Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A much better week than last week with a 7.5lb loss to show for it 😊 16.5lbs lost so far on this ‘try to eat healthier’ plan I have begun. It would be lovely to think that I could carry on like this, just losing weight quite happily and give the WLS a swerve but past history tells me that I will eventually pile weight back on (and more) so why set myself up for failure? I also know that I have a stall coming up, sometime between week 3 and week 7 if past experience is anything to go by. I just tell myself that it’s my body having a sulk because I’ve taken its goodies away, so it’s try to get me to give in by being stubborn. Huh…I have a 4 year old granddaughter who is the epitome of stubborn at times and if I can deal with her then this should hopefully be OK 😉

I had hubby take photos after my 1 stone loss, just so I can compare against the 1st photos. Oddly enough, I could see a teeny bit of difference, so that was a real positive sign. I’m looking forward to ‘shopping in my wardrobe’ once again - trying on all those clothes that are too small for me at present, and just generally getting some wear out of them. I just need to remind myself to try things on regularly, especially as I seem to have several sizes to go at!

I read through all the information on my hospitals Bariatric area of their website yesterday, things like dietary advice, example menus, info regarding Vitamins etc. From what I have read, it will be a couple of days of liquids, then 6 weeks of purée post-op before moving on to mashed foods for 4 weeks and then hopefully reintroducing normal foods. I now understand why bread, over-cooked rice and Pasta are to be avoided but still not sure about caffeine? I am a tea junky so I will have to find a decent Decaf to try. Any recommendations UK people?

Anyway, the next couple of months are busy, taken up with both physio appointments and, much more excitingly, the bariatric-related appointments. This week is Oximetry so hopefully that goes well.

I hope everyone has a fantastic week. Onwards and downwards!

Congratulations on your loss so far!

On the topic of tea - I know that everyone gets different recommendations, but I was told to either have weak or Decaf tea in the first 3 weeks, and then after that I was okay! I have been having tea and coffee as normal now!

Yorkshire Tea is best though 😍

55 minutes ago, Bypass2Freedom said:

Congratulations on your loss so far!

On the topic of tea - I know that everyone gets different recommendations, but I was told to either have weak or Decaf tea in the first 3 weeks, and then after that I was okay! I have been having tea and coffee as normal now!

Yorkshire Tea is best though 😍

To quote the man himself “do it for Yorkshire” (love a bit of Sean Bean!)

That is SUCH good news regarding the tea! I hope my hospital has the same approach. I had read the Yorkshire Tea Decaf was actually the best and tasted like actual tea so I will get a little box and try it. I only ever drink coffee if I’m out so that’s not so much of a loss for me 😉

Well done on your loss too…how are you finding things post-op?

IMG_0530.jpeg

Congratulations on your loss. At least two of the reasons I have heard that some doctors seem to say steer clear of caffeine is because one it affects healing and two it makes you pee more which is counter productive if you are struggling to hydrate. There could be other reasons too but those are what I have heard.

Edited by ShoppGirl

8 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

Congratulations on your loss. At least two of the reasons I have heard that some doctors seem to say steer clear of caffeine is because one it affects healing and two it makes you pee more which is counter productive if you are struggling to hydrate. There could be other reasons too but those are what I have heard.

Thanks for that @ShoppGirl I just couldn’t find the relevant info. I can certainly understand why they would want you to avoid the diuretic effect but didn’t know about it affecting healing. Will just have to see what the hospital advises but hopefully tea wont be banned for too long!

I'm an American but I order Yorkshire Tea Decaf from Amazon because it is the absolute best! I'm normally a Yorkshire Gold girl, but I have followed the no caffeine rule since my pre-op diet. But I'm dragging in the mornings and going to switch back to regular tea as soon as my last box of decaf is done. I have no issues with hydration at this point, but being tired in the mornings makes me crave sugar, so I think caffeine is the lesser of two evils.

That's fantastic progress, congratulations on your 7.5lb loss this week! It's great to hear you're noticing positive changes and feeling motivated. The idea of "shopping in your wardrobe" sounds like a fun and rewarding way to track your progress. Best of luck with your upcoming appointments and navigating the dietary changes. For Decaf tea, Yorkshire Tea and PG Tips both do good decaf versions in the UK. Keep up the great work and stay positive—you're doing amazing! For natural supplements thenaturemeds is guarantee solution to all health problem.

Edited by shirmarsh

18 hours ago, MrsFitz said:

To quote the man himself “do it for Yorkshire” (love a bit of Sean Bean!)

That is SUCH good news regarding the tea! I hope my hospital has the same approach. I had read the Yorkshire Tea Decaf was actually the best and tasted like actual tea so I will get a little box and try it. I only ever drink coffee if I’m out so that’s not so much of a loss for me 😉

Well done on your loss too…how are you finding things post-op?

IMG_0530.jpeg

What a fine man he is, with great taste in tea! 😂

Like everyone says though, it can mean you get more dehydrated but I think so long as you aren't ONLY drinking tea, it should be fine haha. I think the Decaf isn't bad at all from what I can remember!

Thank you! I am finding it okay! I had a little bit of a stall, but that is expected! But I am just happy to be feeling better!

I googled And there are a few more reasons to stay away from caffeine and even Decaf to a certain extent. These include the acidity upsetting your new smaller tummy And it interfering with the absorption of certain Vitamins and nutrients. And again, there may be more. Just be certain that you are following your teams advise.

I think the reason why some programs steer clear of caffeine during recovery is the diuretic / dehydration issue and that most caffeinated drinks are also fairly acidic, which can be an irritant to your recovering stomach and lead to ulcers. Many people struggle to get the necessary amount of Fluid in at all, post recovery, and the caffeine could push you a little further into dehydration. My advice re: caffeine would be to play it by ear / discuss with your care team.

Not UK, but Canadian. I find most Decaf black tea to be pretty gross (with an abnormal bitter aftertaste), but decaf earl grey has been a godsend for me (ironic, because pre-surgery I couldn't stand regular earl grey lol). Brew Tea & M&S have been great.
(Also Taylors Yorkshire -- worth the import price here, lol)
((Honestly, I think the only decaf teas I've liked post-op have all been UK brands XD))

17 hours ago, JennyBeez said:

I think the reason why some programs steer clear of caffeine during recovery is the diuretic / dehydration issue and that most caffeinated drinks are also fairly acidic, which can be an irritant to your recovering stomach and lead to ulcers. Many people struggle to get the necessary amount of Fluid in at all, post recovery, and the caffeine could push you a little further into dehydration. My advice re: caffeine would be to play it by ear / discuss with your care team.

Not UK, but Canadian. I find most Decaf black tea to be pretty gross (with an abnormal bitter aftertaste), but Decaf earl grey has been a godsend for me (ironic, because pre-surgery I couldn't stand regular earl grey lol). Brew Tea & M&S have been great.
(Also Taylors Yorkshire -- worth the import price here, lol)
((Honestly, I think the only decaf teas I've liked post-op have all been UK brands XD))

Never been an earl grey kind of tea person, I’m more the ‘builders’ tea type person! Obviously I could be worrying over tea when in fact I could hate it post-surgery so trying any of it would then become a redundant issue 🙃