Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, recently i’ve been having an off and on relationship with “super sadness” since the surgery. My therapist told me that she has had many clients who has gone through the same emotional changes & that it’s completely normal. I’m typically a happy go lucky person so … this (on top of my menstrual hormonal emotions😭😭) it’s been alot. But i cope with journaling, prayer, sitting by the Water, and soon the gym. How have you guys navigated or navigated this time?

Ugh, YES.

Part of it is the hormonal changes (not just menstrual!), body chemistry changes, etc. I don't know if there's much we can do about this part beyond nutrition, hormone supplements if required, etc -- much like menopause and pre-menopause.

Another part of it is also that for many of us, food was a coping mechanism for a long time and now we've removed that as an option. It means we have to either face the things we were trying to drown out with gravy, or find new and improved, healthy ways to cope. Instead of "What a shitty day, I deserve pie!" it's "What a shitty day, I should eat a Protein Bar and hit the gym to work out my frustration!" or "What a shitty day, I should actually talk to that person about their poor behaviour."

On my side, I've suffered through cyclical depression throughout my life. I'd like to say it gave me a good launching point for when the post-op emotions started hitting, but it's one of those struggles that's just ... always a struggle, lol.

I cope with a few CBT techniques that I've learned over the years to get through the most intense moments, and once I'm feeling less unbalanced it's easier to get into a better headspace. Be the one to reach out to someone else at least once a day. Do 20 minutes of mindful self-care -- ie give yourself a hair treatment for 20 minutes and try not to think about anything other than brushing your hair, count strokes, massaging your scalp etc. ((Side note: if you're currently in The Hair loss phase, maybe skip this for a hand treatment? My hair is suuuuper thin right now.))

I try to re-direct myself into how to make positive changes regarding whatever it was that recently bothered me / triggered me. Not 'fix' things, but improve the situation or my reaction somehow. Sometimes it just requires a long circle of thinking until I realize I'm internalizing something that I don't need to be, or upset about something that normally wouldn't cause a reaction at all, etc.

One of my biggest problems and solutions is exercise. If I'm a moody mess, I don't want to exercise. Have no motivation to get up and do it. Yet everytime I force myself to do it, I feel bloody amazing afterwards -- energetic, spirits buoyed, all that good stuff. It doesn't have to be anything major, just walking outside at a good pace can change my mood about 15 minutes in when those endorphins kick in.

I work out and cook/bake. The cooking and baking is not a great outlet for everyone, I don't eat the baking and the cooking is new recipes that I can and want to eat.

I have to get out of my head at times, I have issues with really bad negative self talk and it reflects how I treat my husband and kids. So I go for a run, or try a new recipe. Will have my daughter join me and we just talk and I teach her.

But Exercise is the BEST, I will put in my airpods listen to some hype music and just go hard. I have never regretted a work out. If you just put on your shoes and get in your car, then your motivation will come.

I made a list of things that help me get out of or lessen a mood. I’m currently working on anger today so;
Journaling
Singing/playing music with instruments
Thrifting
Any self care-lately dry brushing skin
Exercise
Go to church
Outside time
Talk with a friend
Plan a vacation
Go on vacation
There’s more but you eat the idea. Just DO something. When I find myself procrastinating I hand wash the dishes to get me started on momentum. It’s small and easy and I feel accomplished when I look at the clean stuff. When I’m sad or burnt out, self care is essential. My motto is “self care is health care.” You are not alone, “this too will pass.”

19 hours ago, learn2cook said:

There’s more but you eat the idea. Just DO something. When I find myself procrastinating I hand wash the dishes to get me started on momentum. It’s small and easy and I feel accomplished when I look at the clean stuff.

That's so simple but so brilliant, too. ❤️