Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seeing diverse opinions - what’s your experience? Do you use one, if yes when did you start? Any problems etc

I use a straw and have had no problems. My program said not to use one because it might cause me to swallow too much air and result in discomfort. This has not been my experience, and frankly, I found it a little silly because if anything, drinking with a straw causes me to swallow much less air than drinking from a bottle or cup because I tend to gulp from an open container. I think most people know which way of drinking works best for themselves, and it's very individual. If you swallow more air with a straw, avoid it. If you don't, you will likely be able to use one post surgery without any issues.

No one told me not too. So I used one from the get go. It helped me with little sips. TBH I cant see why you could suck air in ? Your mouth is on one end and its in the drink at the other ?

My program advises against it on the air ground but they helped me get more Fluid in preop so thinking of trying

Posted (edited)

I was advised against, because of potential air bubbles, but after a few months I started using a sports bottle that has a straw and have had no issues once I don't gulp the Water, which I should be doing with or without a straw anyway. I find it an easier way to control my sip/intake.

I would say try it slowly, for a little bit of a drink and see how you go.

Edited by FifiLux

Debating whether to try one month post op or wait for 3 months

I waited a while before I tried it after my sleeve but then started and I drink everything with a straw now without issued. Funny thing is that I am pending revision so I said I need to practice drinking without a straw again and I swear I keep choking myself trying to drink normally. That has to be creating more air than the straw. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I hear you

how long after the sleeve did you use straw

4 minutes ago, Fars said:

I hear you

how long after the sleeve did you use straw

I want to say I was at least 6 months out. I was back to eating totally normal. I had planned to follow the rule but one day I just forgot and nothing happened...so I went back to straws when I was out at first and then eventually I started using them at home too.

I also started using them once I was a few months out

I was told not to use it the first 12 weeks, but after that, it was fine. And it's been completely fine, no issues at all.

3 months seems like a good starting point

I wasn’t told not to use a straw either & like some of the others I did pretty much from after surgery simply because it helped me sip. I even used them to sip my Soup. I only did it for probably the first 2 months as by then I had mastered sipping & knew how much I could manage with each swallow. After that initial period I found it much easier to drink from a glass or cup than anything else. Actually I’ve never really liked drinking with straws or using those sippy cup lids on takeaway beverages but that’s me.

Use whatever works for you to get your fluids in. If you find straws helpful use them just be mindful of possibly swallowing more air.