Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you wish you had done BEFORE your gastric bypass surgery to get ready?

3 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

Are you talking about them souper cubes or a generic version of them? I have the larger ones from before surgery for freezing chili. They are so handy. I know they have smaller sizes. Even ice cube sized ones would probably be good for our serving sizes. Then you can pop out how ever many cubes depending on how much you can eat through the stages. It works probably thaw faster too.

I've just got some generic version, it shows measurements both in 1/2c increments and 125ml increments. The half cup is more useful, but even the full cup works out cause I'm often happy to eat the same thing two days in row. I never considered regular ice cube trays though -- way more cost efficient.

So let me update my WDYWYHD Before WLS: I wish I'd considered how to best use kitchen stuff I already have on hand rather than wasting money on things I didn't really need to buy 'special versions' of. XD

20 hours ago, JennyBeez said:

So let me update my WDYWYHD Before WLS: I wish I'd considered how to best use kitchen stuff I already have on hand rather than wasting money on things I didn't really need to buy 'special versions' of. XD

100% this! I bought a lot of bariatric versions of things that I think helped me mentally before surgery, because feeling like I was preparing made me less anxious, but that I truly did not need. This includes portion plates and special containers, not to mention way too much Protein Powder and things like Jello packets I've barely touched 5 months out.

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, NickelChip said:

100% this! I bought a lot of bariatric versions of things that I think helped me mentally before surgery, because feeling like I was preparing made me less anxious, but that I truly did not need. This includes portion plates and special containers, not to mention way too much Protein Powder and things like Jello packets I've barely touched 5 months out.

Yea. I think now that we are In a time that we can get most things delivered in two days, if not same day or overnight, a lot of that we can wait to see if we actually do need it. Maybe add to cart and save for later is a way to feel less anxious without spending all the money.

Edited by ShoppGirl

I am trying to clean and get organized pre op for my revision and I want to put all these Protein Shakes away. Well if you have a

tony kitchen and tiny pantry like me, I want to put them on top of fridge but I bough the big ones of the flavors I knew I could give away if I don’t like to save some money but, they are going to be too hard for me to lift post surgery. I wish I had got the smaller packs for now. No biggie. Just have to stay on top of it and ask hubby to get them down individually but it would’ve been easier yo ask him to get down a 4 pack.

in the whole scheme of things it’s pretty tiny but something to think about. And if you are by yourself I would probably take them out of package and put on counter ahead of time anyways.

I took a nutrition online class at my community college 2 years after gastric bypass and I wished I had learned more sooner. food blogs, peer support is great, but college courses hit differently. Knowledge from that class sparked a health and mental health change in me. It’s not about Protein or what supplements are trendy, it’s about what your specific body is lacking and needing. I get routine labs done 2-3 times yearly, which is more than recommended. I quit seeing my bariatric surgeon and my medical doctor prescribes only what Vitamins show up that are low or needing more. That changed the bariatric fatigue I’d get and I’ve never felt stronger/healthier. Getting another doctor on my care, continuing health education and following my blood work are all things I wished I done sooner.

I wish I had taken some 'before' pictures so that I could see the great changes. I still don't think I see the real me in the mirror at times so wish I could look at how fat (I can now say that about myself 😄) I was pre-op.

I did switch to Decaf for the two weeks pre-op as read it online but the hospital were giving me (disgusting) coffee the day after the op and continued to offer it to me every day I was there but my tastebuds couldn't hack it so I went with herbal tea each time. Now, a year later, coffee is no problem and have it running through my veins.

I also made a batch of liquid Soups for the first week and froze them in 150ml containers so that I wouldn't have to worry about it, just needed to add Protein Powder at the time, plus I prepped the veg for a second batch of Soup and froze them so it meant I just had to put them in the slow cooker with a stock cube, no standing around peeling, chopping etc.

I am just now learning that a mug warmer would be really handy. All this Soup and post surgery you have to eat so slow it gets cold pretty quick someone in another thread just replied that it works all the way through soft food stage. You just used a saucer in the warmer plate.

5 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

I am just now learning that a mug warmer would be really handy. All this Soup and post surgery you have to eat so slow it gets cold pretty quick someone in another thread just replied that it works all the way through soft food stage. You just used a saucer in the warmer plate.

What a great idea! I thought about a thermos insulated Soup mug

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, MrsFitz said:

What a great idea! I thought about a thermos insulated Soup mug

If you get one of them don’t fill it with more than you plan to use. I just tried mine tonight when I decided I prefer to eat with a spoon to feel Ike I’m getting food. I couldn’t open the lid cause it’s a YETI so of course the seal is 5000 times stronger than any other but when hubby opened it he spilled Tomato Soup anywhere. I think the one with a screw on lid would be much better. Think this is intended for you to use all the contents before you open the lid. Anyways, I added the warmer to my Walmart cart. They have one in stock that comes with its own mug for $24.99. They have cheaper ones you use your own mug if you have time to wait but I really kinda need it soon.

Edited by ShoppGirl

1 minute ago, ShoppGirl said:

If you get one of them don’t fill it with more than you plan to use. I just tried mine tonight when I decided I prefer to eat with a spoon to feel Ike I’m getting food. I couldn’t open the lid cause it’s a YETI so of course the seal is 5000 times stronger than any other but when hubby opened it he spilled Tomato Soup anywhere. I added the warmer to my Walmart cart. They have one in stock that comes with its own mug for $24.99. They have cheaper ones you use your own mug if you have time to wait but I really kinda need it soon.

Am I a bad person for smiling over the Soup accident? Sorry! I’ve just had a look at Amazon and stuck one on my wish list in order to remind me closer to the time 🙂

1 minute ago, MrsFitz said:

Am I a bad person for smiling over the Soup accident? Sorry! I’ve just had a look at Amazon and stuck one on my wish list in order to remind me closer to the time 🙂

Not at all. I chuckled a little too. Luckily he was was in the garage so it can all just be hosed out. Super glad it wasn’t inside.

On 07/27/2024 at 21:33, Mygirl0226 said:

I took a nutrition online class at my community college 2 years after gastric bypass and I wished I had learned more sooner. food blogs, peer support is great, but college courses hit differently. Knowledge from that class sparked a health and mental health change in me. It’s not about Protein or what supplements are trendy, it’s about what your specific body is lacking and needing. I get routine labs done 2-3 times yearly, which is more than recommended. I quit seeing my bariatric surgeon and my medical doctor prescribes only what Vitamins show up that are low or needing more. That changed the bariatric fatigue I’d get and I’ve never felt stronger/healthier. Getting another doctor on my care, continuing health education and following my blood work are all things I wished I done sooner.

I’m super impressed by this. Where do you get these routine labs done?

2 hours ago, Jalapeño said:

What do people find helps for their Constipation? Those who take medication, is it daily?

I put benefiber in 1-2 beverages per day and take one stool softener at night. It seems to have cured the issues that I initially had. I haven't had any issues getting enough liquid since day one, but I think if you were having that issue, you can take more than 1 softener. This was doctor recommended out of the hospital. I ignored her initially and thought I could get by without the protocol. I was wrong wrong wrong.

5 hours ago, Jalapeño said:

What do people find helps for their Constipation? Those who take medication, is it daily?

Some do take something every day others don’t. Depends on your needs. I took, a stool softener (coloxyl) if I got to a third day without any movement. Some swear by that Smooth Move tea but any over the counter medication will help. Add a non swelling fibre like Benefibre every day too. Ensure you're getting your fluids in. Do t expect to go every day the first couple of month. You are consuming very little so have little to poop. Do try to keep on top of it though to avoid it becoming chronic, painful & needing extra strong medication or other intervention to break it.