Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone have any personal experience using any egg-white powders for Protein, specifically in cooking or adding to other foods in lieu of other protein powders? I'm looking at NOW's egg white powder and a couple of Canadian brands (Muskoka Mornings & Canadian Protein), but if you've successfully tried another brand I'm all ears.

Do you find the eggy taste strong or mild when you use it mixed in other items? How hard is it to dissolve? What did you use it in?

I've read mixed reviews on both aspects across a few different brands now -- some people saying it takes a lot of 'elbow grease' to dissolve and still has a strong eggy texture, others saying they barely notice it.

Specifically, I'm having trouble getting enough protein at Breakfast time. Due to my meds schedule, I can't have dairy/calcium until 10/10:30, but I eat breakfast around 7am. Usually it's a high protein Cereal and almond milk, or lately oatmeal made with almond milk or Water -- but the oatmeal is usually 6g of protein or lower, and the cereal nets out to about 8. I've tried adding my usual protein powders but -- of course -- most the ones I can stand are whey-based. Not to mention, the texture when added to my oatmeal is just ugh. (I've got so many texture issues lately, ugh). Basically I'm looking for another option I can add to oatmeal (sweet or savoury).

((I've tried Peanut Butter powder these past two days and it's good -- just not something I can handle every day. I'm experimenting later this week with some other seeds & nuts, but most of them are too high fat for me as the first meal of the day and just don't offer enough protein.

I've also gotten some chickpeas, I've heard that mashing some up and mixing it into the oatmeal before cooking will work as it has a bland enough flavour to not stand out and will come out roughly the same as oatmeal. That's tomorrow's experiment XD))

Any opinions are greatly welcomed!! :)

never tried egg white powder but what about egg whites? Like in a carton? I eat those every single day. I get a 6pack at costco in cartons and they last me about a month.

4 hours ago, MrsFitz said:

Would an unflavoured pea Protein work? Or a Protein Water to have with your existing Breakfast?

Just checked the protein Water I have and it’s whey protein 😢

Posted (edited)

Ignore this. I had an idea but it says contains milk.

Edited by ShoppGirl

10 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

Just checked the Protein Water I have and it’s whey protein 😢

Just checked with mine - readymade has no whey protein, the stuff you mix yourself has ☹️ I guess it’s just a case of reading labels.

Why do they have to make things so difficult???

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, MrsFitz said:

Just checked with mine - readymade has no whey Protein, the stuff you mix yourself has ☹️ I guess it’s just a case of reading labels.

Why do they have to make things so difficult???

Mine is readymade too but Im sure like anything else it will vary from brand to brand. What brand is yours without whey? Will be good to know if Dairy is an issue for me post SADI because I like the protein Water better than the shakes. What’s so difficult for me is that I can’t see the darn labels. 😆. Im just getting to this stage in life so I never have my readers when I need them. I usually take a picture so I can zoom in to read it. Pain in the butt.

Edited by ShoppGirl

48 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

Mine is readymade too but Im sure like anything else it will vary from brand to brand. What brand is yours without whey? Will be good to know if Dairy is an issue for me post SADI because I like the Protein Water better than the shakes. What’s so difficult for me is that I can’t see the darn labels. 😆. Im just getting to this stage in life so I never have my readers when I need them. I usually take a picture so I can zoom in to read it. Pain in the butt.

I’ve just had to admit defeat and have bi-focal lenses put in my frames as it was becoming more and more difficult to read the small stuff while out and about! I’ve taken pictures of shelf edges for pricing info because I couldn’t get close enough to read them 🤓

The brand I use is WOW Hydrate. We have it at our costco (just ordered more) plus it can be ordered from Amazon. The summer berries is really good, it’s one of my favourite products at the moment. They are lactose, gluten, fat and sugar free.

2 hours ago, MrsFitz said:

I’ve just had to admit defeat and have bi-focal lenses put in my frames as it was becoming more and more difficult to read the small stuff while out and about! I’ve taken pictures of shelf edges for pricing info because I couldn’t get close enough to read them 🤓

The brand I use is WOW Hydrate. We have it at our costco (just ordered more) plus it can be ordered from Amazon. The summer berries is really good, it’s one of my favourite products at the moment. They are lactose, gluten, fat and sugar free.

See if you already wear glasses I think it would be at least an LITTlE easier because at least your have them with you. I am just not used to needing them yet so I can never find them when I need them. Despite buying the dollar tree version in bulk. I’m sure like everything else I will get used to it eventually.

The Protein Water sounds awesome. Guess they named it correctly because all I can say is WOW. Sounds great. Thanks.

Egg whites & eggs themselves are still giving me problems. (And chicken. I give one or the other a try every week or so but even two or three small bites induce foamies, no matter how slow I take it or what other foods I bite in between.

Ooh, how did I forget pea Protein existed? That sounds like a win already.

The mashed up chickpeas was... an experience. It wasn't bad, but definitely left the oatmeal with a different taste that I wasn't fond of.

This morning was oatmeal with raw sunflower seeds and some chunks of apple. It was delicious but heavy, and still more fat than I want so early in the morning.

The brightside of the experiment was when I remembered (gasp!) that I don't have to eat classic Breakfast foods for breakfast. I was looking at the portion of un-mashed chickpeas in my fridge this morning (after I already made my darned sunflower seed oatmeal) and finally had the fecking epiphany that I could just toast them up as is -- or as a patty -- and eat them seperately (or instead!) of my oatmeal, and it still wouldn't take much effort in the morning when I'm dragging my feet everywhere I go.

Like. WTH. I knew this. I knew this when I was on purees. I had sweet potato with Bone Broth powder puree for an entire week back then. Why am I overcomplicating my life trying to solve problems that don't have to be problems at all.

So, these surgery hormones, can I blame them for making me slower on the uptake or is my age finally catching up to me? XP

One of the things I love is the fact that I can eat pretty much what I want for whatever meal I want. Breakfast for dinner? Ok. Dinner for breakfast? No problem. Almost feels like when I first got my own place and realized I could eat whatever I wanted and my mom couldn't tell me no lol

Do you have any Protein Shakes you like rhat you can tolorate? And do you like coffee? If so, have you tried “proffee”. I don’t like to cook in morning so even after 3.5 years And all my good habits going out the window, I still enjoy my proffee for Breakfast. I was so relieved fbaf my dr is not a stickler on caffeine so I can still have it on my LSD for revision. Well up until the last two days of all liquid. Only because I can’t stand black coffee

16 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

Do you have any Protein Shakes you like rhat you can tolorate? And do you like coffee? If so, have you tried “proffee”. I don’t like to cook in morning so even after 3.5 years And all my good habits going out the window, I still enjoy my proffee for Breakfast.

The few I like / can handle are all milk-protein or whey Protein, lol. It's this ridiculous little circle of "Ooh, this one isn't dairy/whey! But wait, look, stevia which always tries to murder me. Okay, this other one has sucralose and I'm okay with that -- but it's milk-protein so fml."

I do have one shake or (decaf) profee a day, but usually either split in two as a snack or to replace my lunch (cause lately lunch doesn't want to sit right 80% of the time, unless it's yogurt or shake). Either way, it usually doesn't happen until after 10am because again, dairy/milk and my meds absorbtion issues.

I was really frustrated for a while when I first was having meds / supplement absorbtion issues due to how ridiculously I had to time everything. I've ironed (hehe) out most of the drag so it's easier to handle, but it's still frustrating when I seriously just want my cup of comfort coffee earlier, or am really feeling yogurt for brekkie. My care team says it might be something I have to do for the rest of my life, but my PCP and endocrinologist both say that when my labs come back improved enough that I can cut out out more meds / supplements, I should be able to have a less annoying schedule. We'll see. :)

1 hour ago, JennyBeez said:

The few I like / can handle are all milk-protein or whey Protein, lol. It's this ridiculous little circle of "Ooh, this one isn't dairy/whey! But wait, look, stevia which always tries to murder me. Okay, this other one has sucralose and I'm okay with that -- but it's milk-protein so fml."

I do have one shake or (decaf) profee a day, but usually either split in two as a snack or to replace my lunch (cause lately lunch doesn't want to sit right 80% of the time, unless it's yogurt or shake). Either way, it usually doesn't happen until after 10am because again, dairy/milk and my meds absorbtion issues.

I was really frustrated for a while when I first was having meds / supplement absorbtion issues due to how ridiculously I had to time everything. I've ironed (hehe) out most of the drag so it's easier to handle, but it's still frustrating when I seriously just want my cup of comfort coffee earlier, or am really feeling yogurt for brekkie. My care team says it might be something I have to do for the rest of my life, but my PCP and endocrinologist both say that when my labs come back improved enough that I can cut out out more meds / supplements, I should be able to have a less annoying schedule. We'll see. :)

Well fingers crossed that them labs come back where you need them to be really soon. Until they do, though I think we learn little tricks and ways to adapt to things and it will get easier. Sounds like you are already getting a pretty good handle on it. I am over here still forgetting my darn Calcium. Just realized I forgot it with lunch again today. I think you’re doing awesome. 😎

Hey, @JennyBeez Awesome topic: I would avoid egg white powder. It's very high in methionine, which in convincing model organism studies, has been shown to promote aging and reduce both life & healthspan. I suggest avoiding egg white Protein specifically and if possible focusing on plant-based Proteins, which are relatively low in methionine & isoleucine, another amino acid with evidence suggesting a pro-aging effect. Plant-based proteins can be absorbed similarly to animal based proteins if refined sufficiently, eg as concentrates or isolates

*I am currently earning my PhD (have earned multiple scholarships) and hold a BS in Biology from MIT