Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The first day of the rest of my life hurts

So, had my surgery on Thursday, spent the night in the hospital and came home Friday after noon (had a little ralph after the liquid Vitamin gave me insta heartburn, but felt better after that.) . I'm sore, it hurts to breathe deep, and sipping Water doesn't kill my thirst. How big is a sip? Will I always have to sip or just until healed?

Popsicles are nice.

you won't always have to sip. I can't remember how long I did that (I'm 9+ years out), but maybe a few weeks (?). At any rate, it's not forever.

Oh thank goodness. And thank you for replying.

Posted (edited)

I am pending revision but I had sleeve 3.5 years ago. For some reason I was one who didn’t have issue with the restriction right away. I was restricted enough to know I had surgery once I got to the normal food stage but through all the earlier stages I had to make myself do what everyone else was doing because my body wasn’t telling me to. My point is I am probably not the one to advise about your sipping BUT, I think I can help with the Vitamin.

First of all you probably need to take it with “food” if you aren’t already. Especially if it contains a lot of Iron. I had to take my multi with iron after a full Protein Shake. I tried taking it before I finished the shake a few of times when I got in a hurry to get out the door and it always came right back up. Maybe try half the liquid dose, twice a day, separated by a few hours. That may be a little easier on your stomach until you can “eat” a little more at once.

Another possible option would be a chewable multi if you team approves it. I’m not really sure why it would cause less heartburn for you but that’s what I took and it did not give me heartburn? Also, Are you taking a PPI? I think mostly everyone is given one early out to take for a while. If not, I would ask about that at your post op appt for sure.

Edited by ShoppGirl

I had to sip for a good 6-8 weeks when I had my sleeve. I really struggled with the sleeve, and ended up with a revision to bypass a year later because of complications. I didn't have to sip at all when I had the bypass. I finished an entire 20oz bottle of Water the day I had the revision in 2 hours in the hospital. When they saw that, they unhooked me from the IV because they saw I was getting enough fluids lol

A sip isn’t a mouthful. Think about 1/2oz (15ml or about a tablespoon). As your body is able, you’ll be able to taking larger sips. How much & when is individual. Some can take several mouthfuls at a time in a couple of months. Me I’m 5 years out and two swallows is it for me. Your body will tell you if you’re drinking too much or too fast but certainly in that 8 week healing period best to keep to sipping.

They insert a breathing tube which can cause swelling which hinders breathing & swallowing. It usually passes after a couple of days. Keep trying to do some slow deep breaths throughout the day. It will help you breathe out the surgical gas. Watch not being able to not breathe deeply especially if you have heart palpitations, chest pains or coughing. If you have that as well go to your nearest medical centre as it may be a clot.

Try some Biotin for your dry mouth/thirst. I found green tea soothing & refreshing. Any warm or hot drink can help too like herbal tea & Soups & broths. Try warm Water though some say cold water is easier.

I second the warm / Hot Drinks. Herbal tea and broth were amazingly helpful, especially in the first week or two.

My team also gave me the go-ahead for sugar free electrolyte drinks if I found the Water wasn't doing it for me. I had to water down the electrolyte drinks to get past the taste anyway, lol.
The first couple of days were rough, but after that I found the water started to satiate my thirst much better. It might just be that right after recovery, our bodies are so strung out they need time to readjust to everything -- including water.

I was on chewable multis and liquid calcium/d3 from day 3 -- the first two days, they told me not to bother with either. I had bought a big bottle of the liquid Calcium & d3 thinking it would be the easiest during recovery, and because it was available at my local drugstore.
It was awful, it burned going down and for a good half hour afterwards. I was determined to use it all to 'not waste' but but I think by day 4 or 5 I was ordering chewable calcium / d3 because I couldn't take it anymore. Still took over a week to get the calcium/d3 chewables.< br />
Don't be afraid to reach out to your team about changing things up if they're not working for you.

I am actually doing pretty good now. I am able to take bigger sips, getting a lot more of my Protein down, and how is chicken broth so delicious. I have been getting down most all of my pills and Vitamins. Tomorrow I start mushy food and creamy Soups (no chunks). I'm excited.

Posted (edited)

On 7/27/2024 at 12:01 AM, Bexinmo78 said:

So, had my surgery on Thursday, spent the night in the hospital and came home Friday after noon (had a little ralph after the liquid Vitamin gave me insta heartburn, but felt better after that.) . I'm sore, it hurts to breathe deep, and sipping Water doesn't kill my thirst. How big is a sip? Will I always have to sip or just until healed?

Popsicles are nice.

Easiest way I determined a "sip" think about how you'd take a test sip of something that might be too hot. That's a sip.

Edited by BlondePatriotInCDA

I had my bypass surgery yesterday and yes the sips are annoying but I can them one after the other so it's okay. I'm so sore and annoyed and I just want to sleep on my side by it's so painful. I made a homemade chicken broth and it's tasteless. Recipe of your delicious one please?

On 7/27/2024 at 2:03 PM, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

I had to sip for a good 6-8 weeks when I had my sleeve. I really struggled with the sleeve, and ended up with a revision to bypass a year later because of complications. I didn't have to sip at all when I had the bypass. I finished an entire 20oz bottle of Water the day I had the revision in 2 hours in the hospital. When they saw that, they unhooked me from the IV because they saw I was getting enough fluids lol

Could you elaborate on your complications?

3 hours ago, Rashi said:

Could you elaborate on your complications?

I ended up with gastritis, esophagitis, and an incredible amount of polyps that developed as a result of the extremely high amounts of PPI I had to take to try and control the GERD that developed from the sleeve. I had to have 4 endoscopies to remove them all.