Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best Vegetable to Eat

What are your favourite or best vegetables to eat? I am struggling with my vegetables. I would rather eat fruit. So I need more vegetables in my diet.

Cucumbers, Broccoli, Green Beans, Tomatoes (half and half), squashes, cauliflower, Kale, lettuces.

I have trouble getting in enough veg or fruits right now.

I was trying to force myself to get some lettuce (romaine or iceberg) and use them as lettuce wraps once or twice a week, but I don't eat enough of the head to make it worth it before it goes bad.

My nutritionist has been telling me that 'fresh is best' -- but also that the best veg to eat is whatever veg you do eat. (in other words -- it doesn't matter how good something might be for you if you don't end up eating it, lol). I have a small can of low sodium V8 twice a week, and try to throw some frozen veg in with my Protein -- spinach, broccoli florets, green Beans. Bell peppers. I used to heavily dislike bell peppers, but after my surgery I love them -- steamed or on the barbecue.

Last night I made myself a taco salad consisting of 1 oz baby spinach, 1 oz red peppers, 1 oz match stick carrots, 2 oz ground chicken with taco seasoning, 1/2 oz cheddar cheese, and 1 oz fresh cilantro salsa. Delicious and just the right amount of food for me. I also like English cucumber slices. A mix of vegetables roasted on a sheet pan is a great thing to have on hand to eat hot or have later cold. I like zucchini, yellow squash, peppers, onions, cauliflower, and grape tomatoes tossed with a small amount of vinaigrette before roasting. Beets, Brussels sprouts, and butternut squash also roast wonderfully. Spiral cut zucchini is delicious with marinara and meatballs instead of spaghetti. And sliced raw veggies pair well with a dip made of cottage cheese blended until smooth in a blender and mixed with ranch powder or onion dip mix (instead of sour cream). Thin it with a little milk for your desired consistency.

Posted (edited)

peas, green Beans, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber, bell peppers, mushrooms

I like them grilled, roasted, sautéed

Edited by SleeveToBypass2023

Asparagus, broccolini, green Beans & sugar snap peas are my go tos then cauliflower, zucchini & cabbage. I usually microwave them. Also eat cucumber, Tomato, carrot, mushrooms, celery, capsicum, onions, corn, peas, lettuce & legumes like lentils or beans depending upon what I’m eating/cooking like Soup, casserole, mince dishes, etc. I just throw in as many vegetables as I can.

Every now & then I’ll try a little potato, pumpkin or sweet potato but they still tend to sit heavily in my tummy.

I tend to keep my fruit lower 1-2 serves a day. Though they have naturally occurring sugar which we don’t ’count’ it’s still a sugar which will be converted & stored as energy (fat) if we don’t use it.

Cucumber, lettuce, carrots, boiled beetroot, leeks, baked squash, roast cauliflower. Early out I had to get my veg in by making different vegetable Soups and blitzing it. I had a cup as one of my 6 tiny meals a day. Any Soup with added cheese was a particular favourite. Broccoli and stilton, onion and cheddar, carrot and cilantro { see I have been on this forum for so long that I am now using the American } lentil and vegetable and Gazpacho are still my favs.

Raw veg other than lettuce tend to fill me for too long. I had some carrot batons this week and I was burping all evening, very unpleasant