Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post gastric sleeve I know the ask to aim for 64 oz but is 42+ ok?

It’s not easy for everyone to hit that 64oz goal the first couple of weeks after surgery. I certainly didn’t. You’re about 2/3 of your goal which is okay as long as you are making an effort & are slowly but surely increasing your intake. Don’t forget you can include your shakes, Soups & broths in the liquid stage. After that include only the extra liquid you add to a Soup or shake, etc. (e.g. say your shake recipe is mix with 250ml of Water but you add 300ml so count the extra 50ml). Also keep water by your bed & sip through the night. I sip every time I get in or out of bed (which is often cause a layoff peeing 😁) & can get in another 8 - 10ozs or more.

Set a reminder alarm on your phone so you sip every 5+/- mins and always keep water or other liquids close to hard. It eventually becomes a habit. You’ll be hitting that goal easily before you know it

7th week out and some days harder than others with nausea

Are you taking anti nausea meds to help?

Multi Vitamins can cause a lot of nausea so they may be contributing. Make sure you take them after you eat. If you take additional Iron separate when you take them (multi in the morning the other at lunch). I used to split my multi - 1 in the morning the other at night.

Water can almost seem heavy which may make it harder to drink too. Add a herbal tea like ginger (which may help with the nausea) or similar or green tea as an additional liquid option.

Have you spoken to your surgeon/team about there nausea?

By about 12 weeks out (3 months) you should have a much easier time hitting your fluid goals. You're doing pretty well. Try getting some nausea meds, drink ginger tea, if needed add a ready made Protein Shake to your normal diet to not only boost your Protein intake but also your fluids (it's a 2 for 1 deal with those).

Premier Protein is intolerable pos op - I use fairlife/ Isopure

the nausea is just worse somedays more than others

its not mechanical restriction so much as just a not wanting to drink more bc it’s plain Water if that makes sense

Haven’t found a flavor enhancer I like so far

anyone have a sipping schedule (how much water to aim for in a certain period to get to 64) would be very welcome

42 minutes ago, Fars said:

its not mechanical restriction so much as just a not wanting to drink more bc it’s plain Water if that makes sense

Haven’t found a flavor enhancer I like so far

anyone have a sipping schedule (how much Water to aim for in a certain period to get to 64) would be very welcome

Have you tried just adding plain lemon or lime juice? I find that helps.

Sometimes temperature can make it more or less appealing too -- when I'm nauseous, I need my water to be ice cold or downright hot (if it's a tea), nothing in between.

Have you tried a peppermint tea? I actually like my mint tea best when it's cold / been refrigerated.

Maybe it's the processed flavourings that you're having more issue with? Have you tried fruit infusions -- literally just plop a few pieces of fresh or frozen fruit into your water bottle? I actually have even tried those little fruit cups (in water, not syrup!) and dumped half of one into my big water bottle. Pear or mandarin are my favourites -- I've made ice cubes out of the mandarin ones.

As for a schedule, I know they look tacky but for the first two months post-OP I relied on one of those pre-marked water bottles? Mine was a 16oz that had hourly levels to keep me on track; drinking the whole bottle twice a day for 32 oz, thrice for 48oz, etc. It helped me kick my own ass if I was falling behind.

I still struggle to get 64 oz in a day. I'm down to a regular 10oz thermos now that I've trained myself to keep drinking. (Honestly, in terms of schedule I feel like it's kind of a permanent: "Are you drinking right now? Cause you should be." 😆)