hours ago, pawsalmighty said:

You want to do whatever possible now before regain happens. Go back to the basics. Make sure you are eating high Protein, low carb! Use a calorie counter for a few days and see what you are generally taking in. I had a bypass in August of 2002. I ended up at one point due to mental health struggles going back to eating badly and regained about 100lbs, not all I had lost but most. One day I had just had it and changed my diet and did walking daily until I could power walk and complete 5k at a time which was huge for me. I haven't medically been able to work or go on walks this summer and I miss it. It helps my mental wellbeing to be out in nature with my favorite tunes. Setting small goals helps me the best. Then I feel good when I can meet them and am encouraged to make a new one. Virtual 5k programs really motivate me. Find what motivates you! I'm sorry you are struggling with bad depression. I've been there until I did a genetic test and found only 1 antidepressants works for me after decades of trying new ones, some obscure one was the winner. I feel so much better and way less SI.

I don't know if this is allowed but you are welcome to add me somewhere if you would be interested. My heart goes out to you. I'm very non judgemental and open minded! I hope you have the best day you can!

-pawsalmighty

Thank you for replying -pawsalmighty . Hugs to you. I certainly do want to stop the rot before it takes me back to where I was. I cannot afford to go back. Life is so much harder to live when you feel trapped inside your own body. Even the basics like taking a shower or walking around to do the grocery shop was confronting every single day. Even now, here it is winter. I have never experienced such cold. I need to wear gloves over my hands but I would rather this than sweating on a mild day plas all the other garbage that comes with it.

I have stopped focusing of Protein and switched to chocolate but I need to do better. I like the fact that I have more strength where before I could only walk part three houses and I was done. My weight has been a life long issue. Richard Simmons passed away recently. I remember working out to his album in the 80's. I played the songs and my body remembered the exercises. I am not new to this game but the struggle continues. I suppose that is a little aside.

What do you mean about genetic testing? How does this help to find the right anti depressant? Sounds so much better that the p'doc trying the hit and miss method with medications. Have many people found it to be helpful?

I really do need to find a new way to set small goals. Not sure what they are yet. But I am going to see my doctor tomorrow. Hmmmm, Wish me luck.

13 hours ago, SemperVeritas said:

Hi, sorry to hear about your struggles 😔 it can be so tough! I'm 17m post op bypass, and although my team was happy with my loss at one year post op, I wanted to lose more and was really aware of how much I wanted to eat, like I never stopped thinking about food. I started taking compounded semaglutide in April, and the low doses didn't do much for me, but I've recently reached the therapeutic dose, and it has been great! Just this morning I hit a normal BMI, something I thought I could never do. I've been thinking about posting about my experience with it, because it was made a huge difference in both my physical appetite and my thoughts about food. I weighed 157 at my one year post-op, and 144.8 this morning! And most of that has come off just the last two months.

Any drawbacks - I have had a few "learning experiences" like I did post-op, but overall it's been fine. If your doctor thinks it might be worth a trial, maybe give it a try. ☺️ I know it's making a big difference for lots of people.

Really appreciate your kind words SemperVeritas. It is good to hear that taking semaglutide was a helpful and positive experience for you. Yes, being obsessed with thinking about food is horrid and is driving me battier. I just want the thoughts to stop. Even now I think that my doctor will say no just because he can. I am still classified as obese (Loathe that word) and doubt that I would lose any more weight but maybe if it can help you it can help me. Kinda scared to try it and scared not having it too. Crossing my fingers for tomorrow - about 12 hours from now. Thanks again.

I took Ozempic for about 2 years prior to my surgery, specifically for diabetes II. For me, it worked great and lowering my blood sugars, but while I did notice a small change in appetite it didn't really do much for me on that end. I did notice that it made me react with nausea to any food that was higher in sugar or carbs, which did help as I started to learn the 'punishment' outweighed my desire to eat those foods.

Perhaps also speak to your team or GP and work with you or your P'Doc to find a depression medication that works better for you? I know that for me at least, I had absolutely horrible absorption of my SSRIs and anxiety meds since I had my gastric bypass. Part of my particular problem was the timing of supplements, low Iron and the effects of dairy / whey were interfering with the absorption of my meds, so I worked with my pharmacist to design a better timing schedule. Within days I saw a difference.

Is this your first time on meds for depression / etc? Because not every med is right for everyone, so it may be a matter of finding the right kind of med for you particularly. I've suffered anxiety & depression since I was a teen, and have been on and off meds over the years -- but every single time I would go back on to medication, I usually would have to cycle through 1-3 different meds before we'd find one that worked. Some were too strong, some made me jittery, some did absolutely nothing lol.

And as I mentioned, iron. Anemia and iron deficiencies can add or exacerbate depression and anxiety. If it's been a while since your last blood panel, maybe see if they can run another lab to check your iron levels. You don't need anything dragging you down needlessly. ❤️

I can't help with the appetite, but if you ever need someone extra to talk to about depression & all that, please send me a DM.

On 08/04/2024 at 05:55, Possum220 said:

I had my bypass in May 22. Happily and I needed to,\ I have lost a decent amount of weight after the bypass. My diet has been much improved. I go for walks most days and attend a gym once a week. On the down side depression has been kicking my butt and I have recently been hospitalized because of it. I spent a month inside and tried a new medication but it didnt seem to do anything for me so My P'doc said to stop taking it.

Ever since then appetite has skyrocketed and it is causing me so much distress which I try to fix by eating. Yes, the cycle continues. So far my weight has not altered much but that wont stay the same forever. My psychiatrist has suggest that I ask my GP to prescribe Ozempic. Yes, I am a diabetic but since the bypass have managed my bsls with exercise and diet.

Has anybody added Ozempic to help with their wls journey? Were there any draw backs. WHat else have you tried to get help with food addiction.

Hi Possum220! I feel like you are very honest and courageous to ask for help because it’s the true first step. Yes, I have been seriously depressed before and yes I am mortified by regain. My last serious depression was way before WLS but I know that the longer it goes without help, the longer it stays. I’m going to suggest you start your healing journey there because it’s life threatening. Please continue to advocate for yourself and your health in that regard!

As regards regain, I have had some success with “Glucose Goddess.” Look her up, she’s on all social media platforms. She is a scientist and mathematician who got into a serious accident and needed to heal herself. She cites all the medical papers that she has researched, peer reviewed, and published. You can by her book, but I’m just watching YouTube to get the basics right now. Eating veg, then Protein, then carb has seriously slowed my hunger AND stopped the near daily dumping I was experiencing. I was never diabetic but I think the severe dumping syndrome of WLS was making me the equivalent. I swear getting my blood sugar under control has been a game changer. Many studies report lessening depression and less anxiety. It has helped me with asthma because it reduces inflammation. I have lost four pounds this week, and all I did was change the order of foods I eat.

So, depression is like asthma, you need to treat it first. But the Glucose Goddess has practical applications that help with those problems and helps with weight loss too. (By the way, it has helped even though I’m on a new medication that has even more steroids too.) I’m wishing you the best! Keep up with therapy and finding a med that works:) You are not alone. Let us know how you’re doing and what you found that helps.

I have a very high appetite, but the problem for me is restriction! I can't seem to get a lot down me. If I try to fight against it, I end up vomiting. Would prefer to be able to get a decent amount down me, but alas it's not happening.

I was on Ozempic for my sugar and I did not lose any weight. My sugar numbers were beautiful BUT I ended up with gastroparesis and that was not fun. I wasn't digesting all my food and I would end up with horrific episodes of vomiting and something I ate 3 days previous would come up. It was awful.