Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

am struggling with knowing when to slow down. I am 7 days post op, and I am really struggling with not being where I was activity wise before surgery. When I am walking around, though I might be slow, I am not feeling myself get worn out until I finally sit down, and then I fall asleep so hard, that it is difficult to wake me.

My surgeon is super insistent that I should be back to my regular daily activities, and that I should not be taking frequent rests, but I find that I am just overdoing it. I have 4 kids, oldest is 11 and youngest is almost 3, but I am so drained I don’t know how I am going to manage going back to work 14 days post-op:

your surgeon is nuts - you just had major surgery! Of course you're going to get easily fatigued! I had to take naps in the afternoon for the first couple of weeks - and it was probably two months before I felt back to normal (although it got a little better every day...)

It probably hits everyone differently -- I know I was sleeping ALL the time post-op for a good couple weeks, and didn't have a lot of energy in general until I had been on the soft food diet for maybe half a week.

Try your best to pause throughout your day / mid activity to take stock of how your body is feeling. Trust yourself to know what's right for your body. If it's slowing down or trying to keep yourself from overdoing it, great. But if you're feeling good while doing it, no pain etc, there's nothing wrong with having a few more power naps than you're used to -- especially in the first months following surgery.

I agree with the others! You just had major surgery and your calorie intake is still super low. I was so tired the first 2 months, I remember sleeping like before motherhood. You probably still have little ones waking you at night so you’re not getting any recovery time! Listen to your inner voice and trust yourself. At one week I was pleased to get out of bed, do some simple house chores, move around hourly, and take a shower. I went back to work after week 2 and went to bed as soon as I came home. My kid thought it was great playing outside longer living free like a Gen X kid! Lol, seriously sit in the shade with a fan on while the little ones play outside with Water. Send the older ones off to friend’s houses with bikes. Enjoy your pause in life :)

Posted (edited)

I’m guessing that if you just got to go to work and come home and rest you wouldn’t feel as overwhelmed by the idea. Perhaps the dr didn’t understand your home demands on top of work. Trust what your body is telling you and go back when you feel ready. Even when you do go back if you can solicit help from others with the home stuff definitely ask for it. Everyone’s recovery is different. Your surgeon should know that.

Edited by ShoppGirl

I think your surgeon must be a male with a woman behind him who does all the home stuff. Clueless. Listen to your body, take naps when you can. I was super ill after my surgery and couldn't have worked for 3 months, never mind having to look after 4 children as well.

If you ever see this surgeon again please see that he gets our input to update his views

7 minutes ago, summerseeker said:

I think your surgeon must be a male with a woman behind him who does all the home stuff. Clueless. Listen to your body, take naps when you can. I was super ill after my surgery and couldn't have worked for 3 months, never mind having to look after 4 children as well.

If you ever see this surgeon again please see that he gets our input to update his views

Haha. I started typing something pretty much exactly like that but couldn’t figure how to word it without sounding offensive to the men that actually do their part. I know not all men think like that but it sounds like this person has no clue what it’s like to have 4 Kids running around.

8 hours ago, summerseeker said:

I immediately thought the same!