Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone used a Babyfood Puree Maker for their pureed food stage?

Just wondering if anyone has experience using one of those 'Baby food maker' appliances to make the pureed food after VSG surgery?

They are quite cheap on Amazon.ca and look very easy to use - I know if there is lots of effort involved I will find it hard make a varied diet of pureed foods.

I had a baby food maker for my babies and I thought it was more work than what it was worth if I am being honest.

That phase is so short - honestly if you have a blender or any other way to puree food (including pushing through a sieve!) it seems like something you mightn't get a lot of use from.

I’d just use a blender too. Believe me, you’ll be praying for the purée stage to be over. It’s like food but not food, the texture & the temporary changes to your taste buds really kick making so much disgusting. It can be a struggle to find something to eat at times. Not worth buying a new appliance to use for two weeks. (Though if you haven’t got a blender they’re always handy to have 😉).

I just used a normal blender.

Unless you have the need for a babyfood puree machine in the future I would think it is not worth the price, or another piece of equipment in a kitchen. If you don't have a blender at all I would recommend buying one as that will probably get more use in the long term.

My brother & SIL had one from their kids that they barely used, so they lent it to me. I used it once and was frustrated with the clean up lol. I ended up investing all of $30 (CAD) in a handheld immersion blender off Amazon -- mostly because I'd wanted one for a while anyway. It was super useful but I have to admit that after the puree stage, I use it maaaaybe once a week.

Posted (edited)

I couldn’t stand the taste or anything being puréed that wasn’t supposed to come that way. Purées meat just sounded so disgusting to me. I lived off of refried Beans, mashed potatoes (some plans do not allow these) and the ricotta bake.

The ricotta bake was my favorite actually. If you haven’t heard of it you can do a search for it. It’s basically lasagna without the noodles. Some of the recipes use egg which would add Protein and bake in oven but I just did the ricotta, sauce and mozzarella in the microwave. I still make it from time to time adding in sautéed peppers and onions or zucchini and onions.

I was still allowed anything from the previous stage so you should be still allowed to have shakes if you need them to meat your protein goal. If you are thinking you will just have what your family is having but puréed though I guess it coukdnt hurt to try it. I mean if Amazon.ca is like US Amazon it’s pretty easy to return stuff. Just open it carefully so you can get it back together for shipping and try it out. If you don’t love it, you should know pretty well after the first use. Just send it back and get your money back.

i actually have a regular nutra bullet that I like for smoothies. Never tried it for puree but im pretty sure it would work and then you will have something you can use later for smoothies (if your team allows them-some say no to drinking any calories).

Actually just googled and reviews say the magic bullet is better for purée but still good for smoothies, dressings and all that.

Edited by ShoppGirl