Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mini Gastric Bypass - Turkey - Recommendations/experiences good or bad?

Hi all

im looking for advise, recommendations and experiences of having weightloss surgery abroad.

ive had a gastric band for 15 years now. ive never really worked well with the band (totally my fault, not getting head in right place) but im older, wiser and heavier now than i have ever been in my life.

I saw a consultant who suggested a gastric bypass, however the costs look to be upwards of £13,500. ive seen posts on social media about vastly cheaper operations in Turkey.

Has anyone experienced this type of surgery abroad? is it too good to be true? im happy to hear warts and all stories. i just need to be so sure before i take the plunge.

Many thanks all

there have been a few Europeans on here who've had weight loss surgery in Turkey. As long as you do your research, you should be OK. As is true anywhere, there are good surgeons in Turkey and likely some not-so-good ones. Read reviews, check with people who've had it done there, etc. And make sure your GP is willing to do your follow-ups (regular blood tests, etc)

Also, check to make sure that if you have any complications later on that a local surgeon will take you on. Here in the USA, it's almost impossible to find a surgeon that will accept you as a patient if you had a procedure in another country. Hell, sometimes they won't even take you if you had it with another US surgeon in a different state. So make sure it's not that way where you live before you commit to going abroad to having your surgery.

Hi Klare, I know of two people who went to Turkey for the surgery. First one was ok but second person had a shocking experience. The surgeon made her oesophagus too short and she cant keep any food down. She is seriously ill. She has had a bad time with doctors over here [ she says ] because she had the op outside the UK. I know in my heart all doctors can't be like this, they take an oath after all. Some who go get next to no pre or aftercare. They come on here asking for advice which is ok, its what we do but this is huge life and mind changing surgery. We all needed tons of help especially in the first months.

Private hospitals over here offer a surgery package. I got two years aftercare. Monthly visits with a dietician and surgeon if I needed it, I did. They offer interest free loans. I wanted the surgery very badly, it cost me every penny I had. I don't know if I could have gone the overseas route if I didn't have the cash. There was so much I didn't know about what this surgery does.

There are people who have posted on here that going from a Lap band to Gastric bypass was two surgeries. Surgeons wouldn't do both surgeries at once. You have a lot to think about. Good luck with your chosen journey.