Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just approved for Surgery in October 2024

Hi!

I got approved for the surgery in May of 2024. Doctor first told me that I would most likely have to wait until 2025 because of how the long the hospital waiting list is. Suddenly, I got called last week saying they were able to do it in October of 2024.

So this is the first day of a 12 week liquid diet to lose 10% of my body weight before the surgery.

My birthday is coming up and I have wedding that I'm going to next week!

I'm happy that this is happening this year, but I also feel bummed because I feel like this is bad timing.

I'm really happy that this journey is starting. I've always been overweight and so was my mother. We were the only one's in the family who were. We moved to the UK when I was 14 and my stepfather was also overweight and he passed away in 2022 due to pneumonia and other weight related complications.

My mother had gastric bypass in 2008 and due to surgical complication, they couldn't fix a bowel perforation and she passed in 2023. She and my stepdad were the only people in my life who were really supportive of anything I did. I fell a little bit alone going through this now, but I'm feeling optimistic at the same time.

Just looking for other people to share my story with.

Congratulations on your surgery date. That’s a pretty long liquid diet but I guess it’s because you have a specific amount of weight they need you to lose. It will be well worth it because it will make your surgery that much safe plus be that much less you have to lose afterwards. I can’t suggest much for the wedding but When I did my sleeve I celebrated my birthday early because of the pre op diet. I guess you missed that window but you can Celebrate late (a half birthday this year perhaps). But honestly one thing you will learn from this surgery is that we tend to celebrate things with food but there are many other ways to celebrate. You can take a weekend trip somewhere you’ve been wanting to go, spend a day at the spa or buy yourself something you have really been eyeballing. And you can have people around who will inevitably need to eat something but not have the day centered around food. Or you can schedule something between lunch and dinner and ask people to not bring food. It’s your day so you get to celebrate it how you want.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, ShoppGirl said:

Congratulations on your surgery date. That’s a pretty long liquid diet but I guess it’s because you have a specific amount of weight they need you to lose. It will be well worth it because it will make your surgery that much safe plus be that much less you have to lose afterwards. I can’t suggest much for the wedding but When I did my sleeve I celebrated my birthday early because of the pre op diet. I guess you missed that window but you can Celebrate late (a half birthday this year perhaps). But honestly one thing you will learn from this surgery is that we tend to Celebrate things with food but there are many other ways to celebrate. You can take a weekend trip somewhere you’ve been wanting to go, spend a day at the spa or buy yourself something you have really been eyeballing. And you can have people around who will inevitably need to eat something but not have the day centered around food. Or you can schedule something between lunch and dinner and ask people to not bring food. It’s your day so you get to celebrate it how you want.

Yes the doctor wants me to lose 10% of my weight before the surgery. Being on the national health service, I guess they want to take extra precautions to make the surgery approved by their boards and directors.

12 weeks seems a really long time, but I've had weight problems for over 30 years so in the grand scheme of things, it's no time at all.

Thanks for the suggestion about ways to celebrate my birthday! I've made plans to get my nails done with a friend so that will be great!

Edited by NeonRaven8919
spelling

4 minutes ago, NeonRaven8919 said:

Yes the doctor wants me to lose 10% of my weight before the surgery. Being on the national health service, I guess they want to take extra precautions to make the surgery approved by their boards and directors.

12 weeks seems a really long time, but I've had wait problems for over 30 years so in the grand scheme of things, it's no time at all.

Thanks for the suggestion about ways to Celebrate my birthday! I've made plans to get my nails done with a friend so that will be great!

That sounds like a lot of fun. Enjoy it.

43 minutes ago, NeonRaven8919 said:

I've had wait problems for over 30 years so in the grand scheme of things, it's no time at all.

THIS^^^ It's a mind over matter thing. Just remind yourself of your end goal during any weak moments. You can do this. Good luck!!!

29 minutes ago, BabySpoons said:

THIS^^^ It's a mind over matter thing. Just remind yourself of your end goal during any weak moments. You can do this. Good luck!!!

Thank you!

Honestly, in pounds, you weigh 272, and you need to lose 27. That's absolutely doable. I agree that 12 weeks is a LOOOONG liquid diet. Are you able to have even 1 meal per day at any point? I understand they want you to lose 27 pounds before your surgery, but 3 months on only liquids seems really, really harsh.

Either way. congratulations on getting your surgery day!!! You'll love your life after, I can tell you that.

6 hours ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

Honestly, in pounds, you weigh 272, and you need to lose 27. That's absolutely doable. I agree that 12 weeks is a LOOOONG liquid diet. Are you able to have even 1 meal per day at any point? I understand they want you to lose 27 pounds before your surgery, but 3 months on only liquids seems really, really harsh.

Either way. congratulations on getting your surgery day!!! You'll love your life after, I can tell you that.

Thanks for the support! I've been told just liquids. I've lost .4kg (.8) after 1 day so imagine feeling encouraged! I've been told no food because I need to lose weight quickly for the surgery and I need 1000-1200 calories a day. But I also ride my bike everywhere so ai think that helps with the weight loss.

4 hours ago, NeonRaven8919 said:

Thanks for the support! I've been told just liquids. I've lost .4kg (.8) after 1 day so imagine feeling encouraged! I've been told no food because I need to lose weight quickly for the surgery and I need 1000-1200 calories a day. But I also ride my bike everywhere so ai think that helps with the weight loss.

My main concern is, with you being active and on liquids only for 3 months, at some point your body may think it's starving and hold on to everything. If you're active, you actually need more calories to lose weight. Make sure you're having things like Protein Shakes, Bone Broth, etc so at least your body is getting some of what it needs. Protein is REALLY important, so prioritize that. I absolutely wish you well!!

Thanks! I'm definitely focusing on protein! I'm going to see how it goes until my follow up appointment in two weeks and discuss with the doctor.

I wanted to post a quick update. I had my birthday and definitely didn't follow my plan and the next day was my friends wedding so that day wasn't much better.

But I've regained my focus and I'm back to what I should be eating. I'm still losing weight and major slip ups aside. I'm not going backwards.

On 7/16/2024 at 4:55 AM, NeonRaven8919 said:

Hi!

I got approved for the surgery in May of 2024. Doctor first told me that I would most likely have to wait until 2025 because of how the long the hospital waiting list is. Suddenly, I got called last week saying they were able to do it in October of 2024.

So this is the first day of a 12 week liquid diet to lose 10% of my body weight before the surgery.

My birthday is coming up and I have wedding that I'm going to next week!

I'm happy that this is happening this year, but I also feel bummed because I feel like this is bad timing.

I'm really happy that this journey is starting. I've always been overweight and so was my mother. We were the only one's in the family who were. We moved to the UK when I was 14 and my stepfather was also overweight and he passed away in 2022 due to pneumonia and other weight related complications.

My mother had gastric bypass in 2008 and due to surgical complication, they couldn't fix a bowel perforation and she passed in 2023. She and my stepdad were the only people in my life who were really supportive of anything I did. I fell a little bit alone going through this now, but I'm feeling optimistic at the same time.

Just looking for other people to share my story with.

"So this is the first day of a 12 week liquid diet to lose 10% of my body weight before the surgery."

Wow, 12 weeks is a long time on the liquid diet portion of the prep surgery step! Im glad mine was only a week or two. Sorry for your losses, I'm sure its very difficult.

Good luck and congrats on getting your date moved up!

@BlondePatriotInCDA Thank you. I'm already done 11lbs in two weeks so I'm at least seeing progress so it's not as disheartening as I though it would be.

18 minutes ago, NeonRaven8919 said:

@BlondePatriotInCDA Thank you. I'm already done 11lbs in two weeks so I'm at least seeing progress so it's not as disheartening as I though it would be.

Oh you're doing great! One sip at a time and next thing you know you will have achieved your goals!

On Sunday morning, I was 118kg. Monday I was 118.8 and now I'm 119kg again! I'm still sticking with the diet! I don't understand it! My scale is a smart scale with body composition and says I'm losing muscle, but not fat! I'm getting more than enough Protein? I've heard of stalls, but you shouldn't gain during a stall, right?