Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So as you can see, I'm well below my goal weight. I'm not super excited about it because I'm looking really boney and too skinny. I'm normally getting 70-90g of Protein per day, but I can only work out on weekends because I work all week and don't get home until 6 or 6:30 at night. I eat 3 meals and 2 Snacks normally, although for the last 3 weeks I've added another snack in there. I started adding a Protein Shake in with my lunch because that's usually my lightest meal of the day, and I want to make sure I'm hitting my protein goals for the day. But it looks like I'm losing muscle, and I REALLY don't like that.

I tried reaching out to my nutritionist and she said to add more carbs, but I'm SUPER sensitive to them, and if I eat too many, I get really sick. I can push it to about 35-40 per day, but after that, I get HELLA sick. So I've been trying to load up more on my protein and increase to 80-100g per day, but I'm STILL dropping weight and STILL looking boney and too skinny. Not only that, but I feel like I'm losing strength. I'm REALLY upset by this. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can reverse this???? I'm starting to look and feel sickly, and I don't like it at all.

i know this may sound too simple, but really, you just have to eat more. If not in volume, then in calories. it doesn't have to be carbs if you can't tolerate them, but it can be fats. there are 9 calories per gram of fat..more than double the amount of calories per gram of either Protein or carbohydrates.

avocados (240 cals for just one medium one).

macadamia nuts (204 cals for 1 oz)...if you don't like nuts, try the nut butter version.

"super' full fat greek yogurt i.e., 9% M.F. (200 cals for 3/4 cup)

and my personal favourite and go-to high calorie/low volume snack: chicharron! (i.e., pork rinds): 150 cals for 1oz, 9g protein, 5g fat, ZERO carbs.

p.s. also, eating so little carbohydrates is probably contributing to what you say you are not liking about your appearance (i.e., looking too skinny or gaunt). most people find that re-introducing (a "normal" amount of) carbohydrates into their diets after a long hiatus rounds out their appearance again and reduces that gaunt look.

15 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

i know this may sound too simple, but really, you just have to eat more. If not in volume, then in calories. it doesn't have to be carbs if you can't tolerate them, but it can be fats. there are 9 calories per gram of fat..more than double the amount of calories per gram of either Protein or carbohydrates.

avocados (240 cals for just one medium one).

macadamia nuts (204 cals for 1 oz)...if you don't like nuts, try the nut butter version.

"super' full fat greek yogurt i.e., 9% M.F. (200 cals for 3/4 cup)

and my personal favourite and go-to high calorie/low volume snack: chicharron! (i.e., pork rinds): 150 cals for 1oz, 9g Protein, 5g fat, ZERO carbs.

p.s. also, eating so little carbohydrates is probably contributing to what you say you are not liking about your appearance (i.e., looking too skinny or gaunt). most people find that re-introducing (a "normal" amount of) carbohydrates into their diets after a long hiatus rounds out their appearance again and reduces that gaunt look.

This is awesome, thanks!!! Yeah, I've been low carb for so long that my body just doesn't tolerate them anymore. But I'll look into keeping my protein up and adding in more fats. I've been keeping my fats at 40-50 per day, but I'm going to look into doubling that and see how it goes. I actually really like Pork rinds, so I'm going to grab some for Snacks. I didn't even think of those!!! I will slowly try to bring my carbs up to around 50 per day if I can, but it was easier when I was working out 5 days per week. Now that I'm not, it's a lot harder to do. But I'm going to work on that, as well. Thanks!!

as I've said before, just remember that most of us do have a 10-20 lb bounce back regain during year 3. Not only that, but even before that, your fat distribution starts to change and shift around and you start looking better, even if you don't gain any weight.

I, too, got too thin - but I sure as heck am not thin anymore! I gained back more like 30 lbs. I really did need to gain a good 15 lbs or so, but not 30! (I still look OK, but I'd love to lose those unwanted 15 lbs. Which isn't easy when you're at or near normal BMI...)

I felt very weak when I was at my lightest as well - but I no longer did after that rebound weight started piling on..

Would ‘healthier’ carbs help? Whole meal toast/wraps/pitta for example? Potatoes left in their skins, baked sweet potatoes, healthy fats as @ms.ssspointed out - whole fat milk/yoghurts, nuts etc.

Just try things slowly so your body can get used to what you’re trying to do 🙂

1 hour ago, MrsFitz said:

Would ‘healthier’ carbs help? Whole meal toast/wraps/pitta for example? Potatoes left in their skins, baked sweet potatoes, healthy fats as @ms.ssspointed out - whole fat milk/yoghurts, nuts etc.

Just try things slowly so your body can get used to what you’re trying to do 🙂

I'm lactose intolerant since my revision lol potatoes seem to really make me sick. But I have an air fryer now, so I wonder if I can maybe slice them thin and fry them and try them that way....maybe I'll try that tonight and see how it goes. Thanks!!!

11 minutes ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

I'm lactose intolerant since my revision lol potatoes seem to really make me sick. But I have an air fryer now, so I wonder if I can maybe slice them thin and fry them and try them that way....maybe I'll try that tonight and see how it goes. Thanks!!!

My son makes wedges in his air-fryer with potatoes sprayed with oil and then tossed in paprika, herbs etc. Can you take something before eating potatoes to help overcome the lactose intolerance? (No idea if this is a ‘thing’) Have you tried making overnight oats as a way of upping your carb intake? You could make it with full fat milk and full fat Greek yoghurt too 🙂

I’m sensitive to carbs (dumping) and totally lactose intolerant. I can eat potatoes if there’s Protein with it, but it can still backfire on me. I agree with Ms. Sss. I feel better with one once of walnut, almonds, or avocado, basically a healthy fat mixed with blueberries or whatever else you want. (I need to measure one ounce fruit but you know yourself better). I tried healthy fats to add some calories and now they help me maintain. I have to measure it because the 3 year rebound is upon me. You do you. Other later night fat snack ideas are one teaspoon Peanut Butter, or one teaspoon of liquid Omega3 orange Syrup from Vitamin Shop, or one ounce of real Vermont cheddar cheese. Hard aged cheeses are basically lactose free.

When I was trying to slow my weight loss I was snacking 5 x a day. I felt like I was eating all day long. In time my meal sizes got a little larger though I still snack 3-4 x a day to get the calories in. Peanut paste, nuts, Protein Bar, string cheese, yoghurt. baked fava Beans or chick peas, half an apple, small bunch of grapes, & my left over rolled oats, yoghurt & dried cranberry Breakfast are all snack options. I’m a full fat milk & full fat Salad Dressing girl too. No low fat foods in my kitchen (in many cases it’s high sugar &/or high salt to compensate for the low fat).

I wouldn’t get worried yet. Yes there is the bounce back many experience to keep in mind. Your remaining fat will resettle and changes your body shape & you’ll look less gaunt especially in the face. Much like we tell people while they’re losing not to worry about the number on the scales too much, the same is true now while things are stabilising.

Though you say you look bony & too skinny how much of this is body dysmorphia & you’re not really seeing yourself? Are you too skinny or is it too skinny in comparison to how big you were before? Are you really seeing bones sticking out or just seeing some shadowing of bones or feeling bones which you’ve never seen or felt before or have forgotten? It takes time to really see yourself after weight loss. Our brains can really twist our thinking.

14 hours ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

This is awesome, thanks!!! Yeah, I've been low carb for so long that my body just doesn't tolerate them anymore. But I'll look into keeping my Protein up and adding in more fats. I've been keeping my fats at 40-50 per day, but I'm going to look into doubling that and see how it goes. I actually really like Pork rinds, so I'm going to grab some for Snacks. I didn't even think of those!!! I will slowly try to bring my carbs up to around 50 per day if I can, but it was easier when I was working out 5 days per week. Now that I'm not, it's a lot harder to do. But I'm going to work on that, as well. Thanks!!

I can absolutely understand where you are coming from - I have a friend going through this about a year past her Gastric Bypass and it is one of the reasons I opted for the SADI instead (not that I know this will make a difference in terms of weight loss!) I'm a bit worried about getting to this point myself, where the weight keeps coming off - but then again, I seem to always need SOMETHING to worry about. My surgery is Monday morning.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people who have commented here and I'm taking notes on their suggestions! That said - it kind of sounds like you might be remaining in ketosis from being so low sugar / low carb and I wonder if that's what is causing your continued significant weight loss? When I went shopping for all of my sugar-free items for my liquid diet I noticed there were Keto versions and low-carb versions of some items. The advice given to add a small serving of potatoes or healthy fats like avocado sounds really smart and might help with that.

I bet it also gets tiring hearing people comment on your weight loss. Has that been hard? Just curious - and honestly, even if you aren't right where you want to be atm - congratulations! It's a HUGE accomplishment to have reached this point and know what weight you LIKE your body at, and I hope you give yourself lots of pats on the back!

Hey! That sounds like a really frustrating problem @SleeveToBypass2023
I actually have dealt with a similar issue in the past.
I have to track my calories to prevent losing too much weight.
One suggestion I have if it doesn't end up being a calories issue is to plug everything you're eating into cronometerto have a look on if any nutrients are lacking as insufficiency or deficiency can affect metabolism in cases. Cronometer isn't 100% accurate here but you can independently validate any nutrients of concern.
Good luck and I'm rooting for you!

23 hours ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

< ... > I'm normally getting 70-90g of Protein  per day,

< ... >

I can push it to about 35-40 [carbs] per day, but after that, I get HELLA sick.

22 hours ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

. I've been keeping my fats at 40-50 per day, but I'm going to look into doubling that and see how it goes.

ok, so i did quick math on your macros and u are currently consuming less than 900 cals a day (i used the mid point of all your reported ranges). this calorie level (which doesn't take into account exercise) is weight loss level calories, unless you are like 4'10" tall. so its no wonder you are still losing weight.

if you double your fats, you could reach up to 1300 a day, which is closer to maintenance level for some, but i suspect you'll need more based on your height and activity level.

aside: i am a shrinking 5'2", and have been maintaining a range of 115-120 lbs for over 5 years at a calorie range of 1800-2300+ a day (it all depends on my activity level).

currently, im on a (so far) 10-mnth long, high volume exercise kick so i average about 2100 these days. i weighed 116 this morning.

further, as is my m.o., i dont eat alot of volume at once, but i eat often (i.e., im a card-carrying grazer lol)...otherwise i would not be able to reach my maintenance calorie level.

Thank you all so much!!! I'm definitely taking note of all of this. I've gone shopping and added more fats and a little higher carbs to my diet. I'm at around 1300 calories per day on average, but I'm working on upping the fats and carbs a bit. I'm also looking to keep my Protein at around 100g per day if it's at all possible. Not sure about increasing the sugar and salt intake too much. I HAVE had to start using a little bit of Himalayan salt because my bp has been running super low since my hysterectomy (it's been 3 months and it stays around 97/50, sometimes a little lower) and we're trying to get it to come up. Last time I went to the doctor for my 12 week post op appt it was 88/51, so not having a lot of luck there just yet. I don't like the taste of salt anymore, so adding it to nearly everything is tough, but I'm working on it. Thanks again for all of the suggestions!!!

OH, and the potatoes are going to be tried tonight. I'm hoping the carbs won't make me sick. And I can't do any kind of cow's milk at all because I'm severely lactose intolerant, so I use almond milk and non dairy cheese and nutritional yeast. Should I be looking at muscle building exercises, and if so, which ones do you recommend? Maybe I should try to bulk up just a little......

10 hours ago, Arabesque said:

When I was trying to slow my weight loss I was snacking 5 x a day. I felt like I was eating all day long. In time my meal sizes got a little larger though I still snack 3-4 x a day to get the calories in. Peanut paste, nuts, Protein Bar, string cheese, yoghurt. baked fava Beans or chick peas, half an apple, small bunch of grapes, & my left over rolled oats, yoghurt & dried cranberry Breakfast are all snack options. I’m a full fat milk & full fat Salad Dressing girl too. No low fat foods in my kitchen (in many cases it’s high sugar &/or high salt to compensate for the low fat).

I wouldn’t get worried yet. Yes there is the bounce back many experience to keep in mind. Your remaining fat will resettle and changes your body shape & you’ll look less gaunt especially in the face. Much like we tell people while they’re losing not to worry about the number on the scales too much, the same is true now while things are stabilising.

Though you say you look bony & too skinny how much of this is body dysmorphia & you’re not really seeing yourself? Are you too skinny or is it too skinny in comparison to how big you were before? Are you really seeing bones sticking out or just seeing some shadowing of bones or feeling bones which you’ve never seen or felt before or have forgotten? It takes time to really see yourself after weight loss. Our brains can really twist our thinking.

I don't like how I look. My collar bones, ribs and breast bones stick out. My hands, feet, and wrists are incredibly boney. My hands and feet are super veiny and unhealthy looking. My cheeks look sunken in. My size 5 ring doesn't fit (too big) but I can't go any smaller because I can't fit it over my knuckle then. A regular Bracelet is too big for my wrist now. My shoulder bones protrude. I can't even get a massage because my bones are so prominent that it makes the person massaging me uncomfortable and it makes the massage not feel great.

So I'm about the same size that I was in high school. I weighed 160 my senior year when I was going into the military. I weigh 176 now. I've had kids, so I don't expect to get to my high school weight. REALLY hope I don't lose another 16 pounds!!!

But I'm in a size large now (XL is getting a bit big now) and I haven't even had my skin surgeries yet. I have to be able to maintain my weight for a year before I can have it, and so far I haven't been able to stop losing to be able to be in maintenance. Hopefully my body levels out soon...

I know about the 2-3 year rebound weight gain, and I'm actually looking forward to it lol My final goal was 190, so even if I gain 10 pounds, that still puts me below goal. I'd like to maybe get to 185-187 and maintain so I can have my skin surgery (I may drop another 3-5 pounds after that, but more importantly, I'll likely go down a size because of how much skin I have that will be removed).