Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What’s for dinner? The non cooks version.

So I follow the food before and after thread and I’m always amazed by all the yummy looking things they come up with but I am more of the five ingredients or less kind of cook so I lurke and admire but rarely post anything. I really struggle with variety and I am always looking for new ideas. Today I bought lean beef, mahi mahi and chicken breasts and now I’m sitting here trying to think of what to make for dinner but nothing sounds good. Does anyone have any tasty, yet somewhat easy, recipes or suggestions. I am trying to start eating close to how I will be eventually eating post revision surgery that is scheduled for early august. What your plan for dinner tonight??

Edited by ShoppGirl

Just found a recipe for chicken that uses a glaze made of honey, soy sauce, garlic and red pepper flakes called 15 minute honey garlic chicken. Thinking of doing that tonight with a little cauliflower rice and some broccoli. I’m still looking for ideas though. I don’t know how to cook that many things to begin with so when I try to go healthier I swear I have to eat the same like 5 things over and over. I’m curious if the honey will cause issues post surgery though. It’s only 3tbsp for a pound and a half of chicken I haven’t ever looked at the carbs in honey though.Yikes, one tbsp Is 17g carbs. I guesstimate each serving will have about half a tablespoon?! Not certain if this will work in weight loss phase or not. I need to get the number from my surgeon at my post op because the nutritionists are incompetent but that’s for a whole other topic.

Edited by ShoppGirl

I *usually* fall into the non cook side these days so don’t worry about being a pro chef on the food Before and After Thread. The pandemic destroyed my love of cooking. I did too much. These days like to batch cook and eat the same things until they’re gone. I have zero problems eating the same things on repeat because I don’t really crave specific foods (except chocolate) I just get hungry in general.

TBH I don’t use traditional sweeteners often but when I do it’s VERY sparingly and actually measured. I prefer buy premade glazes so I can control the calories. Most of favorite things are also the easiest, like air fryer naked chicken tenders. Just thin slices chicken breast spices and a little oil.

I’m pretty simple too - if I can’t do it in 20 minutes not interested (for every day cooking) & I have favourites I cook on repeat. Plus all the leftover meals in my freezer, I actually only cook a couple of times a week. Most is reheating & only cooking vegetables.

Honey is like sugar in that it is an added sugar so check with your team as to how much you can have each day post your Sadi. But it’s not.that you’ll be eating it everyday anyway not eating a huge portion. You can always reduce the amount of honey in the recipe if you’re really concerned.

Personally, I like honey soy sauce marinated chicken or pork & cook it a couple of times a month. I’d share my recipe but I’m a ‘that looks about enough’ or ‘I’m not adding that much’ of an ingredient cook - a recipe is only a guide not a rule.

I’d google easy mahi mahi recipes or easy beef (what ever the cut) recipes & see what looks interesting. It’s what I do sometimes.

Our weather here is really weird these days. Its July and its cold. So I have gone back to winter food. Today I am eating Corned beef hash. Its basically veg, potatoes and tinned corned beef. Start with the longest to cook. I add barley and lentils for extra Protein and roughage. Its simple, made in one pan or slow cooker.

Yesterday I had What I call finger food. Stuff I don't need a knife and fork for. I was really hungry and needed stuff super quick. I put on a plate, celery, cream cheese, grapes, prawns and a few cashews. It could also have different stuff for protein, cheese, deli meats, crab sticks, mussels, pickled fish and anchovies.

I make the family lasagne. I cant stomach the Pasta so I make mine in small dishes with baked Aubergines instead for layers.

Omelettes are great, I love a cheese omelette with Heinz baked Beans

Look at 5 ingredient recipes. Jamie Oliver does a great cook book for this.

1 hour ago, summerseeker said:

Our weather here is really weird these days. Its July and its cold. So I have gone back to winter food. Today I am eating Corned beef hash. Its basically veg, potatoes and tinned corned beef. Start with the longest to cook. I add barley and lentils for extra Protein and roughage. Its simple, made in one pan or slow cooker.

Yesterday I had What I call finger food. Stuff I don't need a knife and fork for. I was really hungry and needed stuff super quick. I put on a plate, celery, cream cheese, grapes, prawns and a few cashews. It could also have different stuff for Protein, cheese, deli meats, crab sticks, mussels, pickled fish and anchovies.

I make the family lasagne. I cant stomach the Pasta so I make mine in small dishes with baked Aubergines instead for layers.

Omelettes are great, I love a cheese omelette with Heinz baked Beans

Look at 5 ingredient recipes. Jamie Oliver does a great cook book for this.

The finger food plate is a great idea. I love those foods. Idk why I don’t think of them outside of an appetizer for a get together. I had to google auberfines. I know them as eggplant. I have had them at restaurants and annoyed them but always shy away because I’m intimidated by preparing rhem. I guess I need to do some research because that sounds like a good alternative to zucchini lasagna. I have never thought of putting Beans into an omelette. It’s sounds different but I will give anything a try once. Thanks for the book suggestion. I should check and see what’s free on kindle unlimited as well. Idk why a whole book of recipes is overwhelming for me but when I come across one thing that sounds good I have the guts To try it. I’m an odd duck sometimes. lol.

I used to make something we called ’magic quiche’ which may be something you could make. Used to serve to the family so you may want to reduce ingredients sizes if you want to make something smaller.

4 - 6 good size servings - adjust recipe to suit

Large Onion

6 x Medium eggs,

4 x Low Fat Bacon Medallions

45g Mature Grated Cheddar

150ml Lighter Crème Fraîche or Cottage cheese

100g Tomatoes, sliced

100g White Mushrooms, Raw

salt/pepper/herbs of choice

1) grill bacon, roughly chop when cool

2) lightly fry onions in frylight spray or 1 tablespoon of Water until soft, add mushrooms and cook through

3) beat eggs and crème fraiche/cottage cheese together, add seasoning and herbs of choice

4) add bacon, onions, mushrooms to a large rectangular Pyrex/non-stick dish

5) pour on egg and crème fraiche/cottage cheese mix

6) arrange sliced tomatoes on top, sprinkle on grated cheese

7) place in oven for approx 25 mins at 180 degrees (UK temps) until nicely brown

😎 slice in to 4/6/whatever portions when cool

9) keeps well for 3 days or so in a sealed container in the fridge, wouldn’t recommend freezing

You can add whatever veggies you like eg peppers, broccoli etc, add ham or chicken in place of or in addition to bacon.

37 minutes ago, MrsFitz said:

I used to make something we called ’magic quiche’ which may be something you could make. Used to serve to the family so you may want to reduce ingredients sizes if you want to make something smaller.

4 - 6 good size servings - adjust recipe to suit

Large Onion

6 x Medium eggs,

4 x Low Fat Bacon Medallions

45g Mature Grated Cheddar

150ml Lighter Crème Fraîche or Cottage cheese

100g Tomatoes, sliced

100g White Mushrooms, Raw

salt/pepper/herbs of choice

1) grill bacon, roughly chop when cool

2) lightly fry onions in frylight spray or 1 tablespoon of Water until soft, add mushrooms and cook through

3) beat eggs and crème fraiche/cottage cheese together, add seasoning and herbs of choice

4) add bacon, onions, mushrooms to a large rectangular Pyrex/non-stick dish

5) pour on egg and crème fraiche/cottage cheese mix

6) arrange sliced tomatoes on top, sprinkle on grated cheese

7) place in oven for approx 25 mins at 180 degrees (UK temps) until nicely brown

😎 slice in to 4/6/whatever portions when cool

9) keeps well for 3 days or so in a sealed container in the fridge, wouldn’t recommend freezing

You can add whatever veggies you like eg peppers, broccoli etc, add ham or chicken in place of or in addition to bacon.

Sans the mushroom this sounds delish. I will definitely try it. Thanks.

If something can't be eaten fresh/as is or cooked in my slow cooker I tend to avoid.

I use my slow cooker for just about everything though I do make a delicious bread/cake from cottage cheese and bananas.

1 minute ago, FifiLux said:

If something can't be eaten fresh/as is or cooked in my slow cooker I tend to avoid.

I use my slow cooker for just about everything though I do make a delicious bread/cake from cottage cheese and bananas.

That cake sounds interesting. You should share it here or in the recipe thread. I have seen tortillas made with cottage cheese and cheddar cheese but never bread.

I used this = https://rachlmansfield.com/cottage-cheese-banana-bread/#jump-to-recipe

I made 'flour' by blending almonds, used agave instead of maple Syrup and added in some chocolate chips. I got 18 servings out of it.

I love the bread and I HATE cheese. I had not had cheese in about 30 years but kept seeing online about cottage cheese being used in so many ways now and how you can't taste it so I gave it a chance and made the bread, plus a chocolate cheese mousse that was on the same site. Safe to say I am an convert now and actually bought a bread baking tin, plus more cheese today.

2 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

I had to google auberfines. I know them as eggplant. I have had them at restaurants and annoyed them but always shy away because I’m intimidated by preparing rhem. I guess I need to do some research because that sounds like a good alternative to zucchini lasagna

Sorry I forget people don't live in my small town and I chatter away on here like I am. I slice the egg plants about half inch [ 2 cms] thick. . Squirt the oven tin with low cal spray oil, put the slices of eggplant on it. Squirt the top of the eggplant and add salt and pepper. Bake about 30 mins and turn half way through. You want them soft. My friend does hers in a air fryer a lot quicker.

2 minutes ago, FifiLux said:

I used this = https://rachlmansfield.com/cottage-cheese-banana-bread/#jump-to-recipe

I made 'flour' by blending almonds, used agave instead of maple Syrup and added in some chocolate chips. I got 18 servings out of it.

I love the bread and I HATE cheese. I had not had cheese in about 30 years but kept seeing online about cottage cheese being used in so many ways now and how you can't taste it so I gave it a chance and made the bread, plus a chocolate cheese mousse that was on the same site. Safe to say I am an convert now and actually bought a bread baking tin, plus more cheese today.

Cool. Looks yummy. Thanks.

The eggplant lasagne is really just a moussaka. Traditionally lamb mince is used but you can use beef. And use cinnamon & all spice instead of Italian herbs like basil. This is a pretty simple recipe for it: https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/classic-moussaka/88513a78-4b3d-4546-b985-32f4c33382a7#

I’m not a great lover of eggplant but the small ones are usually tastier as a side than the large ones but the large ones are best for cooking in things like the moussaka.

You can also make the magic quiche (or frittata) as muffins (often called savoury egg muffins or just egg muffins). Some recipes say use 6 eggs but I used 10 so that was almost one egg in every muffin. Great to freeze too. I used to make them a lot (until my tummy said nope I don’t like eggs now) with caramelised onions, roasted capsicum, feta, cherry tomatoes, frozen mixed vegetables (defrosted & patted dry) or whatever I happened to have in my fridge.

Edited by Arabesque

17 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

The eggplant lasagne is really just a moussaka. Traditionally lamb mince is used but you can use beef. And use cinnamon & all spice instead of Italian herbs like basil. This is a pretty simple recipe for it: https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/classic-moussaka/88513a78-4b3d-4546-b985-32f4c33382a7#

I’m not a great lover of eggplant but the small ones are usually tastier as a side than the large ones but the large ones are best for cooking in things like the moussaka.

You can also make the magic quiche (or frittata) as muffins (often called savoury egg muffins or just egg muffins). Some recipes say use 6 eggs but I used 10 so that was almost one egg in every muffin. Great to freeze too. I used to make them a lot (until my tummy said nope I don’t like eggs now) with caramelised onions, roasted capsicum, feta, cherry tomatoes, frozen mixed vegetables (defrosted & patted dry) or whatever I happened to have in my fridge.

I didn’t realize you could freeze anything with eggs . That will make it way easier. I have a recipe somewhere for a single frittata that I had to buy a mini cast Iron skillet to make it would love to make several one weekend and freeze them so I can pop them out when im in the mood. Do you just put them in freezer bags? Then when you pull them out is it better to thaW in fridge or heat from frozen?

Edited by ShoppGirl