Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Haven't seen one for july.

Does anyone else have a July surgery date scheduled?

Yes! My surgery date is 7/24/24.

4 hours ago, SecretAgentDD said:

Yes! My surgery date is 7/24/24.

I've got mine end of July! How's pre op diet going?

Meh… It’s ok. Now that I have a date scheduled I’m really buckling down on everything to make sure the transition before and after surgery goes well. I’m trying to chart everything to keep track of things. 🙂 how are you doing?

Howdy - I'm scheduled for July 2nd - it's coming up quickly and NGL, I'm nervous. I was planning on the Roux en-Y gastric surgery and since reading about the SADI-S (Loop) I've been wondering if that's a surgery option for me, or if it is solely a revision of the Classic Sleeve. Does anyone know this answer?

I’d call your doctor. Some doctors only do certain procedures. They’d be able to go over the other you if you have other options. I was not given an option. It’s usually what is least risky combined with most beneficial for your medical situation. It never hurts to ask!

Posted (edited)

Thanks!

Edited by Hiddenroses

1 hour ago, HeatherG5 said:

Yes! Mine is scheduled for July 22nd. Roux-en-y

How are you feeling? How’s everything going with preparing??

On 6/12/2024 at 4:40 PM, HeatherG5 said:

Yes! Mine is scheduled for July 22nd. Roux-en-y

I spoke with my doctor and honestly - I'm perhaps more on the fence than I was before! It's so HARD for me to commit to which surgery to get when given a couple of choices. I was scheduled for July 2 for the Roux-y myself but since I backtracked, asking about the SADI/SLIP (variant of the sleeve for folks with a higher BMI) it's now pushed off another month while they see if they can get insurance to cover it.

Honestly I think I got spooked from seeing a friend of mine not follow her aftercare properly and end up with a hernia due to continuing to take NSAIDs and drink coffee post Roux. Now she keeps dropping weight and seems to not feel like she cannot control how much more weight she loses. I know logically that her experience wouldn't have to be MINE with the Roux; lots of folks have had it and been thrilled with the results.

I'm SO excited for you, having your surgery date locked in! Right now I'm bound for August 5th - IF my insurance approved it. Otherwise I think I'll be getting the sleeve. I keep telling myself I'm not chickening out to take a possible two step approach rather than getting the Roux-y initially. I just don't know, but either way looks like we'll be recovering and going through the process at roughly the same time!! Please share your progress, if you feel so inclined! Do you feel ready for the liquid pre-surgery diet? I read somewhere that cream based Soups, strained, make a good filler during that time.

Sounds like you’re doing a good job of advocating for yourself! I feel ready for what comes my way. I’ve got a planner and have marked down what to do each day and to keep track of everything. Remember, the surgery is out of your hands. Let that stuff go. We have zero control over that. What we can control is following orders that we are given by the surgeon. I just had to let the stress of not having control go. It’s too much to bear. I am committed to doing what I need to do and preparing as much as I can. Failing to plan is like planning to fail. I may plan too much, but with this…I think it’s warranted and will pay off. As far as chickening out, it’s your brains way of trying to talk you into the status quo. Your brain wants to take the comfortable way out and plant seeds of doubt. Try your best to ignore it and remember your reason WHY. Why are you doing surgery? I ask myself this daily.

Hi everyone, I’m new here. My surgery is booked for the19/7
Have to start my pre diet on the 5/7
What do you recommend to start doing now to get ready for it? I’m getting super overwhelmed as the day pass by training not to think about it if I had to be honest

As far as getting ready: I've got a binder my doctor gave to me. It has basically all the information that I should need going forward. I do look at it periodically to refresh my memory about what is expected of me.

For the dietary changes and stages, I write everything I need to stop/start on a calendar. For example: I need to stop drinking coffee and need to taper off to avoid headaches. I am also weaning myself off carbonated Water and need reminders. I'm struggling with a few things such as taking small bites, so I like to put reminders in my calendar so i have to see them every day. I'm also changing my Vitamins over to different brands and also needed reminders for that as well. (I'm forgetful!)

I've made a list of the things I need to buy such as different kinds of Protein Powder, Unjury Protein, chewable vitamins, calcium chews, small utensils, small plates, a drink blender, etc. I've made a list of things to pack for the hospital (thanks to several threads here on this website, I have a list going). As I purchase them, I mark them off. Along those lines, I have fairly good ideas of the types of things I will be eating in each dietary stage so that I can plan ahead for grocery shopping when I get to that point.

I purchased several books off Amazon that were used, and very inexpensive. Things like bariatric cookbooks and bariatric mindset success books. I do try to read a little bit each day and then journal about what I read.

I drive a lot for work so I have plenty of time to listen to podcasts. There are several that I enjoy that I feel are science-based, supportive and informative. I've learned many things from these podcasts about bariatrics. They're free and it's easy to just put one on a few times a week.

Besides bariatricpal, I am trying to avoid other websites that deal with bariatrics at this point. It felt overwhelming and felt like I kept going down a rabbit hole of horror stories and it was not helping with my anxiety. There is one person on youtube that I enjoy watching because she's many years out and is very inspiring.

Now that I have a date for surgery, this all feels very real and scary. I am trying to not give into the fear too much and remember why I am here at this decision. I need to take charge of my health. I have ONE precious life. I want to live the rest of my life in the best health that I can. I've tried desperately since I was about 20 (in my late 40's now) to lose the weight and keep it off. I've had high blood pressure for 15 years and no matter what I do, It continues to be an issue for me. I've been warned that I am pre-diabetic and likely someday soon that will catch up to me and I'll officially be diabetic. I cannot do this on my own and maintain it. It's that simple. This is my second chance and I will not turn back. This is honestly a story about saving my own life by asking for help.

I hope this helps.

On 06/12/2024 at 19:03, SecretAgentDD said:

How are you feeling? How’s everything going with preparing??

I am stressing out over preparing for the liquid phase, artificial sweeteners like sucrulose, aspartame and acesulfame trigger Migraines for me. I am waiting on insurance authorization and to be notified of my out of pocket will be. How are ya’ll doing with preop preparation?

Just Joined. Mine is 7/2/24. I just started the pre-op liquid diet.