Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercises for those who hate exercise?

Hi everyone. I'm new here and 4 months post surgery. I know I really need to add some exercise to my days but I haven't found anything that I even remotely enjoy doing. I'm not ready to join a gym because I'm afraid I won't stick with it and really can't afford to pay for something I'm not using. Based on past experience, the expense has not been a motivator to keep going.

YEARS ago (mid-90s), I had been going to a gym and taking aerobics classes which I did enjoy. Since then, I have tried everything from dancing (terribly uncoordinated) to crossfit (too intense) to yoga (meh) but haven't found anything that I like enough to keep doing.

All that being said, does anyone have suggestions for possible exercises for someone who hates to exercise? I would prefer something I can do at home for now. Links or specific programs would be appreciated. Thanks! 🙂

Go on YouTube and look up home exercises I’m sure that you will find something there that you will enjoy or go on walks…

If you have access to a pool and don't mind being seen in a swimming costume aqua aerobics is nice and easy to get the body moving and help joints. If you have a yard/garden even just walking around it would be good to help get you moving, or stairs if you are in an apartment complex.

I am not the best when it comes to exercise but I can certainly feel an improvement in my interest and energy levels as the weight comes off. I start each day with good intentions but often procrastinate or find something else to do but I do go to aqua aerobics once a week since February and since last month I am doing pilates once a week. I believe in turning up if I have paid so signed up for a year of the aqua aerobics and doing the pilates in 10 block sessions. At home I do the One and Done program, seven minutes every two days or three days depending on how I am feeling. Again as I paid for it, think $30, I use it and I can feel the difference. I also have an stationary bike that I use once a week or so if I haven't done any other exercises. I just do about 5km at a time as I find it boring but I am sure any little helps.

My main problem area is my legs (ankles to thighs) as I have bad lipedema and while they have gone down in size since my sleeve surgery they still do me no favours in the appearance department so I am just trying to target them as much as possible.

ok.

first let me say that regular exercise may not affect the number on the scale as much as diet does, but it does WONDERS for your appearance and well being.

starting something that is beyond your capabilities or desire is a sure fire way to alienate yourself from exercise even more.

how about starting small: walk around your neighbourhood; vacuum your entire house more often. do some gardening or yard work.

you can even start SUPER-small; take the stairs instead on the escalator; park further away from your destinations and walk the difference.

once you get ur body used to moving regularly and hopefully develop an actual liking of endorphins, it may be easier to make the transition to something more regular and challenging.

good luck! ❤️

I love to walk, I can speed march now. I can walk to the shops and walk back with two full bags of shopping. If I am home alone and the weather is bad and I feel like I need to do some exercise, I will put on fluffy socks and dance myself dizzy on my tiled kitchen floor.

Every Tuesday I volunteer in a charity shop. Its so busy. I work like a demon and its seriously hard graft. I get home exhausted. I have to give myself a day off on Wednesday because I am usually still fatigued.

Exercise doesn't have to be boring or paid for. Find something you love to do and run with it.

Early post op I liked to think about exercise as just 'moving more'. It allowed me to think of a short walk as a huge win. As I lost weight I could walk further and faster and even tried jogging a bit. And it didn't kill me. Now, at maintenance, exercise is a regular and enjoyable part of my life. It's never worked for weight loss, but it's so good for my wellbeing and cardiovascular health generally. Now I'm not morbidly obese I can do most things within reason (I'm just into my 50s now, LOL).

I advise baby steps, finding something you like (I love Pilates but if you'd asked me to do it 10 or 20 years ago I would have laughed out loud). Dance classes are fun too (but I have NO co-ordination). Keep an eye on things locally and try taster sessions. Hopefully something will click with you and then it won't be a chore but a joy.

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Spinoza said:

Early post op I liked to think about exercise as just 'moving more'. It allowed me to think of a short walk as a huge win. As I lost weight I could walk further and faster and even tried jogging a bit. And it didn't kill me. Now, at maintenance, exercise is a regular and enjoyable part of my life. It's never worked for weight loss, but it's so good for my wellbeing and cardiovascular health generally. Now I'm not morbidly obese I can do most things within reason (I'm just into my 50s now, LOL).

I advise baby steps, finding something you like (I love Pilates but if you'd asked me to do it 10 or 20 years ago I would have laughed out loud). Dance classes are fun too (but I have NO co-ordination). Keep an eye on things locally and try taster sessions. Hopefully something will click with you and then it won't be a chore but a joy.

yep, yep and yep, i went from being an avid avoider or sweat pre-op, to a dedicated walker around my kitchen island post-op, to walking around the block, to walking around the block multiple times, to RUNNING around said block, to running 5K every other day...etc.

i had a bit of an exercise lull (for me) due to an injured toe for a couple years for a bit back there, but today (at 5+ years out) i perform some sort of dedicated exercise 1-2 hours every day (the majority if which is in the form of pilates or hot yoga or running, with a side of 10-15 mins of strength training).

full disclosure: i probably have some sort of low grade mental issue/addiction because i actually feel sorta bad or fomo-ish if i miss a day. mr. keeps telling me that need to take a rest day but i just cant seem to do it without feeling yuck. am working on it...🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by ms.sss

I’ve tried so many types of exercise over the years & never found one I really enjoyed & stuck with. I dislike getting hit & sweaty. I did enjoy yoga - calming & love the stretching aspect. I didn’t exercise while I was losing but around 18months ago I heard about exercise snacking which is focussed on short bursts of activity several times a day. Bought myself some resistance bands & a thick mat (for my honey back - got them from Kmart so super cheap) and began doing 5 odd minute bursts of stretches, bands, & such about 4 times a day. Added some things & dropped others in my routine. I find it very easy to incorporate into my day. Do it all at home. Usually every day. Do tend to stick to specific times (2:30pm, 4pm, 5pm, 9:15pm). Will also do a few other little things throughout the day. Like have added some feet & Achilles tendon stretches on my stairs, stretch out my hamstrings using the kitchen bench while cooking. Big thing is I’ve been sticking with it. Even if away I do a variation of the activities (I don’t take my bands with me.)

Initially started to help support my back (oozing discs) & regain some flexibility & be more limber. Bonus has been toning the muscles in my arms & legs. (had to buy some new trousers as my thighs had got a little bigger (not huge just firmer I guess) & I get compliments on my toned arms - who’d have thought it.

Worth giving it a go.

I am in the same boat...I used to be a die-hard gym rat, however the last 20 years I haven't hardly gone. I can't stand going to the gym anymore, they are all packed with tons of people. I have found myself walking more around the house, up and down the stairs, gone on a few walks around the neighborhood. Just find more activity without going to the gym. I still need to go back as well. I have lost a lot of muscle along with the weight. I do still have arthritis in the knees, but the pain has lessened a lot and they recover faster. On a positive note, I am now able to get my knees replaced, but not ready to do it yet, the longer I can wait the better. I still want to do some hiking, and maybe go back to the gym, one of the 24 hour places so I can go when it isn't full of people.

I don’t engage in formal exercise, but I fully embrace the concept that an active lifestyle is key to good health. I swear by the ‘one in, one out’ rule. It ensures I’m frequently on my feet. Instead of keeping everything within arm’s reach, I store items away, which prompts me to stand and retrieve them as needed. And it helps with clutter. [emoji3]

Additionally, I use an the under-desk cycle, It allows me to stay active even while seated at my desk or watching TV. It keeps my legs moving and promotes circulation, I don't put it on high resistance, as I don't want to injure my knees, I don't break out in a sweat, It's easygoing but effective.

I look for any excuse to get some extra walking in -- like @ms.sss said, takes the stairs when it's an option, park further away. I like to find different parks and trails to visit on weekends for longer walks -- even mall-walking can be entertaining if you switch it up.

Most of the community centres in my city have drop-in classes in a heated pool -- some for therapy, others for strengthening or low impact cardio, etc. It's a nice way to get a taste of a few options before paying any full-on membership dues. Maybe check around your local area for something like that -- or a gym that offers a one month trial, etc.

(Honestly, everytime I've bought a membership to a gym, I'm awesomely committed for a few weeks and then never go back -- so I stay away from gyms myself)

I also bought a foldable stationary bike for at home (like $130 on amazon) for days when the weather is too wet / hot / etc for me to enjoy a good walk.

(When I was younger, I loved this exercise series called Power90. It's super out-dated now in terms of style (etc) but I found it on youtube recently and will probably give it a try again once I'm a little further into my recovery. Short 30-45 minute workout videos, I think the only thing you needed to buy was either a resistance band or light handweights, and a yoga mat if needed. They have updated versions throughout the years with more flash and pizazz but I'm a fan of simplicity.)

I think walking is one of the best types of exercise and it is easy to do. I think people who hate exercise would not mind walking.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I actually don't enjoy walking outside. I don't handle the temperature fluctuations or humidity well. There are a lot of roads in my area without sidewalks and there are times I think drivers AIM for pedestrians! My coworker was recently hit by a car and is now nursing a broken ankle. I do have a treadmill but can't seem to make myself use it. I do park farther away when I go out and I rarely go anyplace that has an escalator or elevator so it's pretty much always taking the stairs. I walk the stairs in my home quite frequently with my office being in the basement.

I have searched YouTube for exercises and not found anything yet that I even remotely enjoyed which is why I was hoping for specific suggestions. Dance type exercise just makes me self-conscious (even if I'm alone) and frustrated because I quite literally trip over my own feet. I have also checked around for a pool with a pay-per-use option and the only one near me is only available to members at $70 per month. Even if I used it every day, that's not feasible for my budget. I had really hoped that I would be able to find one because Water aerobics was one thing I did enjoy. Guess I'll just have to keep looking and hoping to find SOMETHING.

21 hours ago, OndLei said:

at $70 per month.

Whoa, for that much money I would want it to be full of milk and be Cleopatra every day.

On 6/7/2024 at 6:58 AM, summerseeker said:

Whoa, for that much money I would want it to be full of milk and be Cleopatra every day.

Right?!? It's insane! There are cheaper gyms nearby but none with a pool. I did find a couple of things online I'm going to try so we'll see how that goes!