Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Posted (edited)

So I have been making sure that I hit 100g or more of Protein every day. I typically am low carb (under 60g) low fat (under 20g). I like to be adventurous with my food and I enjoy finding new recipes that fit into my macros. However, this last month I have been trying to find recipes that are yummy and fulfill my sweet tooth without going for the ice cream, or candy. One that I discovered was a Greek Yogurt Cheesecake: 1 container of Greek yogurt (i have used Dannons light and fit , 1Tbls of SF FF Cheesecake pudding mix, 1TBL of reduced fat whip. its 115cal 12g of protein, .5g fat and 15g carbs. (you can use any variation of yogurts and pudding mixes). Carbs are higher that I would usually eat but if you have a hard workout day and have it to spare this is the best treat!

Also I did not know that Splenda made a brown sugar?! So diced up apples with some spray butter and 1tbls of that brown sugar and bake to soften. You can add it to a little plain Greek yogurt or eat it as it with a dollop of low fat cool whip. I have been finding that I need to have stuff like this in my diet in order to not go off track. Not everyday, but days where all I want to do is eat chocolate or ice cream.

I have been following this mom of 3 that lost 50lbs through exercise and diet, she has a ton of recipes. All her single serving recipes easily make 2-3 servings for us bariatric folk, but its healthy and realistic for those people who don't want to restrict forever.

Anyone else have some yummy recipes?! Or does anyone think this might cause a slippery slope?

Edited by AmberFL

Posted (edited)

Amber you have done so so well (and am totally expecting that pesky 0.4lbs to goal to melt off soon, along with more besides LOL!!)

Since my surgery I have tried to avoid processed foods and ultra processed foods, other than on special occasions. These are what made most of obese in the first place. Meeting our post op macros and choosing foods that will sustain and nourish our bodies in the long term are, I believe, two completely different things.

I have no evidence that people who eat mostly whole foods cooked from scratch do better long term than those of us who return to ultra processed foods but just in lower volumes (because we have a much smaller place to put them at the start - but it does enlarge for some). I do know that my approach is working for me. Also no idea whether people who revert to UPFs are on a slippery slope, do worse, just stop posting here. My observation would be that most of the long termers here don't. There are a few exceptions I think but they seem to be people who have had surgery that allows them to malabsorb hugely (and pay the price GI-wise). The sleeve isn't designed to do that.

In summary - hats off for your massive and rapid loss. I think that long timers seem to do better with whole foods and home cooked meals. If you're eating something that has ingredients that you don't have in your home cupboard, be wary, think twice, but enjoy if you want to!

I wish you all the best.

Edited by Spinoza

35 minutes ago, Spinoza said:

Amber you have done so so well (and am totally expecting that pesky 0.4lbs to goal to melt off soon, along with more besides LOL!!)

Since my surgery I have tried to avoid processed foods and ultra processed foods, other than on special occasions. These are what made most of obese in the first place. Meeting our post op macros and choosing foods that will sustain and nourish our bodies in the long term are, I believe, two completely different things.

I have no evidence that people who eat mostly whole foods cooked from scratch do better long term than those of us who return to ultra processed foods but just in lower volumes (because we have a much smaller place to put them at the start - but it does enlarge for some). I do know that my approach is working for me. Also no idea whether people who revert to UPFs are on a slippery slope, do worse, just stop posting here. My observation would be that most of the long termers here don't. There are a few exceptions I think but they seem to be people who have had surgery that allows them to malabsorb hugely (and pay the price GI-wise). The sleeve isn't designed to do that.

In summary - hats off for your massive and rapid loss. I think that long timers seem to do better with whole foods and home cooked meals. If you're eating something that has ingredients that you don't have in your home cupboard, be wary, think twice, but enjoy if you want to!

I wish you all the best.

I love cooking and finding new recipes are always fun to me, but I do understand what your saying. I agree processed foods is what got us to where we were, and most if not all my meals are cooked at home. and thank you for saying all the nice things! Im hoping these pesky .4 come off LOL

Do you have recipes you can share that you make?

The nutritionists keep telling me that if I were to give up the artificial sweeteners that fruit would taste a lot sweeter and be more of a Desert on its own. I haven’t been able to do it yet but the one I talked to last told me about true lemon to add to my Water. They have a lot of flavors not just lemon. I’m trying to make the switch now. Hopefully it works.

8 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

The nutritionists keep telling me that if I were to give up the artificial sweeteners that fruit would taste a lot sweeter and be more of a Desert on its own. I haven’t been able to do it yet but the one I talked to last told me about true lemon to add to my Water. They have a lot of flavors not just lemon. I’m trying to make the switch now. Hopefully it works.

this is very true! if you have a grill, slicing a peach in half put it in the microwave for just a touch to soften it then grill it open face down then add a dollop of Greek yogurt add a little cinnamon. DELCIOUS!! I tend to eat more whole foods but I have been getting a super hankering for candy, I think its almost that time of the month. The sugar free candy isnt worth my calories. so I am trying to find "desserts" that tickle my fancy.

45 minutes ago, AmberFL said:

this is very true! if you have a grill, slicing a peach in half put it in the microwave for just a touch to soften it then grill it open face down then add a dollop of Greek yogurt add a little cinnamon. DELCIOUS!! I tend to eat more whole foods but I have been getting a super hankering for candy, I think its almost that time of the month. The sugar free candy isnt worth my calories. so I am trying to find "desserts" that tickle my fancy.

Oh. I am definitely not trying to preach against having little treats now and again. I just thought that If it’s true about the sweeteners messing up our tastes for sweet that may really help the majority of the time. My husband makes apples on the grill like that with cinnamon. That or the air fryer. They cook faster if you slice in wedges first. I add Splenda to them which is back to my issue with artificial sweeteners and how we started this conversation.

I also seen somewhere it you add PB2 powder and cocoa powder to greek yogurt it’s supposed to be kinda like Reese’s. I would think it may need splenda too but we already know I have a problem. 🤣

I made small chocolate truffles that I kept in the fridge and had one or two when feeling like something sweet;

0.25 cup agave Syrup, 30 g chocolate hazelnut Protein Powder, 110g 100% cacao (no sugar) and 60 g smooth Peanut Butter. It made 15 balls;

image.png.dd9fbeabdf322aa1234dfb4f60f4ca6d.png

Posted (edited)

I know you say you like to cook but just in case your not in the mood one day. Have you also checked the Quest Protein Snacks. I know they are low-ish calories but not sure about the carbs and stuff. I remember they were pretty good. I know they were suitable for my maintenance plan once in a while. They have ones that are like m&m’s and also chocolate with caramel and nuts (pecans I think). My target never had them in stock but they do carry them at the bigger stores.

Edited by ShoppGirl

I definitely don't think this is a slippery slope because honestly, I loved sweets before surgery and I am still the same person and love sweets now. I just can't/don't want to overindulge in the way I used to, and I find some of the things (cheaper chocolate, for instance) less appealing and not satisfying.

My favorite treat (though I will caution that it won't meet strict low-carb targets, but I have not been given those from my program) is to use my Yonana machine to turn frozen fruit into a sorbet-like treat that I can eat alone or top with things like fresh sliced fruit, Peanut Butter made from plain or chocolate PB2 powder, unsweetened coconut, and homemade granola. I've also found some recipes for high Protein acai base for smoothie bowls and am planning to give that a try instead of the frozen fruit on its own. It's basically frozen fruit, Greek yogurt, acai powder, and Protein Powder that you blend up and can store in the freezer in individual servings until ready to top with all the things above. Also, you don't have to use frozen banana to use the Yonana machine. I've used every type of frozen fruit you can think of with great results as I'm not a huge banana fan.

I think like most things, moderation is key.

I have a basement stash of UPF in the basement for quick fixes: shelf stable Protein Shakes (obviously), instant Bone Broth packets, and a couple of instant Soup powders I bought from the BP shop. They get me through days I'm feeling low energy or have no appetite.

Right next to them, I have a huge stock of SF FF pudding mixes that I bought pre-op thinking I'd need them for the first two weeks of recovery (spoiler alert: I didn't need 1/16th of the **** I 'prepared' with), so the greek yogurt recipe sounds like a fab way to slowly make my way through the stash.

I've also got a SF Lactose Free chocolate ice cream sitting in my freezer for certain monthly cravings. Again, something I bought for recovery that just.... hasn't been fully used up yet. It's not awful nutrition wise, but I use it sparingly. I have a pack of high Protein flatbreads in the freezer, some NSA protein pancake mixes and a few NSA flavouring syrups in my pantry.

I'm not against sweeteners or UPF in general, it's more that it's rare to find any one pre-made food that hits all the macros for me, and my brain really likes when I follow a nice, strict, mathematical structure.

The only thing I use more often than I think I should is probably the protein pancake mix? Twice a week I'll make a pancake in place of a more balance meal -- this week it's been three times already because it -- and oatmeal-- are one of the few things not pinging my nausea. (It's been a rough week)

(@NickelChip That's good to hear about the yonana machine -- I've been eyeballing it for a while but even as a child I go through cycles of strong banana-aversion LOL.)

I seen a recipe a while back too where you put pudding mix into cool whip and then freeze it again and it’s kinda like ice cream.

I bought a ninja creami machine and I get the Keto chow mix and I make a yummy Protein ice cream. I tend to use milk or Water instead of heavy cream because of the calories but it still turns out ok. I also love just fruit in it too, my favorite is pears. coffee with a Protein Shake also makes great ice cream. It's fun to throw in weird things and see what happens lol.

I am allowed all and everything. I limit myself because I can eat a whole bar of chocolate before I feel ill. So I buy small bars of really good chocolate. I know I will only eat one. Sometimes I melt the chocolate and dip strawberries in.

I know cottage cheese is not for everyone but I love it. I chop a apple finely and mix it into the cheese. Works well with pineapple or kiwi too.

Cheddar cheese and a crisp apple does wonders for me.

On 7/18/2024 at 5:23 PM, ShoppGirl said:

Oh. I am definitely not trying to preach against having little treats now and again. I just thought that If it’s true about the sweeteners messing up our tastes for sweet that may really help the majority of the time. My husband makes apples on the grill like that with cinnamon. That or the air fryer. They cook faster if you slice in wedges first. I add Splenda to them which is back to my issue with artificial sweeteners and how we started this conversation.

I also seen somewhere it you add PB2 powder and cocoa powder to greek yogurt it’s supposed to be kinda like Reese’s. I would think it may need splenda too but we already know I have a problem. 🤣

Omg PB2 and Cocao?! Ima try this tomorrow 😂 sounds delicious!! I am STRUGGLING with no lt having sugar. I don’t give in but the times I do I feel so guilty. I am trying to find that balance without being scared that I’ll gain everything back.

16 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

I know you say you like to cook but just in case your not in the mood one day. Have you also checked the Quest Protein Snacks. I know they are low-ish calories but not sure about the carbs and stuff. I remember they were pretty good. I know they were suitable for my maintenance plan once in a while. They have ones that are like m&m’s and also chocolate with caramel and nuts (pecans I think). My target never had them in stock but they do carry them at the bigger stores.

Yes!! And I have eaten them. The little frosted cakes are yummy. I should give that isle another look over. Thank you!