Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any tips for maintaining weight? It's not going well over here....

Sigh.....I need to figure out how to maintain and not lose more weight. Wanted to stop at 190....but now I can't figure out how to stop losing!!!! Never in a million years did I think I would ever have this problem.

I can't add more carbs because I'm SUPER sensitive to them and too many make me REALLY sick. I tried adding more calories, but because I work out 4-5 days per week, it's actually causing me to lose still. So weird.

I tried eating more small meals and Snacks more often, but honestly, I already have 3 meals and 2 snacks per day, and eating more just makes me sick to my stomach because I'm trying to force myself to eat when I'm not hungry.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I know my secret goal was 180, but I actually like how I look and feel at 190, so I'm not really looking to go lower. Yet here I am....going lower.....

448260660_462629063019831_3935395373794479985_n.jpg

I have a feeling if your body is happy and healthy at 190, you will eventually end up at 190. But you may need to go lower first before you bounce back up. Or you may go lower and change your mind about where you want to end up. Maybe just focus on eating healthy foods, doing your usual exercises, and how you feel physically with health and energy right now instead of worrying about the number on the scale for the next few months? A lot of this last stage is just temporary transition that you have to let yourself get through to reach the final stopping point, wherever that happens to be for you, and I'm not sure it's all that easy to control, like flipping a start or stop switch. You'll end up in a good place eventually!

Posted (edited)

i say just keep doing what you are doing, if it feels good and natural to you. i can almost guarantee you that you will NOT wither away and die. so long as you are not in any danger zones (based on labs and your doc's opinion), then you should be golden. just ride the ride and see where you end up. you will most likely gain a bit after you hit bottom, so a cushion is always good.

the fear of losing too much weight is a very, very common feeling in our demographic. very, very few actually prove that their worries were warranted long term. i've only known of exactly 1 person (if any!) on this forum for the almost 6 years i've been on here that had an almost-serious issue with ongoing weight loss..but i suspect it was mostly mental vs. physical.

i myself had a mini panic for a month or so after reaching goal. and like everyone else, it eventually became a non-issue. i weigh less now that at that time when i was panicking, and in no way do i think i am too skinny today...nor do the people who told me i was waaaaaay to skinny at 127 lbs. now they tell me i'm super hot at 118 lbs. 🤷🏻‍♀️

good luck!

Edited by ms.sss

Thank you both so much!!! I really appreciate the input :)

Left field suggestion - now that you're where you want to be, would it be possible for you to completely stop weighing yourself for a few months and just go by how your clothes feel, etc.?

I am a huge believer in our body choosing its own new set weight. Mine was well below my target. Others' are well above. You could just go with the flow - just keep eating what you like and what is good for you and see where you end up?

35 minutes ago, Spinoza said:

Left field suggestion - now that you're where you want to be, would it be possible for you to completely stop weighing yourself for a few months and just go by how your clothes feel, etc.?

I am a huge believer in our body choosing its own new set weight. Mine was well below my target. Others' are well above. You could just go with the flow - just keep eating what you like and what is good for you and see where you end up?

I thought about that. I just worry I'll start looking too skinny an sickly. That happens if my weight goes too low. Maybe I'll go 2 weeks and then weigh and see what it looks like.

Posted (edited)

I'd personally let it continue. Most of us have a rebound gain after we hit bottom - 10-20 lbs is pretty common, usually during year 3. Some people even gain more. I purposely went below my goal to account for it, and I'm really glad I did, because yep - I put on 20 lbs during year 3 (have put on about 10 more since then, which I am NOT happy about...)

and yep - I looked way too skinny at my lowest weight (esp in my face), but my fat shifted around after awhile and I looked much better. Then the gain started...I sure as heck don't look too skinny now!

Edited by catwoman7

1 hour ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

just worry I'll start looking too skinny an sickly.

With almost everyone I've encountered who lost a lot of weight rapidly and may have looked "too thin" for a while, it's a temporary thing, just until the body has the chance to shift fat around to different places and even everything out, which it doesn't necessarily do during the weight loss phase. Plus, it's an initial shock when you're used to seeing someone (including yourself in the mirror) look one way and now they are very different and it's jarring. I know within a year at the most after my brother had VSG and went from 300+ lbs to around 150 lbs (which was very skinny because he's 6ft tall), his appearance went from shockingly skinny to totally normal and healthy, even though his weight didn't go up during that time. Within another year after that, he'd gained several pounds and was at a weight he maintained for several years after that. It was all just part of the process.

Thank you!!! I guess I'll just ride it out and see where it takes me. I honestly didn't think about the regain later on, so maybe it's not a bad thing if I go 10 or even 12 pounds below my goal weight. Thanks for the advice and suggestions!!! Much appreciated :)

I agree with the others, it’s too early to make calls about what your final stabilised weight may be. Don’t make decisions based on the number on the scales. It’s not uncommon for your weight to bounce about a little before it stabilises. Bounce back regain is real for many whether that be your body resettling or you making adjustments to complement your lifestyle.

And don’t forget your remaining weight resettles itself, even though the scales don’t move, so how you look now may not be how you look in a couple of months. I initially lost my curves and was sad about losing my hour glass shape. A few months on & there it was again - smaller ratios but there.

Body dysmorphia comes into play too: how we. See ourselves & how others see us. I thought I’d be too thin & gaunt if I got lower than my goal but here I am 11+kgs less and I’m far from gaunt or skeletal. And like @ms.sss, people who said I was too thin many kilograms more than I am now, think I look fine now and don’t say anything.

Remember your goal is not necessarily your body’s goal (new set point). Working out your maintenance isn’t always easy. It wasn’t for me. I was still adjusting to how much food I needed to eat & what I could actually physically eat & I was subconsciously ignoring where my body wanted to be.

Enjoy the ride and only worry if your surgeon and doctors aren’t happy.

8 hours ago, Arabesque said:

I agree with the others, it’s too early to make calls about what your final stabilised weight may be. Don’t make decisions based on the number on the scales. It’s not uncommon for your weight to bounce about a little before it stabilises. Bounce back regain is real for many whether that be your body resettling or you making adjustments to complement your lifestyle.

And don’t forget your remaining weight resettles itself, even though the scales don’t move, so how you look now may not be how you look in a couple of months. I initially lost my curves and was sad about losing my hour glass shape. A few months on & there it was again - smaller ratios but there.

Body dysmorphia comes into play too: how we. See ourselves & how others see us. I thought I’d be too thin & gaunt if I got lower than my goal but here I am 11+kgs less and I’m far from gaunt or skeletal. And like @ms.sss, people who said I was too thin many kilograms more than I am now, think I look fine now and don’t say anything.

Remember your goal is not necessarily your body’s goal (new set point). Working out your maintenance isn’t always easy. It wasn’t for me. I was still adjusting to how much food I needed to eat & what I could actually physically eat & I was subconsciously ignoring where my body wanted to be.

Enjoy the ride and only worry if your surgeon and doctors aren’t happy.

As always, you say exactly what needs to be heard. Thank you :) Yes, I've been struggling with body dysmorphia for a while now. I was having a hard time not seeing 421 pound me, even as I hit goal after goal. Now, I see stick thin, too skinny me. It's like a never ending roller coaster that I can't get off of. But I'm going to wait 2 weeks, then weigh myself again and see where I'm at. And I'm going to pay close attention to how I feel, how I look in my clothes, and how they fit me. Thanks again for everything you said.