Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question: Could this be Dumping Syndrome

Last night about 1/2 hour after dinner, my husband and I went on a 20-25 minute walk. When I got back I was sitting on the couch and I had jumped up to help my husband with something and I got incredibly dizzy for about a minute or so. I suffer from anxiety so I have a little routine I do to calm myself and I since I have Afib I check my ECG and then I take my blood pressure which is always between 117/78 - 122/82. Well I took my blood pressure and it was 103/70. I looked up if dumping syndrome can cause a drop in blood pressure and dizziness and it said it could. I did have a slight stitch in my side while walking but it went away. I didn't have any other stomach distress, no vomiting, no diarrhea, no pain. Just this episode. Has anyone experienced this as part of dumping syndrome? My Iron is also low and I am taking supplements per my doctor, but not sure if that has anything to do with that. Thanks for any input!

I don't think it sounds like dumping...even at almost a year out I will get a little light headed (sometimes even almost passing out) at times when I stand up. My dr said it is due to losing weight, and your heart isn't working as hard anymore to get the blood out. I went from high blood pressure to 110/68 and my resting heart rate is now in the low 50s. Informed me that my body will regulate eventually, veins will shrink, etc. It may also be due to your low Iron.

I don't know about dumping syndrome, but blood pressure changes after WLS can be a struggle. I don't know how much weight you've lost so far, but the more weight lost the more BP can drop.

Are you (or were you) on any BP meds prior to surgery, in addition to dealing with Afib? If so, you might want to discuss with your doctor about reducing the dosage. (Honestly, when it comes to blood pressure I feel like it's safest to talk to your primary doctor regardless)

((For me, I had high blood pressure for years prior due to my weight (anxiety too, so I feel you!). My BP tests have certainly showed a lowering post-op, but I'm still coasting on the line of good BP so my doctor has been hesitant to change anything up yet. Last week, ironically, I've been having some dizzy spells and low-ish BP (nothing lower than 110/68) so my PCP has suggested I halve my meds and keep an eye on how things progress from there. ))

This doesn't sound like dumping, but it does sound like something you should keep an eye on and mention to your doctor if it happens regularly.

that sounds more like orthostatic hypotension (OH) than dumping syndrome. OH is not uncommon the first few months after surgery. But your doctor may want to do a full work up just to be sure. I had some dizziness issues when I was about a year out and they checked for a UTI, OH, inner ear issues, and post-prandial hypoglycemia (also know as reactive hypoglycemia, which can also happen to bypass patients). But given your drop in blood pressure, it sounds like it's most likely OH - but check with your doctor. The "cure" for that is just to get up slowly.

No not dumping. I agree with @catwoman7: Orthostatic hypotension. Your blood pressure dropped from getting up quickly. It’s not that uncommon after surgery while you’re losing and until your body re-regulates itself.

I had it randomly before surgery & now have it every day. Get up slowly. Pause for 10-20 seconds before moving. I’ll reach for something solid to grab if I feel lightheaded and my vision narrows/goes black like a table, wall, chair, a person to ground myself for those few seconds until everything stabilises again & my heart has pumped blood back up to my head. Also find bending over at the waist so my heart and head are aligned helps it pass more quickly.

Let your doctor & team know so they are aware.

Thank you for all your feedback - it is great appreciated!!

11 hours ago, Arabesque said:

No not dumping. I agree with @catwoman7: Orthostatic hypotension. Your blood pressure dropped from getting up quickly. It’s not that uncommon after surgery while you’re losing and until your body re-regulates itself.

I had it randomly before surgery & now have it every day. Get up slowly. Pause for 10-20 seconds before moving. I’ll reach for something solid to grab if I feel lightheaded and my vision narrows/goes black like a table, wall, chair, a person to ground myself for those few seconds until everything stabilises again & my heart has pumped blood back up to my head. Also find bending over at the waist so my heart and head are aligned helps it pass more quickly.

Let your doctor & team know so they are aware.

"No not dumping. I agree with @catwoman7: Orthostatic hypotension. Your blood pressure dropped from getting up quickly. It’s not that uncommon after surgery while you’re losing and until your body re-regulates itself."

Exactly this, I had and am still having this. I was told its probably due to dehydration and I do notice it more when I drink less and down on my overall Water consumption.