Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I am due to go on holiday to Greece in mid-September. It'll be my first time going to a hot country in my entire life. I genuinely think if I hadn't of had WLS I wouldn't go - I just know it would have been pure suffering!

By September I'll be approximately 4 months post-surgery!

So my question is...when do I buy new clothes for this?! I already know my clothes 1) are getting too big, and 2) are not suitable for a hot country (living in the UK means my wardrobe is predominantly black & full of jumpers & hoodies).

Also, I don't even know what to wear or what size I am/will be by then! Ughhhhh this is hard 😂

Do you like dresses? I adore dresses for warm weather. I suggest getting some loose, flowing types and a few light cardigans or those scarf-life draping kimono/shawl thingies for if you go inside somewhere that is cooler or want to cover your arms. I would probably take measurements to match up to your size on online size charts and try ordering or shopping in mid-August. You might get some things on end-of-season clearance. Actually, one of my favorite tricks is to find one dress I like and buy it in 3 or 4 neutral colors, and then top it with different accessories that I can use at any dress size. Three different kimonos will make a single dress look like you have three.

1 minute ago, NickelChip said:

Do you like dresses? I adore dresses for warm weather. I suggest getting some loose, flowing types and a few light cardigans or those scarf-life draping kimono/shawl thingies for if you go inside somewhere that is cooler or want to cover your arms. I would probably take measurements to match up to your size on online size charts and try ordering or shopping in mid-August. You might get some things on end-of-season clearance. Actually, one of my favorite tricks is to find one dress I like and buy it in 3 or 4 neutral colors, and then top it with different accessories that I can use at any dress size. Three different kimonos will make a single dress look like you have three.

I do definitely like dresses! I will definitely give that a go - I didn't even consider ordering the same thing in different colours 😂 Thank you so much for the wisdom!

I know the autumn styles will be in the shops closer to when you go so it could be difficult to find summer clothes by then but if you can wait a few weeks I would as you could drop a couple of sizes before your trip.

If you can't wait you could get a summer dress (or three) in a size or two smaller than you are now and then have some belts if the style suits that way you can cinch them in if needed.

Another thing is drawstring loose trousers as that way even as your waist shrinks you can adjust the waistband. I got lovely ones in M&S in both navy and black and even though they are the bit too big now they have a nice summer flow to them.

I do the same thing with clothes. If I find something that I actually like the fit I stick with it. Sometimes I buy backups for when something wears out. lol You could also consider Skorts. They look a little dressier than shorts while still being comfy. A couple solid color ones should pretty much match any tops you want to pair them with.

10 minutes ago, FifiLux said:

I know the autumn styles will be in the shops closer to when you go so it could be difficult to find summer clothes by then but if you can wait a few weeks I would as you could drop a couple of sizes before your trip.

If you can't wait you could get a summer dress (or three) in a size or two smaller than you are now and then have some belts if the style suits that way you can cinch them in if needed.

Another thing is drawstring loose trousers as that way even as your waist shrinks you can adjust the waistband. I got lovely ones in M&S in both navy and black and even though they are the bit too big now they have a nice summer flow to them.

Hmm, that is true actually! It feels as though we have skipped Summer here 😅 I shall hold off from buying anything just yet, as I am conscious of how fast the weight loss is right now!

I think I am suffering a bit from imposter syndrome right now - I feel like a fraud if I were to buy smaller sizes if that makes sense! Like my body won't actually ever fit into them (which I know is insane, given that I am and have lost weight) but my brain hasn't caught up yet.

I have heard nothing but good things about M&S - I may create a holiday wishlist on there! I admit I have never even worn those kinds of trousers before! But I think that was just due to me not feeling like they'd suit my shape!

9 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

I do the same thing with clothes. If I find something that I actually like the fit I stick with it. Sometimes I buy backups for when something wears out. lol You could also consider Skorts. They look a little dressier than shorts while still being comfy. A couple solid color ones should pretty much match any tops you want to pair them with.

Seems like the way to go then! That and maybe raiding some of my old clothes 🤔 I have never tried skorts before! I swear I have just been living in stretchy leggings for what seems like a lifetime...time to be brave!

3 minutes ago, Bypass2Freedom said:

Seems like the way to go then! That and maybe raiding some of my old clothes 🤔 I have never tried skorts before! I swear I have just been living in stretchy leggings for what seems like a lifetime...time to be brave!

Well if you like dresses they will definitely be cuter but depending on what your doing excursion wise sometimes you need the coverage that the shorts underneath provide.

Just now, ShoppGirl said:

Well if you like dresses they will definitely be cuter but depending on what your doing excursion wise sometimes you need the coverage that the shorts underneath provide.

I shall have a look for some nice ones :) Snag Tights do great 'chubb rub' shorts, which I will make sure I am stocked up on 😂

Just now, Bypass2Freedom said:

I shall have a look for some nice ones :) Snag Tights do great 'chubb rub' shorts, which I will make sure I am stocked up on 😂

That’s good to know. I have been wearing leggings or jeggings for years as well. Even when it’s swelteringly hot unfortunately. I did find a product that’s a cream I used when I had my sleeve and would walk in treadmill that helps prevent chafing. It’s called chamois Butt’r. I found it on Amazon and it works. Can’t really attest to how long it works for because I just put it on and washed it off after I exercised but it definitely worked.

2 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

That’s good to know. I have been wearing leggings or jeggings for years as well. Even when it’s swelteringly hot unfortunately. I did find a product that’s a cream I used when I had my sleeve and would walk in treadmill that helps prevent chafing. It’s called chamois Butt’r. I found it on Amazon and it works. Can’t really attest to how long it works for because I just put it on and washed it off after I exercised but it definitely worked.

Genuinely Snag Tights are so good! I recommend them so highly!

I shall have a look at that - would be nice not to have to rely purely on shorts to prevent chafing!

2 minutes ago, Bypass2Freedom said:

Genuinely Snag Tights are so good! I recommend them so highly!

I shall have a look at that - would be nice not to have to rely purely on shorts to prevent chafing!

I just bookmarked their site to check it out later. Thanks

Just now, ShoppGirl said:

I just bookmarked their site to check it out later. Thanks

I hope you find something you like!

34 minutes ago, Bypass2Freedom said:

Hmm, that is true actually! It feels as though we have skipped Summer here 😅 I shall hold off from buying anything just yet, as I am conscious of how fast the weight loss is right now!

I think I am suffering a bit from imposter syndrome right now - I feel like a fraud if I were to buy smaller sizes if that makes sense! Like my body won't actually ever fit into them (which I know is insane, given that I am and have lost weight) but my brain hasn't caught up yet.

I have heard nothing but good things about M&S - I may create a holiday wishlist on there! I admit I have never even worn those kinds of trousers before! But I think that was just due to me not feeling like they'd suit my shape!

I hear you and went through the same and wasted money on clothes that I never got to wear or wear only a couple of times before they became to big for me. I have bought so many pairs of jeans over the last few months - gone from a 3XL to a 28" waist (so size 10 to 12 depending on brand) - it is crazy.

These are the ones I got - https://www.marksandspencer.com/linen-rich-wide-leg-trousers/p/clp60636306?color=NAVY#intid=pid_pg1pip48g4r2c3

Next also have similar (I also have them) - https://www.next.co.uk/style/su051427/709159#709159

Do you have any idea of the kinds of temperatures you could be looking at so you can plan around that? We generally go to Cyprus in mid September and the temps can be mid-40s.

Have a look at Superdrug for Lanacane anti-chafing gel https://www.superdrug.com/health/medicated-skin/medicated-skin-treatments/lanacane-anti-chafing-gel-28g/p/687900

I would also have a look for some mozzie repellent too as you don’t want to be bitten to death!

Lots of stores are having a sale now, especially as our summer has been a complete washout. Have a look at Roman - 60% off sale plus use the code EPIC for a further 15% off everything (got to love a discount code 😉) The Next sale began at the weekend, Tu has up to 50% off brands, George (Asda) have their sale on plus Debenhams always have some sort of sale on!

Thin, floaty things are always a winner as already mentioned by others. Thin tops and loose shorts are good for daytime, just be careful on sitting on hot, plastic seating outside cafes etc as you can end up leaving the skin off the back of your thighs behind (definitely speaking from experience with that one 🙄) A hat is a must as well as some high factor sun cream to begin with. Tescos dry oil is pretty good - you don’t end up feeling horribly sticky with it; Boots have sun cream and after sun that has insect repellent already in and doesn’t stink. A pack of one a day over the counter antihistamines are really useful if you suffer from prickly heat (or if you don’t normally but start with it on holiday) Take it with you as it’s generally expensive abroad, same with paracetamol.

More importantly, have a totally wonderful time and revel in your fantastic weight loss to date!