Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On 9/10/2024 at 11:20 AM, Justarwaxx said:

Oh God! I just experienced my first foamies attack! I think I ate too fast and didn't chew my food well! I was eating during a video call meeting and got distracted.. I can literally feel the food in my heart 🤣

To be honest, I am quite happy to finally feel fullness today!

At Breakfast and lunch and now dinner! I always felt out of place for not feeling "full" well I definitely felt it and I do not want to reach full stage or fullness again .. God I wanna push down the food 😩 ouchy but yay!

@JustarwaxxUGH!!! Now that's some good motivation for me to stick to measuring and staying within my plan! I had never heard of "foamies" until today. Yuck. I would like to have a better grasp on my body's fullness cues with my new designer GI tract, but hopefully they'll be more subtle. Hope you're feeling better.

23 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

Ooh I am so sorry that you went through that, sounds awful. My hubby got it and thankfully he had been super careful around me since surgery for fear of just what happened to you. When he even thought he may be getting sick (just didn’t feel quite right) he told me so we could take precautions and he slept on the couch. Sure enough less than two days later he had it. I was fortunate enough that I didn’t have to go out much so him giving me something was my only real risk. I’m glad to hear that you are feeling a little better now, though. I couldn’t imagine a stomach flu with all of this. I was afraid of just coughing and sneezing but vomiting OMG. I do not envy you for that. How are you doing otherwise?

Yeah, it was awful. At least I could keep Water and chicken broth down. I'm been working slowly to building back up to more purees again, but I definitely didn't want to risk it last week.

Otherwise, I'm doing okay. Been struggling with hitting my goals the last couple of days, which I assume is because I feel not great still. But I'm listening to my body. Eating and drinking until it feels like I can't and then pausing for a while. (Obviously, not eating and drinking together, but you know what I mean.)

I go for my next post-op appointment on Wednesday. That will be my 1 month check-in. I can actually feel more weight loss in my legs and places around my stomach. I'm curious to see how much weight I do end up losing after all this. Like, I noticed my weight loss in how my clothes fit before my 10-day post-op. But I can actually feel it in places on my body when touching them now, so that's going to be interesting.

We go on vacation 10/6 and we've already talked about my clothing situation. Even my bras need to be replaced at this point. But since I don't go anywhere except the doctors appointments right now, I'm going to make what I have currently work for the next couple of weeks. And then on our way down to our vacation spot on the 6th, we're going to stop by the outlet store and get me some new clothes and get properly fitted for the correct size bra. That way I have the most accurate fit for clothes for a couple of months. lol

I still need to catch up on reading the forums. Hopefully I can get to that this weekend.

1 hour ago, draikaina8503 said:

Yeah, it was awful. At least I could keep Water and chicken broth down. I'm been working slowly to building back up to more purees again, but I definitely didn't want to risk it last week.

Otherwise, I'm doing okay. Been struggling with hitting my goals the last couple of days, which I assume is because I feel not great still. But I'm listening to my body. Eating and drinking until it feels like I can't and then pausing for a while. (Obviously, not eating and drinking together, but you know what I mean.)

I go for my next post-op appointment on Wednesday. That will be my 1 month check-in. I can actually feel more weight loss in my legs and places around my stomach. I'm curious to see how much weight I do end up losing after all this. Like, I noticed my weight loss in how my clothes fit before my 10-day post-op. But I can actually feel it in places on my body when touching them now, so that's going to be interesting.

We go on vacation 10/6 and we've already talked about my clothing situation. Even my bras need to be replaced at this point. But since I don't go anywhere except the doctors appointments right now, I'm going to make what I have currently work for the next couple of weeks. And then on our way down to our vacation spot on the 6th, we're going to stop by the outlet store and get me some new clothes and get properly fitted for the correct size bra. That way I have the most accurate fit for clothes for a couple of months. lol

I still need to catch up on reading the forums. Hopefully I can get to that this weekend.

One suggestion in terms of your bra is to buy a bra with the correct cup size, but one that actually fits you on the biggest hook. That way you can use the other two or three hooks depending on how many are on it as you lose weight still because usually when they fit you, they aim for that middle hook so that you can gain or lose 10 pounds and it’ll still fit, but you know you’re not gonna be gaining anytime soon. Another option that I thought about doing myself because I had the sleeve and I know that I don’t lose much in my cup size. It’s just the band size is to buy one that fits in the cup, but it’s actually a size smaller in the band and use a bra extender, so it’ll last longer

Edited by ShoppGirl

I have been using this Moderna scar gel for the past week and you can use it on old and new stars and I’m actually noticing a bit of a difference already. Just thought I’d share. Obviously run it by your team to make sure you’re ready for it and they agree, but my nurse practitioner is the one who recommended it.

Edited by ShoppGirl

19 hours ago, AndreaJD said:

@Justarwaxx, I echo what @ShoppGirl said. Before surgery, I listened carefully to every horror story people wanted to tell me, to make sure I was making the right choice. I even sought out stories online, because I wanted to consider all the angles.

Now, however, I listen to my medical team for instructions and to you all for advice on how to make them happen. The thing is, everyone has an opinion on WLS. Everyone "knows someone who had it and... [insert experience here]." But you don't have to listen. I can drink quite a lot fairly quickly, too. I talked to the PA about it and she said that's normal and fine, as long as you're getting enough fluids. She said I may have more trouble as time goes on, because scar tissue hasn't formed yet. So I am choosing to be grateful that I am able to get my fluids in easily.

I work from home and I'm kind of a homebody anyway, so I haven't talked to many people about my surgery. I haven't had many people tell me what they think I should do, but when I do, I listen politely and change the subject.

You are absolutely right! Don't compare yourself to anyone else. Let yourself be happy you're drinking easily, and give yourself ALL the kudos for being on this journey. It sounds to me like you're doing perfectly.

And thank you for suggesting hiding the scale. I weigh every morning and get excited to see if I've dropped, but that's a mistake and I know it. I'm going to hide my scale, too, and weigh once a week.

I might need to hide my scale too. I lost 9lbs pre-surgery and 11lbs the week after surgery, but this second week I haven’t really lost any weight. It’s frustrating and I know it’s just my body using all the calories and nutrients I’m giving it, but I’m eating so little that in my mind, it should just be flying off.

I meet with my dietitian for the first time tomorrow and I’m hoping they will give me the green light to start purée! I cannot wait to add more variety!!

2 hours ago, Chatterboxdea said:

I might need to hide my scale too. I lost 9lbs pre-surgery and 11lbs the week after surgery, but this second week I haven’t really lost any weight. It’s frustrating and I know it’s just my body using all the calories and nutrients I’m giving it, but I’m eating so little that in my mind, it should just be flying off.

I meet with my dietitian for the first time tomorrow and I’m hoping they will give me the green light to start purée! I cannot wait to add more variety!!

There is a thing called the three weeks stall, but if you do a search on here, you will see everybody basically has it and it can be like the second we grow the fourth week it’s not exactly 3 weeks like clockwork, but it is just your body kind of recalibrating I’m 99% sure that’s what’s happening

Edited by ShoppGirl

When you finally do drop weight, you’ll probably drop a couple or several pounds at once

Does anyone else feel like a hard bump under some of their incisions?

Not sure if anyone else is trying their hand at freezing prepared foods but I decided to use the notepad in my phone to start a running log of what I freeze so that I don’t have to dig around just to see what’s available. I pulled out my Turkey taco meat last night and made a ricotta bake with it tonight. With the marinara you couldn’t tell that it was taco flavored. It was actually really good and so simple. I just shredded the mozzarella and the Romano and threw it all into a small rectangle Pyrex and popped it in the microwave. My hubby really liked it too which was surprising because he doesn’t like lasagna. I was going to add some leftover veggies to it as well but I didn’t want to need more ricotta which would increase the calories. It had plenty of Protein already 37g. I forgot the marinara at first though. If I had put the marinara over the meat and then added the veggies I think it would’ve been fine. I have made it before but I never measured the ingredients like I’m doing now.

22 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

Does anyone else feel like a hard bump under some of their incisions?

Update. Called my NP and she looked at it and it’s fine. She said it may actually push out a little before it gets better so not to freak out over that. I think she is getting to understand my anxiety. 😂

Okay so look at the macros and see if this fits your plan. It may be a little high in carbs for some if you’re not very active but this recipe is probably my favorite out of my two weeks if soft foods so I thought I would share. It’s called south of the border chicken chili from the McCormick website. I added onions and garlic because I like them in everything but this is super simple and high Protein. You may want to leave out the corn and do more Beans or tomatoes if your tummy is still fussy but I haven’t had any issues with anything and I’m allowed to start incorporating more foods so I’m having it with the corn and so far so good 🤞

My pot made a little over 7 one cup servings which Baritastic calculated at 25g of protein (12.5 if you can only do a half cup) and 26g carbs (but part of that was the onions). I needed more protein for the day so I opted for the shredded cheese on top. Anyways, it’s chicken, bell pepper, white and black beans, canned Tomato and corn with a seasoning pack from McCormick. I can’t finish the whole cup so I’m gonna have it again for a snack but I really love it. I hope it freezes well.

https://www.mccormick.com/recipes/main-dishes/south-of-the-border-chicken-chili

22 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

Update. Called my NP and she looked at it and it’s fine. She said it may actually push out a little before it gets better so not to freak out over that. I think she is getting to understand my anxiety. 😂

Haha! Mine would change sizes I thought I was going insane! My doctor said it's fine and it's just healing on the inside. I haven't noticed it much the last week or so.

Also Hello everyone! I had my surgery august 6th. Looking forward to talking to people with a similar start date!

2 hours ago, Voca said:

Haha! Mine would change sizes I thought I was going insane! My doctor said it's fine and it's just healing on the inside. I haven't noticed it much the last week or so.

Also Hello everyone! I had my surgery august 6th. Looking forward to talking to people with a similar start date!

My surgery was Aug 7th. How are you doing?

Hi everyone,

It has been awhile since I have posted. We have been very busy around my house.
I will be 6 weeks post-op on Tuesday.

I can officially transition over to regular texture foods as of then. My dietician did tell me to not attempt over 1/2cup per meal. She said that is my max goal for a couple more months. Daily goals: 60-80g Protein, 48+ ounces of fluids, 500-700 calories, eat 3-6 times per day. Obviously do not eat 1/2 cup 6 times per day though. Lol

I am excited about being able to go to the gym and start an exercise regimen.
I also do not need Protein Shakes anymore as long as I am meeting my protein goals. So happy about that. I have found a new product, Nurri, it is an ultra-filtered milk (shelf stable) with 30g protein and only 150 calories. It is honestly better than Fairlife and comes in a can. I have been drinking that for my Breakfast and while I take all my meds. I slowly take my meds over the 30 minutes or so I drink it.

@draikaina8503 hope you are feeling better.
@Justarwaxx the foamies are the worst. I’m glad it has only happened to me once.
@ShoppGirl the target heart rate formula is interesting. I can walk across the room and my heart rate would be higher than that. Those goals don’t really work for me but if it’s great if they help you.
@Voca my date was also 8/6. Hope you are doing well.

I can’t remember who asked about weight going up and down. That has not happened to me since my surgery, but in previous dieting for sure it happened. I have had a couple of days where my weight did not change. I am more of a slow loser so I weigh every day to keep myself honest and to see if something I did the day before might contribute to loss or even a stall. It works for me but might not be good for everyone.

I have tried chili from Wendy’s and McAllister’s Deli and they were okay. I do not really count those as “eating out” since they were chili and I could have had almost the same from a can.
Last night I went to dinner with some friends for the first time since surgery. I had not told any of them about my surgery and then they were all worried about what I could eat. I had already looked at the menu before going so I knew what my options were. Really not super WLS friendly. It’s a wood fired pizza restaurant. I ordered the best protein option pizza and had only the toppings from 2 pieces. They were small pieces and the entire pizza fit on a single plate.
My choices worked because today I am down 1.3 pounds. It made me happy that I knew I made the right choice. I was also not bothered by them eating other foods and seeing them finish their entire meals. They were all super supportive and asked if we needed to go somewhere else.

I recently went through my closet and started pulling clothes that are too big and adding in fall clothes. I had previously done a big purge of clothes that did not fit and I did not want to keep so my clothing options are a bit limited right now. My cousin had the gastric sleeve about 18 months ago and she gave me all of her clothes so that has been a huge help. It was like getting new clothes for free. Haha

My NSV is putting something on that did not fit a month ago and now is loose. That is a great feeling. Looking at the scale and saying I have lost 25 pounds since 8/6 and that does not seem like a lot to me but knowing how a certain shirt or pants fit before and now they are loose or even too big to wear. That helps keep it real for me and helps to keep me motivated.
Hope everyone has a great week and keep focused on those small goals and successes.

On 9/11/2024 at 4:41 PM, AndreaJD said:

AndreaJD, I can hardly believe what a badass you are! (And I mean that in a "wow you're awesome" way.) Walking 2 miles already? That is really great and I am so happy for you. Keep up the great work! I also need to start working on my muscles - for me it's core, arms, and legs (well, now that I think about it, that's pretty much everything, right?)

Thank you for your encouragement! I am at a plateau in my weight loss journey. Somewhat discouraging. I am exercising, measuring, and getting my Protein in. Worried I am not getting enough hydration (noticed some dry skin on my legs).

Wishing you continued success throughout your journey!