Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay so I know that one of the side effects of surgery is gas and stinky bowel movements but my dr said that I would need to be near a bathroom. I figured most places I go have a bathroom so I didn’t think much of that until now fhat I am having doubts. Does he mean that I can’t do things like go on road trips or go to theme parks where I may not be able to get into a bathroom at a moments notice? Is it that bad?? What is the problem, exacrly? Do you just have to go more often or is it little to no warning?? I absolutely hate going number two in public restrooms so I know that this is going to be an adjustment for me but I don’t want it to limit my life.

Posted (edited)

I'm impress about how much I'm peeing after I wake up from surgery to 3 weeks after surgery, I pee more than I drink, seems all carbs in my body is used first so I can lose a pound every 1-2 days which impossible using fat burning. After 3 weeks you will feel thirst and pee much less. You will have plateau in 3-10 days, don't be panic, your body need to restore Water but not the carbs. So, I advice you to not doing any road trip for the first 3 weeks, except in vehicle that have toilet, Dr. Pilcher says more detail information on this

Edited by Nabih_bawazir

8 minutes ago, Nabih_bawazir said:

I'm impress about how much I'm peeing after I wake up from surgery to 3 weeks after surgery, I pee more than I drink, seems all carbs in my body is used first so I can lose a pound every 1-2 days which impossible using fat burning. After 3 weeks you will feel thirst and pee much less. You will have plateau in 3-10 days, don't be panic, your body need to restore Water but not the carbs. So, I advice you to not doing any road trip for the first 3 weeks, except in vehicle that have toilet, Dr. Pilcher says more detail information on this

Did you have the Sadi or the Ds? I am of course concerned about peeing too but I am more concerned with the other bathroom issues that often come with those particular surgeries.

6 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

Did you have the Sadi or the Ds?  I am of course concerned about peeing too but I am more concerned with the other bathroom issues that often come with those particular surgeries.

I did my VSG 3 months ago

I haven't had DS, but from what I've read and heard, the bad ones are usually in the morning. I've also read that eating certain carbs can make it worse for DS'ers. Hopefully someone who's actually had DS will respond.

I believe that with bariatric surgery, excluding the lap band, everyone's stools smell a lot worse. I originally had the mini gastric bypass and honestly, when sat on the toilet passing stools, I'd almost pass out from the smell, it was that nauseating. Nothing ever reduced the smell, even dietary changes. These procedures are very powerful and alter the digestive anatomy.

With the sleeve, the need to go and gas isn’t nearly as much as with the TDS bc your insides haven’t been changed like that. It is only a large reduction in the size of your stomach.

27 minutes ago, Postop said:

With the sleeve, the need to go and gas isn’t nearly as much as with the TDS bc your insides haven’t been changed like that. It is only a large reduction in the size of your stomach.

I think my ticker may be confusing you. I had the sleeve 3.5 years ago but I am pending a revision to the SADI. Thanks for your response though I guess now that I hade a surgery date and I have decided on a surgery it’s time to update that info

Thanks for your response though.

On 6/26/2024 at 1:27 AM, ShoppGirl said:

Okay so I know that one of the side effects of surgery is gas and stinky bowel movements but my dr said that I would need to be near a bathroom. I figured most places I go have a bathroom so I didn’t think much of that until now fhat I am having doubts. Does he mean that I can’t do things like go on road trips or go to theme parks where I may not be able to get into a bathroom at a moments notice? Is it that bad?? What is the problem, exacrly? Do you just have to go more often or is it little to no warning?? I absolutely hate going number two in public restrooms so I know that this is going to be an adjustment for me but I don’t want it to limit my life.

You’re right, I took the question re: bathroom issues with the sleeve only.

In the beginning, the urge to go is generally stronger and the need for a bathroom is quick. As time goes on, most of us can hold it quite a bit longer.

On a road trip, rest stops are usually every hour or so, so as time goes on you will most likely be able to wait unless you ate something very fatty or with sugar/simple carbs. Then all bets are off, which is why I pretty much only eat that at home.

You are definitely going to need to deal with “going” in a public bathroom. I use this (see below). I spray upwards in my stall as I begin to “go” and then spray a couple of more times as I’m finishing.

orange only

With sleeve, I don't think there is a real issue when it comes to foul smelling stools. But with mini gastric bypass and sadi etc, it's off the charts.

Hmm, I don’t like purée anything so I stayed in liquids stage a full 4 weeks. As long as I was on liquids, the BMs were liquid too and would announce themselves with surprise. I got regular and less liquidy with more solid foods and the introduction of magnesium and Probiotics at night. My son says the RNY caused me to make the paint peel in the bathroom, (mom eye roll here)There seems to be more unpredictability for relatives and friends with Crohn’s or cancer. I wonder if it’s because of sections removed lower on the intestines? DS and RNY seems to effect the first part of the small intestine.

30 minutes ago, learn2cook said:

Hmm, I don’t like purée anything so I stayed in liquids stage a full 4 weeks. As long as I was on liquids, the BMs were liquid too and would announce themselves with surprise. I got regular and less liquidy with more solid foods and the introduction of magnesium and Probiotics at night. My son says the RNY caused me to make the paint peel in the bathroom, (mom eye roll here)There seems to be more unpredictability for relatives and friends with Crohn’s or cancer. I wonder if it’s because of sections removed lower on the intestines? DS and RNY seems to effect the first part of the small intestine.

Lol. Sounds like something a son would say to their mom. A friend of mine told me about a product called pou pouri that they use at her work since they only have one small bathroom for everyone. I found it on Walmarts website but they have it elsewhere. A pack of three small ones for ten bucks. They sell bigger ones too but I am most concerned for when I am away from home so the smaller size is good for me. They have a pretty comical animation on the manufacturer website that demonstrates that it puts a barrier on the top of the Water that somehow blocks the smell and makes it smell like flowers. Anyways, she hasn’t had any bariatric surgery but claims it helps a pretty good deal for their situation so I’m going to give it a shot.

On 6/25/2024 at 10:27 PM, ShoppGirl said:

I recommend Poo-pouri. Spray before you go and it forms a film on the Water helping to keep the smell contained under it! I've used it for years (we also have septic if this is a concern). I have one in each bathroom and one in my purse/backpack! It works well. I'm not a fan of the lemongrass scent (they all have it as the underlying scent) but its certainly better than bariatric blow out smell! 🤦💩

32 minutes ago, BlondePatriotInCDA said:

I recommend Poo-pouri. Spray before you go and it forms a film on the Water helping to keep the smell contained under it! I've used it for years (we also have septic if this is a concern). I have one in each bathroom and one in my purse/backpack! It works well. I'm not a fan of the lemongrass scent (they all have it as the underlying scent) but its certainly better than bariatric blow out smell! 🤦💩

Thanks. My friend was just telling me about This product the other day as Well and I have it in my Walmart cart for my next order already. She hasn’t had the surgery though so good to hear the recommendation from someone who has. I have a zillion things that are running through my mind causing anxiety as this surgery date gets closer and the bathroom stuff is a biggie for me. I absolutely hate using public restrooms already when I have to do more than just pee and the thought of not being able to help but go in public and having it smell really bad is a pretty unpleasant one. I’m sure like everything else I will get over it once I’m forced to but it’s one of the things that keeps popping up that is unsettling.