Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared of post op recovery.

Hi everyone.

I'm a bit of a complicated outlier, as my duodenal switch will be a modified duodenal switch with Demeester adjustment. I'm getting a duodenal switch for biliary diversion ( bile reflux). And I have a herniated stomach, so it will need a hernia repair.

This means my stomach will not be reduced, but it will be restored in terms of hernia. And the new bile limb will only be around a 100 to a 150cm down. Enough to prevent bile from flowing into my stomach, but less malabsorption and weight loss issues.

The issue is, that my stomach gas gastroptosis ( which means it is very elongated and stretched down towards my pelvis) this means it is quite painful and traumatic when vomiting occurs.

I have read so many horror stories about vomiting post op or even within the first 3 to 6 months. I'm wondering, does that mainly occur due to reduction of the stomach? Or is it an unavoidable cause of the new limbs being created.

I'm terrified of obstructions, ileus and other nasty complications.

I had bypass, but from illustrations posted on here it looks like the stomach gets smaller in the switch operations too. There is a healing phase which takes a while. It seems to take a 2-3 week longer process if you’re a person with reflux issues. Some of that process is testing what your body can tolerate at different stages. I had a hard time getting eggs or chicken down. I still have trouble with turkey 3 years out but it may be a sensitivity at this point. Mostly all foods are fine now. The funniest/cute thing is the regurgitation is like a baby burp. The new stomach is so small! Seriously, a baby burp that’s quick and fast and tiny.

The yuckiest for me was a communion wafer. It’s made of wheat. It’s hard and dry, and Covid was still on so no sharing the wine. I still hold it in my mouth until it’s thoroughly wet, then swallow. It got stuck and I had the “foamies” which is basically like dry heaving for a long length of time and it was painful.

The whole problem of foamies can be avoided by taking small bites, chew thoroughly and try to use some sauce type thing to help food slide down. Stick to the stages and extend them a week or two if you’re worried, but talk to your team about it first.

Ignore the stomach size stuff because you’re saying your stomach will remain the same. Interesting, I admit I know nothing.

Posted (edited)

I had a sleeve revised to a SADI or modified switch and I am 13 days post op and haven’t vomited once. Because my stomach wasn’t revised I could physically eat anything I think. I just have to eat the smaller, liquid first And now purée foods so that my intestines have a chance to heal. I think the reason most people vomit is when their stomach is first cut and they have a ton of swelling on too of it being small and they eat too much. That shouldn’t be an issue for you since your stomach is already healed. Unless that hernia repair involves cutting your stomach. Then you could still have the mflammation but your stomach will still be much larger so I think you will be okay. Plus, isn’t it possible that vomiting would be less painful once they fix everything.

Edited by ShoppGirl