Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had a bypass over 15 years ago and at first it was successful over 10 stone loss and I felt amazing.

My mobility has decreased dramatically nd I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, I've gained all my weight back and more.

My pouch im sure is huge, I get terrible reflux and I'm thinking a revision.

Has anyone successfully had a NHS revision? What was criteria? What did the op entail?

Also, anyone gone private for this in uk? What was the cost?

Im so confused but I know to help my mobility I need to lose weight 😩

Any help is appreciated

Hi @ indianlight, I had Gastric sleeve in a private hospital two and a half years ago and it cost £11600 with all the pre appointments. Gastric bypass was £2000 more at the time.

I really wished I had gone the bypass route because I have wicked reflux but that boat has sailed and I have to deal with it. I have never heard of people getting a second operation on the NHS but why not try and keep on trying different doctors. Sometimes persistence does work.

I have Fibromyalgia too and the surgeon told me that the surgery would not change this, it didn't. Have you tried Aquafit, it really helps. Its low impact and you can go at your own speed.

I hope you get your help

I'm in Ireland and our healthcare system is totally different. Might your first port of call be your GP? They should know what is allowed on the NHS and what isn't.

Also I had a sleeve and I know that can be revised to bypass but not at all sure what the options are for a revision of bypass. But someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.

I'm so sorry that having stuck to the rules and lost so much weight your medical condition has contributed to a regain. This is every bariatric surgery patient's worst nightmare. I hope you can get back in control.

I have to admit, I'm also unaware of revisions that can be done with bypass. I was under the impression your options are fairly limited after bypass, though I'm no expert. Reflux after bypass can certainly happen, but it's highly unusual, as is stretching out your pouch to an abnormally large size (aside from the regular increase in capacity that is normal). I would think a visit to your primary care doctor would be your first step, or an appointment with your surgeon's office if that's possible (I know it's been a long time, so maybe that isn't possible). You're going to want to determine if something has gone wrong that can be fixed surgically, or if it's something that medication or lifestyle changes could better address.

It says you had the lapband. Did you already have a revision from lapband to bypass? If so, I'm not sure you can do another one.

The only revision I know you can get after you've had a bypass is the SADI, but it's still really new, so not a lot of insurance companies will cover it yet.

I used to hear about bypass patients getting longer "channels" or whatever (i.e., they'll bypass more of the small intestine so you'll malabsorb more - I think they call it a distal bypass), but I haven't seen anyone post about one of those in a long time. I think normally when people revise from bypass, they go with the DS or SADI.

Posted (edited)

I am pending revision from sleeve to SADI but when i was considering revision to bypass my research brough up a lot of information of revision from bypass and it was to SADI or DS.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Posted (edited)

48 minutes ago, sallypearl said:

Can I ask what SADI & DS are?

The SADI is a modified version of the DS where when they bypass a portion of the bowels they only need “Single Anastmosis,” which means connection and is the first two letters of the acronym SADI, instead of two anastomosis that the DS uses. They are both almost a combination or the sleeve and bypass to simplify it. They combine the sleeved stomach for restriction with the bypassed intestine for malabsorption. In terms of least to most aggressive it’s sleeve, bypass, SADI, then DS. The SADI is fairly new and is considered to be a relatively safe option with that single connection lessening the risk for leaks by at least half and overall risks are less than the DS considering the weight loss is not a lot less. Like the DS it can be done in one surgery or in two steps beginning with a sleeve first and then completing the bypass portion In a second operation later (often after a patient loses enough weight to make the bypass portion safe or as in my case if they do not lose adequate weight or experience regain after the sleeve). You may also see the SADI referred to as the modified switch or SIPS surgery. And the -S in SADI-S just means with sleeve as in when the two components are done at the same time in one operation.

Edited by ShoppGirl

I just noticed that you are talking about a revision. With the revision there really are more than just the main options. They will most likely do a few tests beforehand to get the best picture of what’s going on inside. I had a endoscopy, a barium swallow study and. A gastric emptying study.done before we decided for certain that the SADI was right for me. Some doctors will convert a bypass to Sadi I believe but they can also do something to revise only the pouch. I forget what they call that. Honestly when I comes to revision I know this isn’t exactly true but it almost seems like they make it up as they go 😆 they really do get a good look at your very unique circumstances and take all the knowledge they have from all the procedures they can do and come up with a plan that will work best for you. The names for the surgery get really difficult at that point because really what they actually do from one revision to the next is going to vary depending on the patient and the surgeon. Some surgeons for instance would’ve made my pouch smaller during the revision. Mine doesn’t think it’s worth it given the risks it brings. I would really recommend that you get started with a surgeon and see what options they even offer you and if you don’t love them maybe even get a second opinion because not all surgeons will approach it the same way and some don’t perform all of the procedures there are to offer either.

On 7/18/2024 at 9:25 AM, indianlight said:

I had a bypass over 15 years ago and at first it was successful over 10 stone loss and I felt amazing.

My mobility has decreased dramatically nd I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, I've gained all my weight back and more.

My pouch im sure is huge, I get terrible reflux and I'm thinking a revision.

Has anyone successfully had a NHS revision? What was criteria? What did the op entail?

Also, anyone gone private for this in uk? What was the cost?

Im so confused but I know to help my mobility I need to lose weight 😩

Any help is appreciated

I think this also depends on what NHS Trust your hospital is in. My Hospital only does Sleeve or Bypass, no GLP-1 or revisions. Other Hospitals will offer Sleeve, Bypass, DS and GLP-1 etc. I think the best bet is to start with your GP.