Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Share your favorite air fryer and instant pot recipes!

I am 4 months post-op and after spending way too much time researching, I finally got myself an air fryer! It's the combo type that is built into a toaster oven, so I can keep it out year-round without losing more counter space to appliances.

I was also gifted an Instant Pot last Christmas and I will be the first to admit I have barely used it despite hearing so many people rave about them. Now that it's summer and too hot for the regular oven and stovetop, could you help me out with your (preferably simple) favorite bariatric-friendly recipes that use the air fryer or Instant Pot? I don't have any food restrictions except the usual "low carb, low fat" post-surgery recommendations, and try to keep things as minimally processed as possible.

Ooo yes I am interested in this! I bought myself an air fryer and I am so excited to use it!

Posted (edited)

I was trying to find a way to introduce eggs into my food intake as I dislike them and hadn't eaten any in about 30 years so I tried savoury muffins in my air fryer and they were very tasty, so much so I made a second batch :)

4 eggs and then whatever I have as left overs so the most recent batch had small bits of red onion, green pepper, green Beans, cherry tomatoes, bacon and then a drizzle of siracha sauce.

Edited by FifiLux

I am 9.5 months post OP, so my stomach is a little further in the healing process/I'm working on introducing unrefined carbs back into my diet, but SWEET POTATO FRIES!

All you do is cut up some sweet potatoes, spray them with some 0-cal cooking spray, coat them in whatever seasonings you prefer, and throw them in there at like 400 for 12-15 minutes or so. ITS SO GOOD!

Posted (edited)

chicken wings!! My whole family eats it this way, then we all add the sauces we want or keep sauce-less. I dip mine in Bolthouse Ranch Dressing. So good!

Also found this site that I might try next week!

https://wow.bariatriceating.com/air-frying-recipes-for-bariatric-eating/#lp-pom-box-229

Edited by AmberFL

I like crispy tofu in the airfryer.

Block of Tofu/Cornflour/Spices/Oil Spray/Salt/Pepper

You need firm tofu. A couple of hours before you want to eat take the tofu out of the package and blot it dry, then stack a couple of sheets of kitchen paper above and below it (or clean tea towels) then put a plate with a weight on top of it for 5-10 minutes.

In a big bowl add a a big tablespoon of cornflour and the spices/seasonings of your choice for example

• garlic powder/paprika/liquid smoke/dried lime rind
  • Herbes de provence/ lemon zest and juice/ground bay
  • Cumin/Tumeric/dried corriander
  • Soy sauce/sesame oil/garlic/ginger
  • MSG/orange juice and zest/maple syrup/clove powder/cinnamon/chilli/onion powder

Mix your cornflour with your spices and seasonings until well mixed or if you have liquids in your seasonings until its a smoothish paste

Wipe the tofu dry again and cut into cubes, tip the cubed tofu into the bowl with the cornflour and seasoning mix and shake the bowl vigorously until the tofu is covered in the seasoning mix. If some of the tofu breaks into crumbs this is not a problem. They will just be extra crispy crumbs!

It's best to let the tofu marinade for at least 15 minutes to a few hours but I often skip this part because I don't have time.

When you're ready to eat preheat your air fryer to 200°c/400°f.

Open the airfryer drawer and spray with oil, tip the tofu in and give it a spray.

Shake after about 7-8 minutes and then put back in for another 7-8 minutes of until crispy.

Enjoy!

You'll find a lot of youtube/internet recipes that are probably easy to follow then mine if you google "airfryer tofu".

It's nice as a Protein without feeling too "woodstock crunchy vegan"

19 hours ago, BlueParis said:

I like crispy tofu in the airfryer.

A hearty second vote! Tofu with any topping or seasoning is flipping amazing in an air fryer.

I am going to give the tofu a try really soon. My kids hate meat and I am always looking for something they will eat!

4 months post-op I was really into cheese crisps. I would use all kinds of different cheese. One just has to put little piles (~2T) of shredded cheese on parchment paper, season them and air fry them 350°F until crispy. Then you could dip them in hummus or guacamole... Etc.