Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling all hair gods! And hormonal acne

Hey all, does anyone have any tips on the regrowth? I had my surgery 16 months again and it feels like it's taking forever to be healthy again and to grow. It looks brittle and thin with some breakage. I know I need to up my Protein and Water, has anyone taken anything to help it? I'm taking collagen, but I don't think it's helping anymore. I have different lengths closest to my hairline. Part of it I believe is from the surgery and the other part I know it's from Lightening my fringe in August.

Now the hormonal acne. Wow, that started in January. I've never had this bad of acne before and it's pretty painful. It'll come, stay like a week one or two will go away and come back and repeat the process. Annoying. I know the hormones change after surgery, but I wasn't expecting hormonal acne 😄

Get your Protein up to your recommended intake. That should always be your focus. Then ensure you reach those fluid goals.

Are you having regular blood work taken? Is that indicating you are lacking in anything?

Actually there aren’t any rigorous scientific research into the benefits of collagen on Hair growth or strength. The studies that exist are funded by companies that produce collagen supplements. Best to get all your protein in so you’re getting all the complete amino acids your body needs not the few in collagen. hair is made of keratin, not collagen, and you need the complete range of amino acids (protein) for your body to produce the necessary keratin.

The different lengths of your new growth hair could just be from the different times it starts coming in (it doesn’t all grow in at the same time). But maybe give the bleach a rest for a while until things settle.

Have a chat with your doctor &/or maybe a dermatologist to check your scalp & hair health. Has your hairdresser said anything?

I can suggest Biotin, and maybe try Nutrafol, but honestly, the best thing is Protein, PROTEIN, PROTEIN. Your hair needs it to grow but can't produce it. Also, try doing what I did. I know for some people this is an emotional thing, but honestly, get your hair cut. My hair was long, brittle, split ends galore, dry. It was down to by breasts. I got it cut to where it just touches the tops of my shoulders and not only did my natural waves come back, but my hair looks fuller, healthier, and no more split ends. Here's a before and after, for reference:

1.jpg

2.jpg

I've heard / read that the dead parts died during the trauma of surgery, and it was only a matter of time for them to fall out. All we can really do is take care of the new growth --- aka protein-protein-protein, fluids, taking the post-op supplements & Vitamins, being gentle on your hair, etc. My hairdresser suggested moisturizing shampoo/conditioner, said to stay away from most volumizing treatments as most of them work by drying out your hair which could make it more brittle.

(She also said that most hairstyling products -- gels, hair sprays, mousse -- are going to do the same thing and if I could just bear with it while my hair is looking thin and limp, it'll be much healthier for the new growth to avoid those products until my body has re-regulated itself. That said, I'm early into my Hair loss / thinning and it sounds like timing-wise you're coming out of it -- so maybe not a problem for you.)

I had my surgery about 10 months ago and started losing my hair 6 months post-op. My hair was thick and curly and now its thin and the curl is not like it used to be. I started taking Biotin, I'm using the OGX biotin and collagen Shampoo and conditioner and now my husband got me the Spoiled Child biotin hair boost spray. I have baby hairs that have definitely grown in the last month, so maybe something is helping! I couldn't believe the amount of hair that came out in the beginning!! Thank god that only lasted about a month because I was scared I was going to have bald patches! For now I wear my hair up in a bun because I hate the way it looks when it is down.

I haven't lightened my hair since August due to the fact that I ended up damaging it and I don't want to use lightened anymore until my hair is healthy again. I only use a semi permanent color which won't damage because there's no developer in it.

I dont go to the salon. I have my license so I do my own hair. I know our hair is made up of Protein (keratin).

I know my problem is not getting that protein in. Why do I struggle with it so much?

The collagen I take has Biotin in it. I just wanted to know if there was something along with protein that would help.

I take my vitamins.every day. Nothing came up in blood work saying I was lacking anything. I had blood work done in february and last month. Both came back good.

I did cut off a good amount of my hair back in April I think it was. It was about 2 and a half to 3 inches.

I also keep my hair up in a bun cause I don't like the way it looks down lol. I like it out of my face too tho

I have been using Nioxin Stage 3, I do a bayalge with blond every 3 ish months and I will say using the Shampoo, conditioner and scalp treatment REALLY REALLY helped! I also put a Rosemary oil in my hair the night before hair wash day (I only wash my hair 2x a week) My shedding IS SIGNIFIGANTLY less. I also use 2 TBLS of collagen in my profee every morning along and Biotin with my morning Vitamins.