Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Posted (edited)

I am pending a revision surgery from sleeve to Sadi and the Dr did not mention the pre op diet at all. Then the lady comes in with the paperwork and said if he didn’t mention one then I should just do one or two days of liquids. She said she was gonna say two days for now and would let me know if it was one. Well I called and the girl at front desk said yes its Two days but I just have this nagging feeling she just looked at the paper where the other lady wrote two days and I’m not certain anyone asked the dr to make certain. Has anyone getting revision had A shorter pre Op diet Such as this I don’t want to do it if I don’t have to but I also want to make it easy for him to do it safely which I know is the point

Edited by ShoppGirl

not all surgeons require pre-op diets, but even those who don't will require a day or two of liquids only right before surgery so you don't have any food in your G/I tract.

I guess I should add that this is the same surgeon that did my sleeve just 3 years ago and I had a week long liver shrink diet before the two day liquid diet. I’m wondering if it’s different since the sleeve part is already done??

Not revision specific, but even in my (virgin) Sleeve & RNY group there were people in my pre-op program who got 2 days, 5 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, etc. Hopefully all surgeons decide on a case by case basis.

If in doubt, maybe reach back out to them again and ask if there's any risk to you doing a longer pre-op diet voluntarily?

I remember doing my first surgery, it was for 2 weeks. For my revision 5-7 days. Obviously, I chose 5 days lol I'm not sure why revisions seem to need less of a pre-op diet. But I remember seeing other people only need 48 or 72 hours of fasting before the surgery. I think it just depends on the surgeon and surgery.

Well I called again just to be safe. She looked up my BMI and said that the two days will be fine. I guess if three different people said it, even if it was not the dr himself, it should be right. I just get so anxious about medical stuff. I feel like they are so non chalant about things sometimes.

My dietician said I only needed to do 1 day because I had lost 30lbs pre-op and was eating what I was supposed to. She said if I didn't then we would have a different convo.

So I talked to another nutritionist today and she has only been working with my dr for 6 momths but was kind of surprised I wouldn’t have a liver shrink diet. I decided that I’m just going to do one week just to be safe. It will be one less thing for me to be anxious about if nothing else.

Of course she also didn’t know much about my surgery just like the other one. Total waste of money. But it satisfied the insirance requirement. 🤷🏼‍♀️

On 6/22/2024 at 2:40 PM, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

I remember doing my first surgery, it was for 2 weeks. For my revision 5-7 days. Obviously, I chose 5 days lol I'm not sure why revisions seem to need less of a pre-op diet. But I remember seeing other people only need 48 or 72 hours of fasting before the surgery. I think it just depends on the surgeon and surgery.

Less pre-op diet because in theory less food has been consumed due to having had a prior surgery reducing amount consumed AND less nutrients have been absorbed, doctors don't want their patients going through a major surgery in a weakened condition.

2 hours ago, BlondePatriotInCDA said:

Less pre-op diet because in theory less food has been consumed due to having had a prior surgery reducing amount consumed AND less nutrients have been absorbed, doctors don't want their patients going through a major surgery in a weakened condition.

That’s would make sense for many people getting revisions but I don’t think it applies to me. I am 15 pounds heavier now than when I started all of this the first time.