Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I will be 2yrs post op in Sept this year, I only lost 70 lbs and I have gained 15/20 of that back. I’m so uncomfortable and frustrated with my body. I’m hungry constantly, absolutely NO energy, tired all the time. Was dx with Narcolepsy on top of sleep apnea this year. I see myself falling back into my old habits and I’m absolutely terrified I’m going back to my weight gain. I need some hard truth given to me. I feel so lost and in a horrible slump that I can’t get out of.

It's not that you need hard truth, you just need to face some truths for yourself. There's nothing we can tell you that you don't already know. You know what the bariatric diet is. You know what to eat and what not to. You know how much to eat, how often, and when to stop. You need to get back to basics.

Maybe start the bariatric diet over. Do a week on each step of the diet to retrain your stomach and brain on what to do and not do. There's no "pouch shrinking diet" but there's a "retrain yourself how to eat properly again" diet, and it's essentially to start back over with the basics and go from there.

Reach back out to the nutritionist from your surgeon's office if you need help or new meal ideas. Go back to using calorie/carb/protein/fat counting apps. Measure out your food again. Log your meals and meal plan. Make sure you're moving your body at least a little every day. Cut out sugar and salt as much as you can.

Do all the things you did when you lost the 70 pounds. Do the things you already know to do. There's not really any new tips and tricks. It's lifestyle changes you need to make and stick with. If you didn't do it before, do it now.

Posted (edited)

Congratulations on your loss. It’s not nothing, every bit you lose makes you that much healthier so try not to think of it as ONLY 70 pounds. Take it from someone who thought like you did and stopped trying. I ended up gaining it all back because I was ashamed and felt like a failure. Obesity is complex. You are not a failure. You just need more help. If you haven’t already, make an appointment with your surgeon. They should have some tools to help get you back on track. If they have a live support group you may find that helpful as well as posting here.

Edited by ShoppGirl

I can only reiterate what others before have said, they have great advice. You did great and you can do it again. My advice for what its worth is try and find a few minutes to plan your food for the coming week, buy it and stick to your purchases. I know its tougher if you are feeding a family who eat foods you are trying not to eat. Use a good food tracker, track and eat your Protein. It fills you and does wonders for your body. Find an exercise you can stick with. Keep coming back to this site and update us. We all struggle at some point.

Great advice from the others. I’ll add track what you are eating now, how much, what & how often. It can help identify where you’re veering off course. It can also help to note your emotions or why you may be eating when you do. (Why do I want this snack? Am I bored, angry, sad, happy, frustrated, etc.) Then start making changes. Make one or two changes every two weeks or so. For example, cut back on portion sizes & up your fluids, then reduce how often you eat (drop a snack) & meet your Protein goal, then try switching up your ingredients & cooking styles, etc. It’s easier to adopt & adapt to one or two small changes at a time than making huge changes all at once.

Also find a therapist who can support you as you work through your relationship with food. If you didn’t see someone before your surgery, your team should be able to recommend someone who deals with bariatric patients & disordered eating.

Self discipline doesn't seem to work for most people in a position to need WLS. Instead maybe call it focus? Refocus, rededicate, recommit to the plan.

It sounds like a lot of people have that 10-15-20 lb rebound after they stop losing, so that sounds kind of natural. Don't sneer at your 70lb loss though -- that's the average / median weight of a 10 year old girl. You have lost the equivalent of an entire child's body weight.

I definitely second the therapist / group counselling route. I personally think therapy is good for everyone, anywhere, anytime -- but for things like ED it can be a game changer.

Also? This forum. Come here often. Make it a point to log in at least two times a week, even if it's just to say hi, or grumble about your new Protein Powder tasting like saccharine-dipped-shite, etc. Honestly, reading other people's trials & tribulations reaching out and interacting on the regular with other people who are on similar journeys can be such a great support.