Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Happy Monday everyone!

I just wanted to start a post to just check-in and see how everyone is doing, regardless of what stage we are at, pre or post surgery :)

I feel that after complaining that I wasn't feeling full, now that I am on proper food, I am feeling it, and boy is it a struggle 😂

On the plus side, I feel a lot better in myself already, and I am going to go back to the gym! Just body weight stuff and light cardio to begin with, and maybe 2-3 times a week. I notice that I am getting dizzy spells lately, probably due to struggling with eating much, so I will be mindful of that!

I've had some people comment on my weight loss already - which admittedly was quite nice - they were friends and I don't mind hearing it from them, but they were just proud of me regardless, which made me feel quite good.

I hope everyone is doing well ❤️

Oof, I'm still on cardio and working in light resistance training with bands (no weights yet). I keep re-straining my abdomen just doing simple things like twisting slightly when bending to get something out of a drawer at my desk, so my team has cautioned me not to start any actual weights until that pain leaves and stays gone for at least a week. :S

My Monday is doing pretty good, but my weekend was awful (hormones, heightened body dysmorphia, heightened reaction to thinning Patches of hair). This morning though, I found one of my matte eyeshadows is just the right colour to hide the most noticeable thin patch at my temple; I lost more weight this week than last even while fighting menstrual hormones and emotions; and several regular customers have complimented me this morning about both my hair and weightloss so even if I can't look at myself in the mirror without anguish, at least I'm getting some external confirmation that a lot of it is in my head.

(@Bypass2Freedom I hope you're keeping an eye on your blood pressure too! After losing as much weight as you have already, it's not abnormal for blood pressure to lower even if it wasn't an active problem for you pre-op. Just make sure you stand up / raise your torso & head slowly after you've been exercising for a while)

@JennyBeez

That is definitely the right way to go with it! I am so used to doing weights when I am at the gym, so it will be really weird going in and focusing on cardio (which I bloody hate), and body weight! What kinds of light exercises do you do? Definitely take it easy lovely!

I am sorry to hear that your weekend wasn't great - sometimes everything comes all at once doesn't it? We are our own worst critics, and definitely see things 10000x worse on ourselves, as others may perceive them. Just make sure to get some self-care time in and remind yourself of how far you have already come ❤️ You got this x

I haven't even had an appointment with my Dr yet - I don't think I am due to until 3 months post-op! But I did use my mum's blood pressure machine yesterday and it was ever so slightly high which is strange! I will be extra careful when standing for sure - and even more so when exercising, I don't want to pass out 😅

Right now, I'm back to walking/stairs and some aquafitness twice a week. I bought a recumbent bike and it was awesome for a week but because of the body positioning, I've been told to lay off until I stop straining this one particular area lol. And some light stretching with a resistance band that avoids my core as much as possible -- I mean, I can't avoid it completely because everything's connected but I focus on arms and legs until I feel my core start to open up / stretch gently out and call it quits while I'm ahead. XD

It's good to establish a 'new normal' for yourself in terms of blood pressure, so I'd suggest using your mum's machine a couple times a week just to get a new baseline. I've been lucky/unlucky that my post-op care-team, my personal PCP/GP and my endocrinologist have all been scheduling follow ups and tests for me with just enough of a gap that I feel like I've been seeing someone every 2-3 weeks -- and my official 3mo follow-up is in another week. (Even my local pharmacist is great, and prods me to use their blood pressure machine whenever I'm in to pick up prescriptions, questions how I'm reacting to such-and-such.)

Hormones were definitely kicking my rear all last week, concentrating all my normal-level reactions into heightened states. Less than fun, I've had better weeks but eh. ^_^

Happy Monday! I'm approaching my 4-month post-op mark at the end of this week and happy to say the long stall I had in month 3 is behind me and I'm back to losing at a good clip. I had been worried that it would be a permanent slow-down, but it wasn't. This morning, I hit 60lbs lost since my highest weight, which was almost exactly a year ago when I went back to my weight management team after a long absence and seriously discussed entering the surgical program.

I'm going through a patch right now where food is just not at all appealing. Maybe it's the start of the hot summer weather, or just the fact that cooking and eating such small quantities is tedious. I don't know. But nothing sounds appealing and I get a few bites into a meal and really don't care if I finish eating it or not. No real hunger, and the head hunger from the beginning has quieted down, too. At least hydration is going well.

I ordered a swimsuit online for an upcoming trip to the waterpark with my kids and tried it on yesterday, size 16 US. It fit! It even looks reasonably good! I'm finally down to a weight I legitimately haven't seen in half a lifetime, and I can finally see the difference more. In the early days, I think I still had a memory of being the weight I was before, like I never fully recognized getting bigger, so losing that weight was just bringing me in line with what I believed I had looked like all along, if that makes sense. But now, at 15 pounds less than the very lowest I had ever managed to get with nutrition and exercise alone, I find myself surprised to realize my silhouette has changed and that I'm looking smaller, or that I can easily sit in a seat at a theater or a booth at a restaurant. 6 more pounds and I will be "overweight" instead of "obese" for the first time in about 25 years!

The big challenge coming up is family vacation. We're doing Water parks and amusement parks, and the food choices are sure to be dismal. I have no desire to eat the junk food, so my bigger concern is really that I won't get in enough healthy foods over the week. Especially fruits and veg. It's so hard to get healthy food when you travel, and I still get enough issues with my stomach that I've bought some discreet vomit bags to keep with me in case something doesn't agree with my tummy on the road.

Posted (edited)

Well done @Bypass2Freedom @JennyBeez and @NickelChipon your successes so far. I am watching all your journeys with interest 🙃

I’m SO looking forward to getting back to the gym. I find it a massive boost to my mental wellbeing as well as my fitness. Great tip re checking blood pressure, I never even thought of that. I hope your hormones settle down for you Jenny, they can be impossible to deal with at time!

Embrace all your wins - weight loss, different foods, exercises, swimsuits 🏆

Edited by MrsFitz

5 minutes ago, NickelChip said:

The big challenge coming up is family vacation. We're doing Water parks and amusement parks, and the food choices are sure to be dismal. I have no desire to eat the junk food, so my bigger concern is really that I won't get in enough healthy foods over the week. Especially fruits and veg. It's so hard to get healthy food when you travel, and I still get enough issues with my stomach that I've bought some discreet vomit bags to keep with me in case something doesn't agree with my tummy on the road.

Can you sneak some Protein Bars or packets of roasted edamame or something in your bag, just to make sure you've got some healthier Protein options -- just in case you find there's not much there to suit you? Or even keep some low sodium V8 juice in your hotel room -- even if it just makes you feel better about having had 'A Vegetable' at the end of the day. I know a lot of places don't 'allow' outside food but as a recent surgery patient maybe they'll give you more lenience (or maybe they can be tucked under a towel lol).

Hahaha YES! I've taken to stashing vanilla-scented dog waste bags in my purse in case of a tummy-temper-tantrum. XD

4 minutes ago, JennyBeez said:

Can you sneak some Protein Bars or packets of roasted edamame or something in your bag, just to make sure you've got some healthier Protein options -- just in case you find there's not much there to suit you?

That's what I was planning, and as much as I despise them at this point, I'll bring some single-serve Protein Shake packets, too. Those are easy to mix in a water bottle and carry along.

Happy Monday!!! Just walked 4 miles total to our local lake and back and then work on my arms with light weights and resistance bands. I have my 6 week post op appt for my hysterectomy today and then I finally get to go back to work tomorrow!!! So excited. I've been bored out of my mind being home the last 6 weeks lol

I can speak to the blood pressure getting a lot lower the more weight we lose. I use to be on blood pressure meds that kind of controlled it, and now my average bp is 105/60 lol So crazy.

Happyyyyyy Monday!!!! Yesterday I ran 2.5miles with my pup and that was a HUGE NSV for me! I have been working up to it, but kinda of a weird weekend. It was such a busy weekend so I grazed a bit instead of sitting down and eating a full meal. so that annoyed me that I did that when its not my typical eating habits. Other than that, so far so good!

@JennyBeez That sounds like a really good routine and as if it is something you genuinely enjoy, which is always good! I am going to look to get a gym membership tomorrow (I hope), but I just need to find somewhere that isn't so busy that you can't get on any machines! I imagine I will probably have to end up going early in the morning or late at night!

I'll definitely keep using it - my mum will get sick of me asking eventually haha! It is so good you have such a pro-active team though, keeps us in line :P

I feel you on that one ❤️ I had my first period in years! and it kicked my ass for sure!

Posted (edited)

@NickelChip I am so glad to hear your stall has broken and you are back on the track you want to be on! :) That is such an amazing loss, well done - I bet you are over the moon!

I empathise with this! I think the changes in weather have lots to do with it, I find myself eating more salad than anything at the moment! Good news on the hydration though!

So happy to hear of all your wins, it really is inspirational! I hope you have the best time on your family vacation ❤️

Edited by Bypass2Freedom
taking out quote

@SleeveToBypass2023 That is an awesome work-out! And I can't imagine how excited you must be to get back into your routine after being stuck at home, I am sure you will have the best time!

Ughhh I think I will probably have to book in to see my GP if it continues being low/high! It is so irritating haha.

@AmberFL Congratulations on your NSV, it is certainly a massive one! Really impressive :) I am glad your week got off to a good start

Posted (edited)

well this is a fun little thread...kinda like those "Rose and Thorn" ice breakers you do in a group setting lol.

its' Tuesday now, but i can reflect about Monday!

These things were cool: went to a BBQ hosted by my in-laws and spent the afternoon lounging and chatting in the shade in their backyard eating an entire lobster to myself for a few hours....i had to open and clean it myself so it took a while, ha! ended up with maybe a cup max of lobster insides but it was sooooo yum. and the work i had to put in to get it all out added to the deliciousness.

Afterwards went rock climbing with Mr. for an hour, and then drove around aimlessly cuz it was such an nice night.

These things were a drag: had to miss my hot yoga class cuz of the aforementioned BBQ; had a bad reflux episode monday night, that i can't determine the cause of. which is annoying because i hate unexplained things.

Edited by ms.sss