Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rapid gastric emptying. Possible treatment.

19 hours ago, ms.sss said:

ok...so a real-time anecdote/example to the Breakfast debate!

woke up this morning at my normal time of 5:30am i usually go to hot yoga around 10 or 11, but this morning i went to a 6:30 class (wanted to try out a new instructor). got home at 8, started to feel super hungry at 9, and i just finished a piece of toast with 1 over easy egg about 20 mins ago.

it is now 9:47 am and i am feeling lethargic and full and i wanna go to sleep. am on the couch right now waiting to digest so i can lay down already.

boo Breakfast (or early day eating, whatever u wanna call it).

lets see how much i end up eating today...

Soooo....how much did you end up eating???

Posted (edited)

i love gathering data and making observations!!! thanks for allowing me to let my freak fly!

soooo: i clocked in at 2293 calories as of 9:30pm-ish yesterday.

and whaddayaknow, this is actually an amount that i normally eat these days!

HOWEVER, a couple things to note:

1) i took an almost 3 hour nap after i digested the offending Breakfast. so my "eating window" was quite reduced....and my calorie burning hours were also reduced.

2) when i woke up, i went to town on a charcuterie board The Kid made and we all know cheese and cured meats and fig jam and crackers and nuts and dried fruit have a ton of calories. especially with the amount i ate, ha!

sooo...i dunno if yesterday was a typical example of me eating in the morning and the ensuing result.

a little anticlimactic...whomp whomp.

IMG_3214.thumb.jpeg.40b1e3d6890dd9773b7ddca657568b4c.jpeg

Edited by ms.sss

Posted (edited)

I don't know if I am the right person to answer this as I'm a newbie (less than 6 months out), but I do get hungry every 2 hours and I need to be eating something every two hours if I have access to food (meaning not out running errands or busy with anything). But again what I eat is considered a very small portion which I assume is the case for everyone who's had WLS? Unfortunately if I'm not eating every 2 hours then I would barely get in 300 calories a day.

So the point is, it depends on how much you eat that you feel hungry 2 hours later? If it is little food then it is completely understandable.

Edited by Lilia_90

One more thing to note is that I was never a Breakfast eater prior to WLS, but after WLS I wake up and I'm hungry within 30 minutes which has never been the case.

Most night I eat a tiny dinner (thanks restriction) at 6 PM and that will be it until the next day. So due to the tiny portions I have to eat earlier (at 10 AM) otherwise I am famished. So I have a coffee at 8:30 and then a small breakfast at 10 and then eat every 2-3 hours otherwise I don't get in enough calories. You could say I am grazer after WLS? I never was a snacker nor a grazer, but hey the pounds are melting off?

I think what matters the most isn't how often you eat but what your total caloric intake is at the end of the day. If you eat a 1000 calories in the form of 3 big meals or tiny Snacks every 2 hours doesn't matter.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Lilia_90 said:

I think what matters the most isn't how often you eat but what your total caloric intake is at the end of the day. If you eat a 1000 calories in the form of 3 big meals or tiny Snacks every 2 hours doesn't matter.

100% agreed!

3 hours ago, Lilia_90 said:

(I) eat every 2-3 hours otherwise I don't get in enough calories. You could say I am grazer after WLS? I never was a snacker nor a grazer

same same same.

except i was/am more like 1-2 hours spacing between eating after WLS (if i remembered to eat) and i was a TOTAL snacker prior to WLS.

i cant tell you how many times i was told (directly or indirectly) that i was/am doing it wrong, that im just repeating the same bad habits (i.e., grazing and skipping breakfast) and that i am on a slippery slope back to obesity .

its been almost 6 years now and im perfectly fine. not even close to being obese again. hopefully this will continue to be the case....because im not so ignorant to assume this M.O. will last forever. things change, and if i don't change with it, who knows?

saying it again: we all so different with different things that work for us, find what works and do that.

❤️

p.s. [ DEEP THOUGHTS tangent ] ...sometimes i feel like im nagging or posing as a pseudo Yoda or something because im getting this feeling like i keep repeating the same thing in a way that can be perceived as condescending and know-it-all-ish (sorry!) i think i have maybe been on this forum too long (and/or too much).

Edited by ms.sss

18 hours ago, Lilia_90 said:

Yes, agree too. As I said, it’s all about what works for you. No wrong way just the right way for you.

It sounds normal to me. Although I haven't had a gastric emptying test, I do get a little hungry after 2 hours. I usually eat every 2 to 3 hours as some of those above have mentioned.

On 6/6/2024 at 12:04 PM, ShoppGirl said:

So I had the sleeve three years ago and gained my weight back. I am pending revision and the dr did an endoscopy and found a hiatal hernia and some gerd. He then ordered a UGI and a gastric emptying study to get some more information to decide which surgery is most appropriate. I just finished the gastric emptying study and after only two hours the food was completely out of my stomach which may explain why I always feel hungry a couple hours after I eat. I am hoping maybe there is a treatment to slow down my stomach emptying and I won’t even need surgery or if I do it will be more successful this time. I see the dr in a week and I’m sure he will have an answer but I’m just curious if this is truly faster than normal and if anyone else has had this issue.

I have a cousin that had gastric sleeve 5 years ago. She's since gained weight back. But, she also didn't follow the guidelines that were set for her after the first year from surgery.

I had gastric bypass in February. The past 6-7 weeks or so I feel like I'm hungry more often than I should be. At least that's what it feels like. Though, I do workout a lot. So, im certain that's most of the issue. Learning that my body is telling me to fuel is different from eating before. When I ate for any other reason other than just fueling what my body needs. Going from living to eat, to eating to live is a process.

I hope you get the answers your looking for.

On 6/6/2024 at 10:04 AM, ShoppGirl said:

So I had the sleeve three years ago and gained my weight back. I am pending revision and the dr did an endoscopy and found a hiatal hernia and some gerd. He then ordered a UGI and a gastric emptying study to get some more information to decide which surgery is most appropriate. I just finished the gastric emptying study and after only two hours the food was completely out of my stomach which may explain why I always feel hungry a couple hours after I eat. I am hoping maybe there is a treatment to slow down my stomach emptying and I won’t even need surgery or if I do it will be more successful this time. I see the dr in a week and I’m sure he will have an answer but I’m just curious if this is truly faster than normal and if anyone else has had this issue.

Two hours for any stomach, one that's gone through a revision or not is a completely normal time frame. In order to be considered rapid gastric emptying, it should occur within 30 mins +-

Interestingly, i just watched a medical program (hosted by the late Dr Michael Mosley) and a top UK gastro consultant said 2hrs is pretty average time frame for your tummy to empty of food. (His patient had delayed emptying - less than half after 3 hrs.)