Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi , I'm 5 months post op , I noticed hairloss around 1month a go , when I wash my hair I lose the most , some days I loose more hair then others, I take my Vitamins everyday , I don't get my 80g of Protein in a day like I should, I'm really starting to try hit my target each day now of 80g , I've added in Protein Shakes to help achieve this, how long does this hairloss go on for ? It's been 1 month, i really don't want to loose anymore 😓😥😢 I take the highest strength Biotin I started taking that 1 month pre op, I'm going to start taking collegen , is this something I just need to ride out ? I know my hair will grow back but I don't want to lose it in the first place

Posted (edited)

Hair loss is a super common concern with being post-op! and I hear you on not wanting to continue to lose hair, because it was quite distressing for me too lol. This type of hair loss, known as telogen effluvium, typically begins around 3-6 months post-op and can last for several months. Make sure you're staying well-hydrated and eating a balanced diet rich in Vitamins and minerals. Iron, zinc, and other nutrients play a role in hair health. Hair loss after surgery is usually temporary. It might take a few more months before you see improvement, even after you address nutritional deficiencies. Keep up with your Protein and supplement regimen, and be patient with the process.

With all of that being said, it is something that you just need to ride out unfortunately. A big part of it is also because of the "delayed response" of not getting enough protein earlier on in your journey, so even though you're hitting your protein/vitamin goals now, it's still going to take a minute to kick in. It typically resolves with time and proper nutrition. Keep focusing on meeting your nutritional needs, and your hair should start to recover.

Wishing you all the best on your journey!

?ts=1718048193

Edited by vsgcriminal

The stress of the surgery, the weight loss, hormonal changes, etc. accelerates your natural Hair loss cycle. So the hair you are losing would have fallen out at some time it’s just happening faster. As @vsgcriminal said it’s very common, it starts around month 4+/- & lasts 3 or 4 months. It’s common after times of high stress, pregnancy and other major surgeries. It’s also quite common to undergo a period of heavier hair shedding every 7 or so years. (Just had one which lasted four months with a similar loss to my post surgery loss.)

Yes, it can be scary at first but it usually isn’t really noticeable except to you & your hairdresser. Many of us cut our hair shorter so it takes less time for your new growth to catch up to the length of your hair. (You’re still growing new hair just at its usual rate.) Plus shorter hair is always bouncier and therefore looks thicker. How much hair you lose is very much an individual thing like most things after.

Remember though the hair on your head is already dead and was ‘scheduled’ to fall out. Any additional Vitamins or Hair growth supplements will only help strengthen new growth. (Fertiliser can’t save a dead plant 😁.) And those who do take supplements find the hair loss still lasts 3-4 months.

My hair grew back as thick as it was before surgery.

like already Said, it is normal after 3-6 Month to get more hairloss for a while, i also loose a bunch, Balance diet and Vitamins are Key!

Just coming in to say I am in the same boat. One day I washed my hair and so much came out I got scared. I started adding collagen to help with new growth and I have been taking Biotin since before surgery. Its just one of those things. Nothing we can control. Just take all your Vitamins, collagen, biotin to help with the new growth so it comes in healthy. I am actually contemplating a shorter hair cut. which I have never done so I am panicky a bit lol but im vain LOL

Be careful with the Biotin! My physician said it can alter blood test results particularly for thyroid.

1 hour ago, OndLei said:

Be careful with the Biotin! My physician said it can alter blood test results particularly for thyroid.

Exactly, if taking Biotin you need to stop 3 days before a blood test!