Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sparkling water/ carbonated drinks

My program allows both but hesitant about trying about three weeks post op.any experience ?

Do you mean it allows for it in general or already within your plan?

Everyone seems to be given different versions of plans as I was told minimum of three months to give the stomach time to heal before anything carbonated enters the system.

It’s allowed within my plan, both pre and post op as long as it’s non caffeinated but wanted to know others experience and if I should hold off

Posted (edited)

I was advised no soda, ever again but I know that I have heard of people letting it sit out and go mostly flat. Maybe try that first if anything. Honestly if it were me I would just wait a little longer. Three weeks seems pretty soon and when I googled it one site did mentions three months. Maybe best to just run it by your team to be safe. You have gone through too much to risk hurting yourself.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Yes definitely waiting - wonder how long when I can have it

my program told me no carbonated drinks ever again, but a lot of people's plans say they're OK once you're x number of months out. I think I started drinking them at about a year out, but super carbonated things irritate my stomach. I can drink mildly carbonated things. If something is too carbonated-y, I just let it sit for a while to flatten out - then I'm usually OK.

i was told never, but i started drinking it again anyway (i.e., perrier) around 2-3 months post op and never stopped.

im almost 6 yrs post now and i drink all the bubbles, not just perrier.

Also told no carbonated drinks. But I didn’t drink much anyway pre surgery as it stirred up my reflux (terrible hiccups, discomfort, etc.) & I wonder if that’s one of the reasons we’re told to avoid it - stirring up the stomach acid we overproduce in the beginning.

However, I did start drinking sparkling Water a couple of months out. I was finding still water sort of heavy & difficult to drink so I would let sparkling water go flat (would break the seal on a large bottle when I’d put it in the fridge) or at least let a lot of the bubbles reduce & drank a glass over several hours. I found the slightly mineral taste easier to tolerate. I still drank plain water just swapped out one glass of still water for a glass of sparkling.

I waited 10 months and then just had some sparking Water as part of a drink but not much fizz to it at all. No side effects but it was well diluted.

My doctor told me while it is ok in limited circumstances after a minimum of three months they don't really recommend it ever but if someone is really desperate they could have just a couple of sips, such as toasting with a glass of champagne, but not to introduce it into a regular habit or else it could lead to allowing more bad habits, in general, not aimed at me (I think/hope!).

I was told never again, and I've stuck to it. I was someone who could drink an entire 2 liter of soda per day. Then I switched to diet and thought that was better. Nope. Now I just stay away from all of it. No carbonation in any form, no soda, nothing. Just sugar free juice, sugar free flavored water, gatorade zero, Propel.