Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you wish you had done BEFORE your gastric bypass surgery to get ready?

Hello! I'm a brand-newbie and am scheduled for surgery on September 5, 2024. I've gone through 6 months with a dietician, sleep study, endoscopy, all of the usual suspects. Now I'm in the official countdown to actually having the surgery and I thought it might be interesting to hear from some folks who have been through it and what they wish they would have done in this timeframe. Should I be working out more? Is it too early to start a liquid diet? What should I get ready in my house for when I come home afterwards?

Any advice is appreciated!!!

Diane

You don’t need to take a lot with you to the hospital. All you really need is your phone charger and some Chapstick and your toothbrush and your hairbrush and slippers if you wear them. You could wear the same clothes home from the hospital that you wore to the hospital because you’re really not going to be in them for very long.

Not wish but glad that I did. I stopped caffeine about a month or so before surgery, I tracked all my food so I got in the habit, I went for walks to build up stamina, only 3x a week until surgery, I had different kind of Protein Shakes, one of each kind that tickled my fancy so after surgery I had options. Some I liked and got more, some I had one drink then gave to my hubs.

I would wait for the liquid diet until they tell you to start because it sucks! I only had to do 1day and I complained the entire day LOL, some people do a food funeral where they eat all the foods they want since that will be on hold for a bit.

I actually deep cleaned my house the week before surgery (I am super Type A LOL) but made me feel good that I didn't have to worry about house keeping for a minute.

I do wish I would cleaned out my pantry better, I had junk food in my house and even though I didn't give into temptation, it was there. Also my mindset with food. I'm 6months post op and it still messes with me, like wanting to eat huge burrito because I'm upset but knowing I physically cant. Its like breaking up with someone. @SleeveToBypass2023 said it really well, breaking in a very toxic relationship, you know its not good for you but you still go back. If you can mentally prepare yourself for it. Its a mindf*%^ .

Great advice! A home-deep-clean is definitely on the horizon. And I'm definitely going to try the Protein Shakes to see which one works the best for me. Thank you!

Not sure if you the same but for me when I eat carbs I crave carbs. If you are like that don’t do any food funerals immediately before your pro op. It will only make it that much harder. If you have to do food funerals then just do them a week earlier and eat lower carb the week before your pre op diet. It made it tolerable for me when I did my sleeve.

Posted (edited)

Don’t stock up too much on Protein drinks if you can help it. Your tastes may change a little post up and tastes for sweets is a common change. I suggest going to a convenience store to get a variety of flavors in singles serves or the four packs they have at Walmart. Enough to get you through a week would probably be safe. Then you can place a grocery order for pickup on your way home from your post op appt for the ones you actually do like or order them from Amazon. (Make certain they have your brand ahead of time of course). If you do get some that are too sweet post surgery don’t toss Them right away though. Once you can have caffeine they may not be so bad mixed with coffee. Either a little as creamer in a hot coffee or more mixed with iced coffee for a “proffee” If you don’t have anyone that can get them for you if your recovery takes longer Maybe buy ahead just in case but save your receipt

You may also want to be sure you have something on hand for Constipation if your team didn’t tell you to already.

Edited by ShoppGirl

I had not thought about Constipation. Thank you for the advice! I've only recently heard of proffee and I'm planning on trying it beforehand. I even tried Postum as a potential coffee replacement. I love coffee! :415_coffee:

6 minutes ago, DianeF said:

I had not thought about Constipation. Thank you for the advice! I've only recently heard of proffee and I'm planning on trying it beforehand. I even tried Postum as a potential coffee replacement. I love coffee! :415_coffee:

You can do it with Decaf immediately post surgery until your allowed caffeine too. Mixed with the shake it’s not as off tasting.

58 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

Not sure if you the same but for me when I eat carbs I crave carbs. If you are like that don’t do any food funerals immediately before your pro op. It will only make it that much harder. If you have to do food funerals then just do them a week earlier and eat lower carb the week before your pre op diet. It made it tolerable for me when I did my sleeve.

(I just figured out how to respond to something directly!)

I can't do food funerals. I would binge like a mad man! The thought is fun, but my reality would be awful. In one of my weight loss classes they gave the advice, "Go to the wedding, get the biggest piece of cake, look at it, smell it, take the smallest bite, then throw it away. And remind yourself that you're better than that." My immediate thought was, What world do they live in? Because I knew I couldn't do that.

31 minutes ago, DianeF said:

(I just figured out how to respond to something directly!)

I can't do food funerals. I would binge like a mad man! The thought is fun, but my reality would be awful. In one of my weight loss classes they gave the advice, "Go to the wedding, get the biggest piece of cake, look at it, smell it, take the smallest bite, then throw it away. And remind yourself that you're better than that." My immediate thought was, What world do they live in? Because I knew I couldn't do that.

Yea. We all know what is the best course of action for myself. Gotta do what you know will work for you.

Posted (edited)

As @AmberFL suggested, I’d start tracking your food intake. You don’t have to do it religiously to begin but just to start the routine & also get an idea of what you’re eating (nutritional value, calories & portion sizes). Then you could make small changes over the next few months like adjust your portion sizes, swap out some cooking styles or ingredients to healthier ones, try new recipes, drop a snack, etc.

Also an opportunity to start to reflect on your relationship with food. Do you eat to comfort or sooth yourself (when you’re sad, stressed, anxious, angry, etc.)? Do you crave certain foods when you’re bored? Are you an hormonal carb or sweet? Do you have any eating habits like always snack at the movies or watching tv or have to have cake or a muffin with your coffee, etc. And so on.

And, yes, start incorporating some activity into your week. Good opportunity to try some different things to see what you enjoy.

You don’t have to embrace everything all at once. Simple small changes are always easier to adopt & adapt to than jumping in the deep end. You have time before your surgery.

Second the advice not to buy up big in Protein Shakes. A temporary change in your taste buds is very common after the surgery and many find a flavour or brand of shake they enjoyed before the surgery in the pre surgery diet is disgusting after. Things can become too sweet &/or salty, the texture can be off putting and for some it’s the smell of certain foods. It can last upwards of around 6 or so weeks.

I’m in Australia so none of the prolonged wait you have to go through. My surgery was not quite 4 weeks after I first met with the surgeon so I didn’t really have time to do anything - lol!

Edited by Arabesque

Don't overthink it. We tend to want to over-prepare, pack too much, stock up way too much, read every single thing we see online and then obsess about any negative thing we see. You're ready. You've finished all the hurdles, you've been approved, you have the date. There's not a lot you can do 2 months before your surgery.

Maybe start looking at different food tracking apps to see which feels the most user friendly to you. Look through youtube to find some good GENTLE workouts for the first 6 weeks post op and save them to a private playlist for yourself. Make sure you have some loose clothing for after surgery. I bought one of those big, cure jugs that is 64fl oz so it would be easy to measure how much Water and fluids I was taking in (admittedly, at first I was barely getting in 3-4oz at a time, but I quickly worked my way up and was glad I had that because it was cute and convenient).

Make sure you have plenty of Miralax on hand and possibly, if things are really plugged up, a laxative/stool softener combo. And I made sure when I was drinking broth, it was Bone Broth because it has more Protein. That's really it.

On 7/12/2024 at 7:45 PM, DianeF said:

Constipation has been THE thing that I have struggled with most post-surgery. Pleaseeee get something to help with this before the symptoms of it start kicking in - I didn't do this and boy did I suffer 😂

Cleaning the house/flat is definitely a good place to start!

I also wrote myself a letter for like 6 months post-op to open so that I could reflect back on how I was feeling, and the hopes that 'old' me had for 'new' me.

Best of luck!

1 minute ago, Bypass2Freedom said:

Constipation has been THE thing that I have struggled with most post-surgery. Pleaseeee get something to help with this before the symptoms of it start kicking in - I didn't do this and boy did I suffer 😂

Cleaning the house/flat is definitely a good place to start!

I also wrote myself a letter for like 6 months post-op to open so that I could reflect back on how I was feeling, and the hopes that 'old' me had for 'new' me.

Best of luck!

I love the idea of the letter!!

1 minute ago, ShoppGirl said:

I love the idea of the letter!!

I am actually quite excited to open it as I can't remember a damn thing I have written 😂 I read that it is supposed to really help, especially if you are struggling at the 6 month point with not losing enough etc, it kinda reminds you of how you felt before surgery, and why you did it!