Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you eat a cup and a half post sleeve

How many people can eat a cup and a half of food once they are a ways out from sleeve? If not, how much can you eat? I am so sorry for those who are probably getting sick of watching me vascilating but I am getting so close and I am still just not sure if I am making the right decision to revise to SADI. I am so worried that the results he is promising me won’t be what I actually get since I can already eat more than most people with a sleeve. At least with the bypass he would operate on my stomach too. He had seen my sleeve during endoscopy and says it looks good. I don’t know why but I feel like I can eat more than I should and I just don’t know if that’s going to make my results less than others witb a smaller sleeve.

It’s another big surgery that will make other changes to your digestive system so it’s understandable you are still questioning whether to go ahead.

How much I eat depends a lot upon what I’m eating (liquidy, soft or solid) & if I’m in a hungry or not hungry phase. I don’t measure & track, just random checks, but I can eat about 1.25 - 1.5 cups of say Soup. About a cup of a mince & vegetable dish (like savoury mince or bolognese). I can eat about 1.5 cups of milky oats, yoghurt & fruit. And about 3ozs of meat (steak, chicken, lamb, pork) with a good cup of vegetables, Generally I don’t exceed a recommended serving size of what I’m eating. I still eat slowly: 30-45 minutes & still ask myself if I need the next bite or just want it.

For comparison, because I know your other option is a revision to bypass, I am 5 months post RNY and I can already easily eat a cup and a half of some foods, such as Soups, salads, or yogurt and berries. I can often eat 3-4 oz of meat, or a full can of tuna, plus veggies along with it. My brother, who is about 15 years post-sleeve, can finish a regular plate of food in a sitting (by which I mean a reasonable serving of something like chicken, veg, and starch, not what they give you in a restaurant that has 1800 calories and is enough for 3 people).

SADI will probably change your metabolism in a more powerful way than bypass because that is what the research shows it does. But since you've already had a sleeve, it's possible that neither revision will have the full effect on you that it would someone who is getting a surgery for the first time. And whichever option you choose, I do think in the long term, it's less about whether you can eat a certain volume of food and more about what food you choose to eat. Basically all bariatric surgeries typically result in having more capacity the further out you get, so it's what you do with that capacity that makes the difference in success over time.

I can tell you that my brother has regained about half the weight he initially lost not because of how much food he can eat but because of how much beer he drinks every day (he admits as much). And if I regain weight in the future, I already know it will not be because I am eating 6 oz of chicken and 2 cups of steamed broccoli in a sitting. It will be because I haven't managed to curb my sweets cravings (and yes, I can still eat plenty of sugar and fat without getting sick) and too often give into the convenience of processed foods and simple carbs. Those are my weaknesses, so that's what I'm trying to work on now while the effects of the surgery are still fresh. But no surgery can fix it for me, unfortunately.

Basically, any revision you choose at this stage will give you a new and more powerful tool to work with. No surgery will address the underlying destructive habits that lead to weight regain.

you're forgetting that the SADI is a malabsortive surgery (so is DS. RNY has some malabsorption, but not as much as the other two). That's what makes it so powerful. You won't absorb all the calories you eat. This doesn't mean you can eat with abandon, BUT...a percentage of the calories you eat won't be absorbed. So I guess I wouldn't worry too much that they won't be doing anything to your stomach. A lot of the action is going to be in your small intestine. As long as you stick to your plan, you should lose weight.

Posted (edited)

So by 8 months post op with the sleeve, I started having complications. But before that, I was able to eat a cup to a cup and a half of food, depending on what it was. Now a year out from my revision to bypass, I have 2 cups of Protein Cereal, or 1 small piece of steak and 1/4 cup of cheesy peas. Or I can have a can of Soup. I can have 2 chicken drum sticks and 1/4 cup of veggies. It's not so much HOW MUCH you eat as it is WHAT you eat. I'm careful with what I eat, I still log and track everything, and I avoid sugar (or go with no sugar added if it's unavoidable) and rarely use salt (but use Himalayan salt if I REALLY need it). It's about how often you eat and what you're eating. I don't graze. I eat 3 meals and 2 Snacks. I don't drink alcohol (empty calories and carbs), I don't drink soda (again, empty calories and carbs and frankly, don't like the taste anymore), and I made sure to find alternatives to things I use to eat a lot that are healthier but still yummy. I don't feel like I'm deprived because it all tastes good.

Edited by SleeveToBypass2023

Sounds like I am actually a lot better off than I thought I was. As most of you probably know I am on my LSD now which is two shakes and then a low carb dinner of 3oz lean meat, 1 cup of cooked veggies, and 1 cup berries or melon. Well, I do not feel stuffed to the brim, but I am satisfied after just the meat and veggies. I end up having the berries later as a snack which cuts out one of the Snacks I am allowed for the day so win-win. .

What worried me was that this diet was written for someone with normal anatomy and I was getting closer than I thought I should to finishing it. That and some of the plates I’ve seen posted on here by veterans seem to be such tiny portions compared to my 8” plate full. I felt that my restriction was way-way less than anyone else with a sleeve. I worried that even if I was keeping it to healthier choices and some was being malabsorbed that the portion size would still get me in trouble if I don’t eat lean meat and veggies forever. i do realize that it’s more about what the foods are than how much I eat but I would like to add in some other options eventually (for maintenance at least). .

I am fighting against a pretty complex scenario too. Not only am I asking for this surgery to help with obesity but I also have Bipolar Disorder. I have been on meds and doing okay but the meds are not a cure. I still have episodes and during those periods things like healthy food choices are…well…out the window. I try not to keep unhealthy options in the house but I have things i am allowed in moderation and my husband has some bad foods that he eats as well. On top of that I cannot go off of the meds that make me gain. Long story short, I really do need the most aggressive surgery I can get to give me the best chance at this.

it sounds like my stomach is pretty normal for someone that is over a year out though. Some of the doctors redo the sleeve when during a revision which sounds ideal but mine does not. He says I that’s not worth the risks involved. Obviously I don’t want to risk more side effects, complications and lifestyle changes to get the SADI if I’m not going to get anything more out of it than I would a bypass which would also be more likely to resolve my mild gerd. I just wish there was more data to go on. I guess what it boils down to is having to trust my doctors judgement. Past experience witb doctors just make that SO difficult for me.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences with the sleeve and the bypass.🩷 This does help me a great deal. Now I know that I actually am where he should expect me to be in terms of capacity. At least I know he did have all the correct information when he said the SADI was my best option.

17 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

How many people can eat a cup and a half of food once they are a ways out from sleeve? If not, how much can you eat? I am so sorry for those who are probably getting sick of watching me vascilating but I am getting so close and I am still just not sure if I am making the right decision to revise to SADI. I am so worried that the results he is promising me won’t be what I actually get since I can already eat more than most people with a sleeve. At least with the bypass he would operate on my stomach too. He had seen my sleeve during endoscopy and says it looks good. I don’t know why but I feel like I can eat more than I should and I just don’t know if that’s going to make my results less than others witb a smaller sleeve.

"can already eat more than most people with a sleeve".

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I'm never full on the quantity recommended by my bariatric clinics size/portion guidelines, but I still serve exactly what's on the plan. Could I technically eat more? Yes, but I need/want to lose the weight. There is nothing stating in science research people should eat until full. I prepare and eat 3/4 cup and walk away from eating more. Is part of your clinics program talking with dieticians and a psychologist to help with full vs. actual body nutritional need etc?

Your impending sleeve will be the same. You can push the limits and be right back where you are. Start working now on sticking to measured/weighed Portion Control or you might find yourself right back at eating more than you should. Bariatric portion control is not a suggestion, but a requirement. If you want to become healthy and at your goal weight while maintaining it, its a lifetime of measuring what you eat and pushing away from the table - not eating until full. You will always have the ability to push the boundaries - take control of it now! 😁

Its a tough call and its great seeing you doing your due diligence researching and asking questions. Good luck on either your revision or your bypass! I'm sure you'll make the right decision for yourself.

1 hour ago, ShoppGirl said:

Sounds like I am actually a lot better off than I thought I was. As most of you probably know I am on my LSD now which is two shakes and then a low carb dinner of 3oz lean meat, 1 cup of cooked veggies, and 1 cup berries or melon. Well, I do not feel stuffed to the brim, but I am satisfied after just the meat and veggies. I end up having the berries later as a snack which cuts out one of the Snacks I am allowed for the day so win-win. .

What worried me was that this diet was written for someone with normal anatomy and I was getting closer than I thought I should to finishing it. That and some of the plates I’ve seen posted on here by veterans seem to be such tiny portions compared to my 8” plate full. I felt that my restriction was way-way less than anyone else with a sleeve. I worried that even if I was keeping it to healthier choices and some was being malabsorbed that the portion size would still get me in trouble if I don’t eat lean meat and veggies forever. i do realize that it’s more about what the foods are than how much I eat but I would like to add in some other options eventually (for maintenance at least). .

I am fighting against a pretty complex scenario too. Not only am I asking for this surgery to help with obesity but I also have Bipolar Disorder. I have been on meds and doing okay but the meds are not a cure. I still have episodes and during those periods things like healthy food choices are…well…out the window. I try not to keep unhealthy options in the house but I have things i am allowed in moderation and my husband has some bad foods that he eats as well. On top of that I cannot go off of the meds that make me gain. Long story short, I really do need the most aggressive surgery I can get to give me the best chance at this.

it sounds like my stomach is pretty normal for someone that is over a year out though. Some of the doctors redo the sleeve when during a revision which sounds ideal but mine does not. He says I that’s not worth the risks involved. Obviously I don’t want to risk more side effects, complications and lifestyle changes to get the SADI if I’m not going to get anything more out of it than I would a bypass which would also be more likely to resolve my mild gerd. I just wish there was more data to go on. I guess what it boils down to is having to trust my doctors judgement. Past experience witb doctors just make that SO difficult for me.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences with the sleeve and the bypass.🩷 This does help me a great deal. Now I know that I actually am where he should expect me to be in terms of capacity. At least I know he did have all the correct information when he said the SADI was my best option.

So I'm thinking now you're finally comfortable and sure about the SADI, correct? Since you're already doing the LSD, you probably need to know what surgery you're having lol Just eat until you're satisfied, not full. Make smart choices, track what you eat and how often, don't graze, don't cheat (especially in the beginning) and make sure you move your body. Prioritize Protein and fluids. You know the drill. You'll be fine :)

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

So I'm thinking now you're finally comfortable and sure about the SADI, correct? Since you're already doing the LSD, you probably need to know what surgery you're having lol Just eat until you're satisfied, not full. Make smart choices, track what you eat and how often, don't graze, don't cheat (especially in the beginning) and make sure you move your body. Prioritize Protein and fluids. You know the drill. You'll be fine :)

Actually he said I can always decide to do the bypass instead.on surgery day. In fact he asked me if he gets in there and can’t do the SADi for some reason if I want the bypass since he can’t exactly wake me up to ask. I said yes.

I am 90% sure I want the SADI now though. I’m just scared. Scared of the what ifs that are more with the SADI. What if I am one of the ones that has problematic diarrhea that doesn’t resolve, what if my lifelong commitment to PPI’s causes ulcers or kidney issues. Even worse, what if that results in my needing a transplant now that I know that’s a problem because i can’t absorb the anti rejection meds properly.

It was so much easier when I thought bypass was my only option. Now that I have a choice I am just petrified I am going to make the wrong one. I thought about postponing for a little while but I honestly don’t think that I am ever going to get to the point that I am 100% certain in my decision either way.

I don’t think any amount of research is going to give me the clear cut assurance that I want. I know that I will lose with either surgery and that they both carry risks. I am just letting my anxiety get the best of me I think. I guess I really do just have to take the plunge with one of them and hope for the best.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure how you define "veteran", but at nine years out (and that would definitely make me a veteran!), I don't eat tiny portions. I eat about the same amount as my never-been-obese women friends who are watching their intake. So more like a "light eater". I can eat 3 oz of meat, but I'm not sure I could eat the vegetables and fruit with that. I would probably eat half the meat and the whole cup of vegetables - and save the berries for a snack. So yea - I guess less than what you listed, but not what I'd consider tiny portions.

P.S. I could eat 1.5 C of yogurt. But meat is pretty dense and it really fills me up (and I actually rarely eat it - I'm mostly veg)

Edited by catwoman7

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

I'm not sure how you define "veteran", but at nine years out (and that would definitely make me a veteran!), I don't eat tiny portions. I eat about the same amount as my never-been-obese women friends who are watching their intake. So more like a "light eater". I can eat 3 oz of meat, but I'm not sure I could eat the vegetables and fruit with that. I would probably eat half the meat and the whole cup of vegetables - and save the berries for a snack. So yea - I guess less than what you listed, but not what I'd consider tiny portions.

P.S. I could eat 1.5 C of yogurt. But meat is pretty dense and it really fills me up.

Yea. I don’t eat all three either. I eat the meat and veggies And save the fruit for a snack later. I thought I said that, maybe I wasn’t clear. Anyways, it sounds like I still can eat a little bit more than you because I can eat all the meat and you would eat half. But still we are not nearly as different as I previously thought. I thought I could eat WAY more than others with the surgery. When I say Veterans I’m talking mostly about the people still posting on the food before and afters that we’re posting when I had my sleeve 3.5 years ago. It seems ljke their portions are still pretty tiny. But maybe thats Just what they limit themselves to and not what makes them full.

Edited by ShoppGirl

3 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

Actually he said I can always decide to do the bypass instead.on surgery day. In fact he asked me if he gets in there and can’t do the SADi for some reason if I want the bypass since he can’t exactly wake me up to ask. I said yes.

I am 90% sure I want the SADI now though. I’m just scared. Scared of the what ifs that are more with the SADI. What if I am one of the ones that has problematic diarrhea that doesn’t resolve, what if my lifelong commitment to PPI’s causes ulcers or kidney issues. Even worse, what if that results in my needing a transplant now that I know that’s a problem because i can’t absorb the anti rejection meds properly.

It was so much easier when I thought bypass was my only option. Now that I have a choice I am just petrified I am going to make the wrong one. I thought about postponing for a little while but I honestly don’t think that I am ever going to get to the point that I am 100% certain in my decision either way.

I don’t think any amount of research is going to give me the clear cut assurance that I want. I know that I will lose with either surgery and that they both carry risks. I am just letting my anxiety get the best of me I think. I guess I really do just have to take the plunge with one of them and hope for the best.

Personally, I say go with the bypass. But if you're wanting super aggressive, then maybe the SADI is the way to go. How much weight are you lookin to lose? They say you don't lose as much with ANY revision. I got mine because of complications with the sleeve. But I lost 113 pounds in 8 months with the sleeve before all hell broke loose and my complications started. When I had the revision to bypass, I was told to expect to lose 45-50 pounds more, with the high side being 60. Welllll, I've lost 96 pounds since I had the revision 13 months ago...so...yeah. Bypass recovery was a breeze, corrected all my issues, and I kept losing. If you're this anxious and nervous and even scared about the SADI, maybe go with the bypass. You can certainly lose a lot, even though it's a revision. But no matter what surgery you choose, you still have to do the work, stick to the meal plan, track what you're eating, and move your body.

22 minutes ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

Personally, I say go with the bypass. But if you're wanting super aggressive, then maybe the SADI is the way to go. How much weight are you lookin to lose? They say you don't lose as much with ANY revision. I got mine because of complications with the sleeve. But I lost 113 pounds in 8 months with the sleeve before all hell broke loose and my complications started. When I had the revision to bypass, I was told to expect to lose 45-50 pounds more, with the high side being 60. Welllll, I've lost 96 pounds since I had the revision 13 months ago...so...yeah. Bypass recovery was a breeze, corrected all my issues, and I kept losing. If you're this anxious and nervous and even scared about the SADI, maybe go with the bypass. You can certainly lose a lot, even though it's a revision. But no matter what surgery you choose, you still have to do the work, stick to the meal plan, track what you're eating, and move your body.

Good for you with your loss. I guess you showed them!!

i would love to lose it all but I know that not likely going to happen with either of these surgeries. I was not always obese. In fact, I was quite tiny until I was 25. I started gaining right around the time my bipolar manifested and i started on the meds. I have lost weight here and there but overall I have gained steadily ever since. I was used to seeing myself thin more than half my life, though and i have not been happy with my body since I was like 30. I often see people on here say they see a stranger when they lose weight but I still see a stranger when I look in the mirror now.

I realize that I am not in my twenties anymore and I’m not going to be a size one again but if I had a magic wand I would love to be close. I set my goal to 180 with the sleeve and I did surpass that a bit but I still wasn’t happy if I’m being honest. The dr had told me that I would probably get to around 150 so when I didn’t I was pretty let down. This time I think I will be happier to get to the 168 than I was before. Now I realize that I was at least healthy at that weight but I would still keep trying to go a little lower if I could.

i think I will figure it out in terms of the surgery once I calm down a bit. The logical part of me knows that either one will get me to a much healthier weight, which is the most important thing. I don’t know why I am freaking out so much this time when I was so calm with my sleeve. I do have some pretty major stuff happening in my personal life that’s occupying a lot of my brainpower this time so maybe that’s why this decision is feeling so overwhelming.

I really do appreciate all of your kind and thoughtful responses as well as everyone else’s here. I don’t think I would’ve made it this far without the support of this community. ❤️

Not really a cup based measuring person as that is a US basis and while I am not "ways out" I can at times, depends on the day and also what I am eating, eat more than a cup and a half (I think if I understand the measurement conversions).

Last week I had approx 1/3 of a pizza when out for dinner. I then had the same portion (leftovers) for lunch and dinner the next day. I would think that they would be more than a cup and a half.

At home I will have usually 150g yoghurt for Breakfast and my dinner is usually 160ml chicken or mince dish (as I portion them all out and freeze) but I will add things to these - like a bit of fruit and/or chai seeds to the yoghurt and have a post dinner desert of some dark chocolate or nuts.

Lunch depends on if homeworking or office based, or even if weekend but if at home it is usually one of my homemade meals again about 160ml or a salad at work of about 250g.

One day for lunch last week I had a Californian chicken roll in my local sushi place, it was cut into 8 pieces so likely more than a cup measurement and I was able to just about eat it all. I was a cheap date for my boss, only cost €6.50 vs his €25 meal & drink 😂

5 hours ago, FifiLux said:

Not really a cup based measuring person as that is a US basis and while I am not "ways out" I can at times, depends on the day and also what I am eating, eat more than a cup and a half (I think if I understand the measurement conversions).

Last week I had approx 1/3 of a pizza when out for dinner. I then had the same portion (leftovers) for lunch and dinner the next day. I would think that they would be more than a cup and a half.

At home I will have usually 150g yoghurt for Breakfast and my dinner is usually 160ml chicken or mince dish (as I portion them all out and freeze) but I will add things to these - like a bit of fruit and/or chai seeds to the yoghurt and have a post dinner desert of some dark chocolate or nuts.

lunch depends on if homeworking or office based, or even if weekend but if at home it is usually one of my homemade meals again about 160ml or a salad at work of about 250g.

One day for lunch last week I had a Californian chicken roll in my local sushi place, it was cut into 8 pieces so likely more than a cup measurement and I was able to just about eat it all. I was a cheap date for my boss, only cost €6.50 vs his €25 meal & drink 😂

Sounds like your boss may be taking you to lunch more often. I don’t really know off hand how to do the conversions either but a third of a pizza sounds about right. Like a frozen pizza not a pizzeria pizza. Although I wonder if our pizza in the US is larger. Seems that just about everything else is food wise 😆.