Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just approved for Surgery in October 2024

6 hours ago, NeonRaven8919 said:

I've been told by my doctor that I'm behind the weight I should be losing. I should be done to 116kg (255 lbs) by now.

I really was starting to worry as the weight on the scale kept going up, but then I suddenly went down to 117kg. I had to stand on the scale twice because I couldn't believe the number. It was so easy the first couple of weeks of the pre-op diet and now it doesn't seem to be working as quickly.

I'm still doing what I need to, but it's not been easy. I've also been told by my doctor that after surgery, I won't be able to ride my bike for 6 weeks! This is more difficult than not being able to eat solid foods for weeks. My beautiful noble steed (her name is Angelique Iolanthe) will have to be in storage for 6 weeks.

7 more weeks until the surgery. I've been reading more articles and doing more research on the sleeve. I'm not sure if that easing the anxiety or adding to it.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories! It's one thing to do research and read medial information, but it's so much more reassuring to hear from people who have actually lived it. Even hearing the not so glamourous parts of life post-op.

Jeez, your Dr sounds a delight 😡 The Dr should be lifting you up on your successes to date, not making you panic over where you are. And spouting arbitrary nonsense over 2 frigging pounds when you still have 7 weeks to go to lose what, 8lbs altogether so you lose was it 21lbs overall pre-surgery?? I’m so sorry that you’ve had this today. Things like this just piss me off no end, especially as weight loss and gain is generally reliant on a lot of emotional issues and external pressures 🤬

Big hugs, we’re all cheering you on 🤗🥰🤗

I'm starting to doubt my decision to have the VSG rather than the Bypass. I keep hearing that the sleeve leads to an inevitable regain and I'd rather not do this surgery just to gain it all back if the bypass is better for long-term weight loss. Because it's the NHS and they only offer two surgeries I can only get VSG or bypass. I only chose the VSG because I fear the complications my mum had with the bypass.

Is it inevitable that I will gain it all back? Is it too late to change my mind about the surgery? I really don't know what to do!

3 hours ago, NeonRaven8919 said:

I'm starting to doubt my decision to have the VSG rather than the Bypass. I keep hearing that the sleeve leads to an inevitable regain and I'd rather not do this surgery just to gain it all back if the bypass is better for long-term weight loss. Because it's the NHS and they only offer two surgeries I can only get VSG or bypass. I only chose the VSG because I fear the complications my mum had with the bypass.

Is it inevitable that I will gain it all back? Is it too late to change my mind about the surgery? I really don't know what to do!

It’s never too late to change your mind and choose an alternative surgery. Please, please, please talk to your Bariatric team and tell them your worries and concerns. Being apprehensive is completely normal I would have thought, as this is some major surgery we’re choosing. You have your own fears because of what happened with your mum - again, completely normal. Let the team at the hospital go through it all with you and explain the pros and cons. Whatever decision you make, just make sure it’s an informed decision and that you feel comfortable with the outcome. I bet you’re not the first person the team will deal with who is having doubts, they will be prepared for it so make use of them!

14 hours ago, MrsFitz said:

It’s never too late to change your mind and choose an alternative surgery. Please, please, please talk to your Bariatric team and tell them your worries and concerns. Being apprehensive is completely normal I would have thought, as this is some major surgery we’re choosing. You have your own fears because of what happened with your mum - again, completely normal. Let the team at the hospital go through it all with you and explain the pros and cons. Whatever decision you make, just make sure it’s an informed decision and that you feel comfortable with the outcome. I bet you’re not the first person the team will deal with who is having doubts, they will be prepared for it so make use of them!

Thanks! I think it's just coming closer to the actual date, and I finally had a freak out. As I'm relying on the NHS, I don't want to get told the won't cover a revision down the line. But this forum seems to have people with good stories about long term success with the sleeve. I think I just need to speak with the doctor again.

I sent my surgical team an email to say I would like to be considered for the bypass instead. My fear is that this will put me behind schedule and they will schedule me for next year when as it is the surgery is a month away.

I don't want to feel like I'm going backwards, which is how I would feel if they had to reschedule my surgery, but I want to set myself up for the most effective way forward.

Maybe the surgeon will reassure me that the sleeve is the best option for me? I don't know. But I should definitely have the conversation. Barring a complication, I don't think revision surgery will be possible unless I win the lottery and go private.

33 minutes ago, NeonRaven8919 said:

I sent my surgical team an email to say I would like to be considered for the bypass instead. My fear is that this will put me behind schedule and they will schedule me for next year when as it is the surgery is a month away.

I don't want to feel like I'm going backwards, which is how I would feel if they had to reschedule my surgery, but I want to set myself up for the most effective way forward.

Maybe the surgeon will reassure me that the sleeve is the best option for me? I don't know. But I should definitely have the conversation. Barring a complication, I don't think revision surgery will be possible unless I win the lottery and go private.

Well your not totally off base if your okay with the bypass. It’s a little more aggressive so it carries with it a little more risk than the sleeve. The reason they do the sleeve I believe is because it’s a bit safer and it is adequate for many people to lose and keep it off but there are some (like me) with regain that need a revision and some that need revision because of GERD and other complications. I would ask the surgeon what percentage of patients need revision because of inadequate loss and/or regain and what percentage for GERD. I believe I read somewhere that it’s 26% need revision but I would definitely not swear to it and I am not sure if that was just for weight or for complications too. I think even if you do end up having to wait it is a good call to get all of your questions answered and feel confident in your decision that it is what’s best for you.