Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just now, Lulu60 said:

When I make my morning shake I use Fairlife chocolate, 1 scoop of Unjury chocolate a couple of ice cubes and 2 packets of Decaf coffee. It’s really good!

Ooh so you already know about proffee. I love it. I am lending revision but 3.5 years out from sleeve and I still like my proffee.

7 hours ago, Lulu60 said:

The ready made Fairlife shakes have been my main source of Protein and I’m having to remind myself I’m just 2 weeks out because I’ve felt so good until yesterday. I have tried cottage cheese and that didn’t settle very well and I love cottage cheese. I’m not giving up on it. I’m just very impatient. I did try ribeye steak last night…..I grilled a small portion then ground it in my meat grinder which pretty much pulverized it and grilled potato slices until very soft. I was able to eat a small portion with enough for probably 2 meals. I had not thought about refried Beans. I will definitely give those a try. It’s quite difficult to have small meals during the day due to working in a busy cardiology clinic. I have lost a total of 22 lbs since my pre-op visit which was 3 wks before my surgery but I started the liquid diet 1 month before surgery.

If you’re in the purée stage whatever you eat should be a thick but still a bit loose in texture or dollopy like yoghurt. If you want to blend or grind meat add gravy or stock to get the texture thin enough. Minced meats with a sauce or gravy like meat loaf, meat balls or bolognese without Pasta are great in soft food. If you’re allowed potatoes they should be mashed. I lived on yoghurt, instant rolled oats, scrambled eggs, thicker blended Soups during that stage as I found puréed meats unpalatable. Did even eat baby food twice. A lot of people eat egg salad (mashed eggs & mayo) in this stage.

Think of a baby transitioning from milk (liquids) to thin cereals like Farex, baby food, etc. (purées) then soft foods like slow cooked stews, minced meat dishes, sausage, etc.

Congrats on your weight loss so far.

I’m finding it very difficult to eat at night. I normally don’t get home from work until after 6:00pm. I’ve tried eating soft scrambled eggs, soft boiled egg, oatmeal with Protein but I end up with a stomachache. I’m am taking small bites, waiting plenty of time for the food to settle and barely able to eat 1/2 of whatever I’m trying to eat. I feel hungry but after maybe 3 bites, I’m through just because of the discomfort. I know it’s barely been a month but I feel like I need my nighttime meal but it’s difficult. Any ideas or suggestions. After finding a higher protein FairLife shake, 30 grams, I do drink those during the day so I know I’m getting at least 60 G protein. What should I do differently

40 minutes ago, Lulu60 said:

I’m finding it very difficult to eat at night. I normally don’t get home from work until after 6:00pm. I’ve tried eating soft scrambled eggs, soft boiled egg, oatmeal with Protein but I end up with a stomachache. I’m am taking small bites, waiting plenty of time for the food to settle and barely able to eat 1/2 of whatever I’m trying to eat. I feel hungry but after maybe 3 bites, I’m through just because of the discomfort. I know it’s barely been a month but I feel like I need my nighttime meal but it’s difficult. Any ideas or suggestions. After finding a higher Protein FairLife shake, 30 grams, I do drink those during the day so I know I’m getting at least 60 G protein. What should I do differently

Some people who are really restricted have posted that they were advised to eat more small meals but I would ask your team about this. Some are very adamant on three meals period.

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Lulu60 said:

I’m finding it very difficult to eat at night. I normally don’t get home from work until after 6:00pm. I’ve tried eating soft scrambled eggs, soft boiled egg, oatmeal with Protein but I end up with a stomachache. I’m am taking small bites, waiting plenty of time for the food to settle and barely able to eat 1/2 of whatever I’m trying to eat. I feel hungry but after maybe 3 bites, I’m through just because of the discomfort. I know it’s barely been a month but I feel like I need my nighttime meal but it’s difficult. Any ideas or suggestions. After finding a higher Protein FairLife shake, 30 grams, I do drink those during the day so I know I’m getting at least 60 G protein. What should I do differently

How big are your bites? I was advised to eat 1/4 - 1/3 cup from purées. So it took three days to eat two scrambled eggs & the same with a serve of rolled oats. Would your 3 bites be equal to about 1/4 cup? (Was 6 months before I was able to eat a bare cup of food which was what I was advised too.)

Eggs can be hard at first. Many can’t tolerate them so that could be contributing. What if you had Soup at night. Easy & quick to heat. I used to freeze individual serves of lots of things like soup, meat balls & gravy, etc. Popped a serve in the fridge to defrost in the morning & reheated at night. Even took them to work for lunch. Or try your shake at night ( just sip until you’re finished even if it takes an hour) or a high protein yoghurt.

There is a lot of trial & error in the beginning especially while you are still healing (takes about 8 weeks to be fully healed) & your tummy can be very fussy & temperamental . Plus your taste buds &/ir sense of smell can temporarily change making some foods disgusting. It dyes get better & easier.

Edited by Arabesque

15 hours ago, Lulu60 said:

Don't be worried to go back a stage until you feel ready for the next. We are not all able to go ahead at the same time. If you can manage Soup or a shake for your evening meal then that's a win at this early stage

My bites are about the amount given to a baby. I’ve learned(the hard way) to take very small bites and wait a minute before the next. Last night I was able to eat smoked chicken salad (homemade and pulverized with my Braun hand chopper) the amount that I ate was maybe 1/8th of a cup and 1 1/2 saltine crackers. Afterwards, I felt a little nausea so I think I had eaten too much. I’m leaning on my Protein Shakes a lot. Especially since it’s difficult to drink all the Water I need. My Fluid intake consists of water, shakes and popsicles. It’s hard to drink as much as I need at work due to the amount of calls that come in and the patient load. But, I’m down 25 lbs. and I feel good. My next hurdle is walking as I broke my tailbone about 3 weeks before my surgery. That’s a very difficult hurdle.

I was a teaspoon dipper or baby bite person too. My bites were just want ever was on the end of the teaspoon I dipped into my food. Don’t be afraid to wait longer between bites: a couple of minutes. Even eating 1/4 cup of food would take me 20 minutes or more.

I would avoid the crackers and focus only on eating Protein at this stage and any incidental vegetables like what might be in a Soup you’ve blended.

Generally any carbs should be left to the last thing you eat & only if you are able. So eat your protein first, then if you are able any vegetables then finally carbs you’re allowed at each stage (usually whole or multi grains not the more highly processed, less nutrient dense breads, rice, Pasta, crackers). So if you were able to eat the saltines, you would have been able to eat more of the chicken salad & therefore more protein. There were many times I ate protein & nothing else for some meals for months.

Congrats on your weight loss so far.