Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

where do i go from here?

i had my surgery in january 10, 2024

after catching covid and being hospitalized for a week the weight loss began

i was impressed. i was 280 lbs by march.

it just kept going down but then it stopped at 256 which it has been for a month now.

what can i do to make it start going down again? what can i eat for lunch and dinner? what foods should i cut out? i already cut out rice and potatoes despite being told its safe to eat.

all i got access to here is a pool, will swimming help?

Okay, so it's very common to have a stall, and they can last several weeks. It's not because of anything you're doing, and aside from just stopping to assess that you are still following your plan in a reasonable way, there's nothing you can do to change it.

Are you hitting your Protein goals? Getting your hydration? Eating on a regular schedule and prioritizing your protein and non-starchy veggies? Sticking to a reasonable portion size by using a small saucer or luncheon plate? Avoiding empty calories in the form of sugary drinks, simple carbs, and snacking or grazing? Getting some basic movement every day, like going for a walk or using resistance bands? If no to any of these, focus on changing that issue. If yes, try not to panic. You will likely start losing again soon, but possibly slower than before because that's just how it works.

In the meantime, take your measurements or try on some clothing to see if it fits differently. I recently had a month of very slow loss, just 2.8 lbs in 4 weeks with so much up and down. But my clothing fit differently and my measurements were getting smaller. All of a sudden, I lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks. I did nothing differently.

6 hours ago, cokey said:

i had my surgery in january 10, 2024

after catching covid and being hospitalized for a week the weight loss began

i was impressed. i was 280 lbs by march.

it just kept going down but then it stopped at 256 which it has been for a month now.

what can i do to make it start going down again? what can i eat for lunch and dinner? what foods should i cut out? i already cut out rice and potatoes despite being told its safe to eat.

all i got access to here is a pool, will swimming help?

My suggestion is to make sure you are tracking every bite, lick, and taste. Ensure you are hitting your Protein goals, Water goals, taking all your Vitamins. Also making sure you moving at least 30min 5-6 days a week. Swimming is great, walking is great, anything that you can fit into your day. You got this! remember this is life long, and the journey is never straight down unfortunately. Utilize this tool and take advantage of the first year as much as you can. You got this!!! P.S your doing AMAZING!

thank you amber.

today im down 2 lbs which is hella weird but progress is progress i guess

doing Protein Shakes for Breakfast and lunch then chicken breast and brocolli or spinach for dinner

when it stops raining i'll try to go swimming. i have to buy new trunks too cause my other trunks are way too large now. they used to be tight fit

26 minutes ago, cokey said:

thank you amber.

today im down 2 lbs which is hella weird but progress is progress i guess

doing Protein Shakes for Breakfast and lunch then chicken breast and brocolli or spinach for dinner

when it stops raining i'll try to go swimming. i have to buy new trunks too cause my other trunks are way too large now. they used to be tight fit

Well that alone is a HUGE NSV!! whoop whoop!! 2lbs down yasss!!! killing it!

How many calories are you eating? I had my surgery 1/24 I eat around 1000-1100 but I work out like crazy. I'm a bit coo coo LOL I started with walking on my lunches for 20min, worked up to 30min, now I still walk on my lunches for 30 min, go to the gym or work out at home, 30min weight lifting, and i take my pup for a run for 20-30min. Movement really helps!

Just giving you a run down of what I eat and you can take it or leave it lol but I wake up make my Protein coffee- Decaf cold brew with 2tbls of collagen and a café late Premier Protein shake (i know I know no caffeine allowed but I haven't had adverse effects) I make these crustless quiches for my bfast: eggs whites, spinach, 1 slice of ham (deli meat kind) top with thin sargento sharp cheddar cheese on top of it. I make like little mini loaves for the week, Lunches are always a protein and a veggie. One week I did Just Bare chicken bites and carrots lol- own little take on a Wing place- This week I am doing a bento box with grapes, strawberries, celery, cucumber, cracker or quinoa chips, turkey roll up with a laughing cow cheese and nuts. Snacks are a Greek yogurt. I weight and measure everything. Input everything into my netdiary tracking app and stick to it for the week.

I am not perfect at all, Ill come home and grab a popsicle or fruit and might go over my calories for the day, but hey this is a lifestyle change and this is life long. Its hard to remember that when we all have so much weight to lose and we want that immediate satisfaction, but we got this!

premire Protein Shake is what im drinking for bfast and lunch. im about to go grocery shopping so i can get some walking done

Sometimes stalls are just stalls, and there's not much you can do about them. Sometimes just changing things up a bit so you body has something new to get used to can also help jar you out.

I personally think of my stalls kind of like my body is a computer, and the stall is the time it takes the thing to reboot. Sometimes it's long, sometimes short. Sometimes uninstalling an older program and reinstalling an updated version will help your machine boot faster. If your body has gotten used to eating the same thing everyday, maybe try changing it up a little. For a week, maybe find a Protein Bar or a different source of Protein like greek yogurt for Breakfast. Replace your broccoli with green Beans or leafy greens, or try a different dinner protein for a while.

As for exercise, I agree -- any exercise is good exercise. If you've got access to a pool, swimming can act as both cardio and muscle strengthening. There are also Water exercises you can find online that can target certain areas -- look up water aerobics or aquafitness on youtube if you need some ideas. I go to a local community pool twice a week for drop-in aquatics specifically tailored to be a sort of aquatic physio session, but there's lots of options out there to suit a variety of needs.

(Also, look at your numbers so far -- they're absolutely great! No matter how long this stall lasts, you've already been kicking ass. ^_^)

40 minutes ago, JennyBeez said:

(Also, look at your numbers so far -- they're absolutely great! No matter how long this stall lasts, you've already been kicking ass. ^_^)

i am stunned over it. i went to the hospital for back pain after i met my surgeon. i was weighed at 379 lbs.

not even 1 year later i am at 254 lbs. last time i was at this weight was when i was 23 in 2006

i got some swim trunks that are 3xl and they dont fit me anymore. they used to be hella tight on me.

IMG_20240620_120148.jpg

my weight dropped down since. i guess this was just another slump