Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercises for those who hate exercise?

On 6/6/2024 at 3:18 PM, OndLei said:

I have also checked around for a pool with a pay-per-use option and the only one near me is only available to members at $70 per month.

That is crazy. I just had to pay about €80 for the year to join the once a week class.

If you haven't checked them out yet on YouTube you should look at Meredith Shirk of Svelte Training in case there are some exercises they have that you might like. They do lots, free to view, and a lot of them can be modified depending on aches and pains like knees, back etc. some are seated or on the bed - https://www.youtube.com/@MeredithShirkandSvelteTraining

I took up cycling about two years ago. It's exercise and a cheap method of transportation. I got an e-bike as I don't have the fitness levels (yet) for an "acoustic" model. I found it's good for knees as they can go a full rotation but without putting weight on them since the saddle takes the weight. I also agree with Water aerobics. My gym used to have a class I went to, but I can't attend since it's at 11am on Monday now and I have to work.

I’m lucky as I’ve just re-joined my local authority gym at £23 per month. This entitles me to use any of the LAs gyms, pools, fitness classes etc. My local gym is at the bottom of my road (it’s a very steep hill!!) and has a fully equipped gym, pool and fitness studio with lots of different classes. I just wish the gym part was bigger as it can get crowded at busy times but I can’t complain re the cost

1 hour ago, MrsFitz said:

I’m lucky as I’ve just re-joined my local authority gym at £23 per month. This entitles me to use any of the LAs gyms, pools, fitness classes etc. My local gym is at the bottom of my road (it’s a very steep hill!!) and has a fully equipped gym, pool and fitness studio with lots of different classes. I just wish the gym part was bigger as it can get crowded at busy times but I can’t complain re the cost

No such scheme in my LA sadly. London is really expensive.

48 minutes ago, NeonRaven8919 said:

No such scheme in my LA sadly. London is really expensive.

So unfair isn’t it?? Does your LA offer anything health & fitness-wise? Ours has something called Better Living and offers free 12 week courses for such as keep fit, various diet programs etc. I had to do one of the slimming world nonsense things through them before I could be referred for WLS. My GP told me about it all so maybe your GP could point you in the right direction should there be something similar where you are?

1 hour ago, MrsFitz said:

So unfair isn’t it?? Does your LA offer anything health & fitness-wise? Ours has something called Better Living and offers free 12 week courses for such as keep fit, various diet programs etc. I had to do one of the slimming world nonsense things through them before I could be referred for WLS. My GP told me about it all so maybe your GP could point you in the right direction should there be something similar where you are?

I've done a few of the "weight loss workshops" that they offered, but it was yet another weight loss diet attempt that failed. I think it was called "apples and pears" and they weighed us, gave us a few tips on healthy eating and criticised the slightest and then left us to to run around the gym for an hour. It was more like a creche for fat adults and very patronising. They offered some counselling, but she didn't want to listen to me talk about anything but food, which isn't really helpful if emotional eating isn't really about eating.

4 hours ago, NeonRaven8919 said:

I've done a few of the "weight loss workshops" that they offered, but it was yet another weight loss diet attempt that failed. I think it was called "apples and pears" and they weighed us, gave us a few tips on healthy eating and criticised the slightest and then left us to to run around the gym for an hour. It was more like a creche for fat adults and very patronising. They offered some counselling, but she didn't want to listen to me talk about anything but food, which isn't really helpful if emotional eating isn't really about eating.

Ah…run by people who don’t have the first idea then? I just know that occasionally they offer funding for gym memberships and didn’t know if it was something that was offered to you. It is bloody offensive though that we have to jump through hoops just to prove our ‘worth’ before being offered WLS 🤬

Leslie Sansone walking videos are good. You can find them on YouTube. You can start with her 1 mile video or her 15 minutes videos. It’s more like walking aerobics using a few basic steps. I do 60 minute hikes 4x a week. Once a week I do her 3 mile American Heart Association video because I find the side movement is great for my hip joints. Good Luck!

14 hours ago, MrsFitz said:

Ah…run by people who don’t have the first idea then? I just know that occasionally they offer funding for gym memberships and didn’t know if it was something that was offered to you. It is bloody offensive though that we have to jump through hoops just to prove our ‘worth’ before being offered WLS 🤬

I think if funding for gym memberships was available that would be really helpful. TBH I've never looked into it.

Get a walking pad off tik tok and a really good show to binge watch and walk. Start off 30 mins. Get up and walk throughout the day and try to get in 10,000 steps a day by narching me place during meetings or breaks. I’m in yhe same boat. Surgery was in April and I know I need to start strength training but have no motivation. Hope this helps

I'd love to help you find something, but first I need to ask some questions:

1. What are you hoping to accomplish by starting to exercise? In other words, what's motivating your desire to make a change?
  2. When you say your hate exercise, what is it specifically that makes you say that? What parts about the process do you not like?
  3. You mention you used to enjoy "aerobics classes", but didn't explain why this won't work for you anymore. Can you elaborate?

I am one month post op from a revision to SADI. I was telling my friend that After my sleeve I never did exercise and that I really do need to but everytime I do the treadmill I get so boared with it that it never sticks and I want to walk around the neighborhood because I feel like it may be a little more entertaining so I can stick to it but I had a trauma in my past that made that super hard for me. I have lived In my house for 20 some years and not walked around the neighborhood once without my husband with me.

Well, I am incredibly lucky to have a really good friend who said she needs to get more exercise too and she committed to walking together…well via technology anyways. She lives an hour away so Every night for the past 6 nights we have figured out a time that works for both of our locations weather wise and we walk at that same time and talk on the phone.

Even the preparation was more fun with someone else doing it to. We both ordered our walking shoes and talked about what we were going to wear and she has her Fanny pack and I bought a running belt to hold our phones and we got the small pepper spray that straps onto your hand. It helped me tremendously the first couple of nights to get me past the anxiety of doing it at all and now it just makes it so much more fun. The person on the other end of the phone doesn’t even really have to be exercising either. Just someone willing to talk to you at a set time to keep you motivated.

As soon as we get home we end the call so we can jump in the shower and get dinner ready. Otherwise we would be on the phone all night. It’s worked so well for me. Also my Apple Watch has helped. To be able to have it log my exercise and use my heart rate and steps and let me know how many calories I am burning and how many miles and steps each day And to look back and watch as I am doing a little more each day. The morning after that first night I woke up feeling so incredibly proud of myself and each night since I sleep better, I wake up feeling refreshed. It’s amazing the way it makes me feel. I can’t believe I did do this sooner. It feels incredible.

I just figured out another way to at least get you started. After talking to a nurse at my surgeons office I am still at risk for blood clots so she wants me walking more short walks instead of one long walk per day so I decided that in addition to my nightly walk that everytime my alarm goes off for me to take my Vitamin (except for the 9PM) I am going to take a 5 minute walk back and forth from one end of the house to the other.

You don’t really need any special change or clothes and it’s air conditioned so probably no sweat or anything. i just did it and it was .26 mile so even just that 5 minutes (4 times a day) will be a mile a day. If that physically too much start with two minutes and work your way up. Any little bit is better than nothing and once you start you will feel like doing more I assure you. It feels so good it’s addicting.

Edited by ShoppGirl