Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just approved for Surgery in October 2024

1 hour ago, NeonRaven8919 said:

On Sunday morning, I was 118kg. Monday I was 118.8 and now I'm 119kg again! I'm still sticking with the diet! I don't understand it! My scale is a smart scale with body composition and says I'm losing muscle, but not fat! I'm getting more than enough Protein? I've heard of stalls, but you shouldn't gain during a stall, right?

It could be that your body is having a bit of a panic thinking it’s in starvation mode and therefore is holding on to everything it can! It becomes a battle of wills to see who will back down first - you or your body. Just keep doing what you’re doing and try to keep off the scales if you can (easier said than done at times)

You are doing brilliantly 👍

54 minutes ago, MrsFitz said:

It could be that your body is having a bit of a panic thinking it’s in starvation mode and therefore is holding on to everything it can! It becomes a battle of wills to see who will back down first - you or your body. Just keep doing what you’re doing and try to keep off the scales if you can (easier said than done at times)

You are doing brilliantly 👍

Thanks! I think I just had a panic then I realised I'm also on my cycle so some of that is Water retention. I'm just going to take a longer route to and from work today to keep things up!

Some of us do gain during stalls, so try (try! lol) not to worry too much about that either. ❤️

I just want to say, kudos to you doing so well on this extended liquid diet. It probably gets easier as it goes on, but I'm sure you'll have tougher days and easier days. If you ever need to vent, we're here for ya! But seriously, it sounds like you're really killing it already!

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, NeonRaven8919 said:

On Sunday morning, I was 118kg. Monday I was 118.8 and now I'm 119kg again! I'm still sticking with the diet! I don't understand it! My scale is a smart scale with body composition and says I'm losing muscle, but not fat! I'm getting more than enough Protein? I've heard of stalls, but you shouldn't gain during a stall, right?

I honestly don’t think them smart scales are super accurate. I’ve seen a few people on here say they got DEXA scans and that their scale was not the same. That being said. They do warn that we will lose muscle and that’s why it’s important to start with some strength building as soon as we are cleared to do so. About the stall, some people do actually gain a little. Usually it’s followed by a quick drop of that gain- plus some. I think it’s your body trying to hang onto every single calorie it gets because it thinks it’s starving. Sorta has to recalibrate for a short time and then you should be back on the downward trend. If my google search is correct 1kg is only 2.2 pounds. Honestly you could see that fluctuation any day. Doesn’t even have to be a stall. Could be your body retaining Water or your bowels are full or you weighed at a differnt time of day. Virtually anything can cause that. That’s why they say it’s best to not weigh daily. I know it’s hard not to and I’m guilty of it too but we really do just cause ourselves unnecessary stress by doing it. When I had my sleeve my daily loss fluctuated several times by a couple of pounds. Even 3 or 4 a couple times because I weighed daily. But I did only record my weight once a week and that made it way easier to see the overall downward trend.

Edited by ShoppGirl

20 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

I honestly don’t think them smart scales are super accurate. I’ve seen a few people on here say they got DEXA scans and that their scale was not the same. That being said. They do warn that we will lose muscle and that’s why it’s important to start with some strength building as soon as we are cleared to do so. About the stall, some people do actually gain a little. Usually it’s followed by a quick drop of that gain- plus some. I think it’s your body trying to hang onto every single calorie it gets because it thinks it’s starving. Sorta has to recalibrate for a short time and then you should be back on the downward trend. If my google search is correct 1kg is only 2.2 pounds. Honestly you could see that fluctuation any day. Doesn’t even have to be a stall. Could be your body retaining Water or your bowels are full or you weighed at a differnt time of day. Virtually anything can cause that. That’s why they say it’s best to not weigh daily. I know it’s hard not to and I’m guilty of it too but we really do just cause ourselves unnecessary stress by doing it. When I had my sleeve my daily loss fluctuated several times by a couple of pounds. Even 3 or 4 a couple times because I weighed daily. But I did only record my weight once a week and that made it way easier to see the overall downward trend.

I did stand on the scale at my usual time of day, but i think you are right about the bowels. And I'm on period, so I think there is some Water retention. I read another comment about the scale becoming a new addiction. I think this could happen for a lot of people. Ultimately, I did manage to lose 11lbs (5kg) in two weeks so I'm still happy

I gained and lost the same 2-3 pounds over a three month stall. 😡 So, yeah it happens.

15 hours ago, BigBird58 said:

That’s great news I’m also having surgery on October 24.

Nice! An October surgery buddy!

Yes that’s awsome I start my diet tomorrow to get the weight off that my Dr says I have to loose before surgery. This week has been an emotional roller coaster my uncle suddenly and I had to fly to Florida with my mom and sister and we have done nothing but eat out.

On 8/3/2024 at 11:47 PM, BigBird58 said:

Yes that’s awsome I start my diet tomorrow to get the weight off that my Dr says I have to loose before surgery. This week has been an emotional roller coaster my uncle suddenly and I had to fly to Florida with my mom and sister and we have done nothing but eat out.

Oh I'm sorry to hear that!

Just had my pre-surgery assessment chat with the nurse. They did bloods, an ECG and a swab for MRSA. I was originally told that they thought I would be a good "day case". I thought this meant, I have the surgery and then I go home the same day and I was worried. But what this actually means is that I have the surgery and then go to a nearby hotel, but as I'm borderline with my sleep scores, I might stay in the hospital. I'm a little relieved that I'm not going home straight after surgery!

49 minutes ago, NeonRaven8919 said:

Just had my pre-surgery assessment chat with the nurse. They did bloods, an ECG and a swab for MRSA. I was originally told that they thought I would be a good "day case". I thought this meant, I have the surgery and then I go home the same day and I was worried. But what this actually means is that I have the surgery and then go to a nearby hotel, but as I'm borderline with my sleep scores, I might stay in the hospital. I'm a little relieved that I'm not going home straight after surgery!

Does your NHS hospital send patients to a hotel??? That’s surprised me!

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, MrsFitz said:

Does your NHS hospital send patients to a hotel??? That’s surprised me!

I think it's to save beds for people really in need that can't walk the short distance to the hotel. My mother had the gastric bypass in 2008 and the sent her to a private hospital because there were too many people and not enough beds. A problem typical of London hospitals and my hospital is right in the centre. I assume in smaller cities it's not necessary.

Edited by NeonRaven8919
Clarity.

On 8/14/2024 at 10:23 AM, NeonRaven8919 said:

I think it's to save beds for people really in need that can't walk the short distance to the hotel. My mother had the gastric bypass in 2008 and the sent her to a private hospital because there were too many people and not enough beds. A problem typical of London hospitals and my hospital is right in the centre. I assume in smaller cities it's not necessary.

Our NHS gives you the choice of where you can have some surgeries, so for example I can go to a private hospital with my knee surgeries (which I am choosing to do) but I haven’t heard of them using hotels. There again, the choice of hotels where I live is dire so probably safer and more hygienic to keep patients in a hospital!

I've been told by my doctor that I'm behind the weight I should be losing. I should be done to 116kg (255 lbs) by now.

I really was starting to worry as the weight on the scale kept going up, but then I suddenly went down to 117kg. I had to stand on the scale twice because I couldn't believe the number. It was so easy the first couple of weeks of the pre-op diet and now it doesn't seem to be working as quickly.

I'm still doing what I need to, but it's not been easy. I've also been told by my doctor that after surgery, I won't be able to ride my bike for 6 weeks! This is more difficult than not being able to eat solid foods for weeks. My beautiful noble steed (her name is Angelique Iolanthe) will have to be in storage for 6 weeks.

7 more weeks until the surgery. I've been reading more articles and doing more research on the sleeve. I'm not sure if that easing the anxiety or adding to it.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories! It's one thing to do research and read medial information, but it's so much more reassuring to hear from people who have actually lived it. Even hearing the not so glamourous parts of life post-op.