Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

46 minutes ago, Justarwaxx said:

Sigh! I had a coffee meeting with a client who I never met before and we sort of talked about my surgery and when she knew I had the surgery she was SHOCKED that I was able to finish my ice coffee faster than she did and I was actually able to stomach it. She started to say I shouldn't be able too and bla bla... her advices were based on what she saw close friends go through and it just made me go through more anxiety than what I've been going through because I've been feeling like how come I can stomach more foods than most of you? Many say I couldn't eat this and that and here I am eating! Obviously I ain't eating like I used too but being able to finish my tiny bowl makes me feel guilty! My husband told me to snap out of it becayse I am definitely not over eating :((( I need to stop comparing myself to others..

P.s. I booked a session with a dietitian from a private hospital just saw I can have a one on one! As I can't wait till the 16th to meet with my doctor

You poor thing doing this without much guidance from your team. First of all, DO NOT let anyone give you advise who is not a medical professional or someone who had your surgery. Who knows what they are comparing it to. For one thing most people thing all the surgeries are a Bypass and they are all the same, and second who knows how far out this person was. On top of that, liquids pretty much go right through once the swelling goes down. One month post sleeve i Was practical bacK to drinking my normal one gallon of fluids which is twice what they recommend as a goal!! This time it’s really not a good comparison since they didn’t operate on my stomach but I am up to 3/4 cup of food per meal. My book says 1/2-3/4 cup. All I know is that I feel fantastic. I am losing at a steady pace and exercising too which I never did before. I know it’s hard not to compare but honestly we should take everyone’s advice with a grain of salt because your doctor is the only one who knows all about you and your circumstances as well as your surgery. Make sure that your nutritionist has worked with bariatric patients before or you will most likely be wasting your time though. Did you call and ask your team if they can get you in sooner??

Corrected to add actually I just realized you did not have a sleeve or bypass either. Honestly you need to get advise from someone who had your surgery. We can cheer you on and relate to many parts of all of this but I know I for one am not very familiar with your surgery at all.

Edited by ShoppGirl

19 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

You poor thing doing this without much guidance from your team. First of all, DO NOT let anyone give you advise who is not a medical professional or someone who had your surgery. Who knows what they are comparing it to. For one thing most people thing all the surgeries are a Bypass and they are all the same, and second who knows how far out this person was. On top of that, liquids pretty much go right through once the swelling goes down. One month post sleeve i Was practical bacK to drinking my normal one gallon of fluids which is twice what they recommend as a goal!! This time it’s really not a good comparison since they didn’t operate on my stomach but I am up to 3/4 cup of food per meal. My book says 1/2-3/4 cup. All I know is that I feel fantastic. I am losing at a steady pace and exercising too which I never did before. I know it’s hard not to compare but honestly we should take everyone’s advice with a grain of salt because your doctor is the only one who knows all about you and your circumstances as well as your surgery. Make sure that your nutritionist has worked with bariatric patients before or you will most likely be wasting your time though. Did you call and ask your team if they can get you in sooner??

Corrected to add actually I just realized you did not have a sleeve or bypass either. Honestly you need to get advise from someone who had your surgery. We can cheer you on and relate to many parts of all of this but I know I for one am not very familiar with your surgery at all.

Thank you so much :( I tried not to let her effect me because she clearly had no experience at all!

Tomorrow I also have a call from the nurse incharge for all bariatric patients so I'll have a good chat with her and yes the dietician is experienced with WLS patients.

I don't know why it shows bypass balloon! I had the gastric bypass. I think I picked the wrong one by mistake teehee. I'll edit it later!

I'll keep a mental note to myself always to never ever compare 😫

11 minutes ago, Justarwaxx said:

Thank you so much :( I tried not to let her effect me because she clearly had no experience at all!

Tomorrow I also have a call from the nurse incharge for all bariatric patients so I'll have a good chat with her and yes the dietician is experienced with WLS patients.

I don't know why it shows bypass balloon! I had the gastric bypass. I think I picked the wrong one by mistake teehee. I'll edit it later!

Oh good. Sounds like you should get some answers soon about what you are doing. I was second guessing my calories today and my good friend said as long as you are losing as much as they expect you to, stick with what you are doing!! That made so much sense. Not sure why it took someone else to even tell me that because it’s obvious. Don’t fix what isn’t broken.

11 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

Oh good. Sounds like you should get some answers soon about what you are doing. I was second guessing my calories today and my good friend said as long as you are losing as much as they expect you to, stick with what you are doing!! That made so much sense. Not sure why it took someone else to even tell me that because it’s obvious. Don’t fix what isn’t broken.

Exactly!!! We have such high expectations so it'd only natural that we want to make sure we achieve them! And we will! I can't wait to c us in the near future and I can't wait to leave the 100kgs and go into the 90s! That's my first small goal! I hid my scale so I won't check my weight till my doctors app hehe.

25 minutes ago, Justarwaxx said:

Exactly!!! We have such high expectations so it'd only natural that we want to make sure we achieve them! And we will! I can't wait to c us in the near future and I can't wait to leave the 100kgs and go into the 90s! That's my first small goal! I hid my scale so I won't check my weight till my doctors app hehe.

All we have to do is stick to the plan and we should be just fine. Hiding the scale is actually a really good idea. I have already gone through this once so I already know that my weight can fluctuate by a few pounds even from morning to night so I know to expect it, yet i stepped on the scale yesterday and it went up a pound and it caused me a bit of anxiety. I was like I ate low calories, did all my fluids and actually exercised more than i have in years, how is this possible?! My husband was like one pound, this happens, remember. So thankful to have him as my voice of reason.

Checking in! I'm a little over 3 weeks post op but it feels like longer! I've started making lists of what foods sit well and what absolutely doesnt. I'm doing great with eggs, turkey salad, cheese, strawberries, watermelon, and Soups. I rejected chicken. I've also had trouble with my MV. It was sitting really well until one day I just got extremely ill after taking it. I don't know what the secret sauce is of taking it where it won't cause nausea. I'm thinking of changing brands. I've been able to go out to events and I'm getting better at refusing to put myself in positions where I'll have trouble with food. Yesterday my friends wanted to go to Asian Buffet, i explained I couldn't eat anything there but they were persistant. I got in the car and my daughter rolled down her window and told them all she didn't feel good. I didn't want to ruin their evening by making them choose something else, all in all I wasn't mad. It's just different. My other bari gals I'm friends with get it.

Still having trouble getting all my Water in. I think that will just take time. I'm at 50oz a day. I also need to priortize walking because I'm only doing that once or twice a week due to being so busy.

1 hour ago, Pepper_No_Salt said:

Checking in! I'm a little over 3 weeks post op but it feels like longer! I've started making lists of what foods sit well and what absolutely doesnt. I'm doing great with eggs, turkey salad, cheese, strawberries, watermelon, and Soups. I rejected chicken. I've also had trouble with my MV. It was sitting really well until one day I just got extremely ill after taking it. I don't know what the secret sauce is of taking it where it won't cause nausea. I'm thinking of changing brands. I've been able to go out to events and I'm getting better at refusing to put myself in positions where I'll have trouble with food. Yesterday my friends wanted to go to Asian Buffet, i explained I couldn't eat anything there but they were persistant. I got in the car and my daughter rolled down her window and told them all she didn't feel good. I didn't want to ruin their evening by making them choose something else, all in all I wasn't mad. It's just different. My other bari gals I'm friends with get it.

Still having trouble getting all my Water in. I think that will just take time. I'm at 50oz a day. I also need to priortize walking because I'm only doing that once or twice a week due to being so busy.

What are you taking your MV with. I always take mine in the morning AFTER an ENtIRE Protein Shake. Anything less and I vomit immediately. It’s the Iron. If you are only 3 weeks it’s likely you are not yet eating enough solids to stomach it. Try it with a shake if you haven’t and if that doesn’t work see anoint getting one with a lower iron content and taking a separate iron at a different time during the day to make up for it.

For the waking try breaking it up into smaller spurts. Just five minutes at a medium pace ks like a quarter of a mile. It adds up quick!! That’s why I love my Apple Watch. I already had it but hadn’t worn it in forever but I updated it and other than the battery which means I have to charge it in the evening if I’m still exercising it works. Thinking about asking Santa for a new one 😉 Anyways it logs any little spurt of exercise and it shows you how quick it adds up, helps you track your heart rate and tells you exactly how many calories you burned based on that heart rate and your personal info if you enter it.

18 hours ago, Justarwaxx said:

Finally had a call with the nurse incharge and she just put my mind at ease! She told me to "chill" and that I am doing everything right!! She said don't forget u did the bypass and many of the comments and comparsion I've been getting and doing is towards gastric sleeve patients. She said everything I'm experiencing is right and to not panic about calories because I am definitely not over eating! Focus on Protien and avoid sugar!

Teehee nothing new but felt good hearing it from her! Phew

@Justarwaxx I am so glad you got the reassurance that you need. It’s funny because everyone has heard of the “bypass” or WLS but when you talk about WLS or any type people always lump them all into one group and most people call them all the bypass (unless they are an actual patient but even then most aren’t real familiar with all of the surgeries in terms of specifics). Some people, even educated ones, don’t know anything other than it makes you lose weight. I had a Doctor (not a medical Doctor thank God) ask me if I was worried i wouldn’t lose all of my weight why I didn’t just ask them to take more out!’ Like all things in life until you have a reason to know you just don’t know.

1 hour ago, ShoppGirl said:

@Justarwaxx I am so glad you got the reassurance that you need. It’s funny because everyone has heard of the “bypass” or WLS but when you talk about WLS or any type people always lump them all into one group and most people call them all the bypass (unless they are an actual patient but even then most aren’t real familiar with all of the surgeries in terms of specifics). Some people, even educated ones, don’t know anything other than it makes you lose weight. I had a Doctor (not a medical Doctor thank God) ask me if I was worried i wouldn’t lose all of my weight why I didn’t just ask them to take more out!’ Like all things in life until you have a reason to know you just don’t know.

Yes I'm so glad! Exactly it is pretty funny and I need to remember that whenever someone comments..my sister does that too she thinks I should already be skinny by now! 3 weeks post op! Let's just hide till we reach our goal weight lol

Had my one month post op appointment today and I showed her my food tracking summary of all my macros and told her what I’ve been doing on my fitness and she was very please. Said my weight loss is excellent and my food choices are perfect. She wants me to increase a little bit to add a little more Protein and carbs because I’m so active now but other than that everything is fine. I cannot believe how amazing I feel you guys. I have not had this level of energy since I was a teenager and I’m not just eating but ENJOYING foods that I never liked before!! The fresh ingredients is seriously the trick. It’s more work but it makes things taste so much better.

5 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

Had my one month post op appointment today and I showed her my food tracking summary of all my macros and told her what I’ve been doing on my fitness and she was very please. Said my weight loss is excellent and my food choices are perfect. She wants me to increase a little bit to add a little more Protein and carbs because I’m so active now but other than that everything is fine. I cannot believe how amazing I feel you guys. I have not had this level of energy since I was a teenager and I’m not just eating but ENJOYING foods that I never liked before!! The fresh ingredients is seriously the trick. It’s more work but it makes things taste so much better.

I love this! Happy 1 month! Proud of u n let's keep going..

I am struggling to keep up with my 3 day workout (walk on treadmill) a week. I'm just feeling lazy n blah. Is everyone working out?

Also I was adviced no strength till 2 months post op! I feel once I am back to work and can actually join the gym I'd have a routine.

56 minutes ago, Justarwaxx said:

I am struggling to keep up with my 3 day workout (walk on treadmill) a week. I'm just feeling lazy n blah. Is everyone working out?

Also I was adviced no strength till 2 months post op! I feel once I am back to work and can actually join the gym I'd have a routine.

When I had my sleeve I tried to do the treadmill and absolutely could not stick with it. This time I am walking outside. Not sure if that’s an option for you but it’s so much more entertaining. Things to look at, people to say hello to, and you can go different ways and plus it’s fresh air. It’s also easier on your knees. I also walk a bit inside. For both, headphones help with music and a fitness watch so you can log your progress.

After my nighttime shower I just put my exercise clothes on and sleep in them. That way when I wake up I am already dressed and I jump up and walk a bit around the house while my coffee is going and chilling over the ice so I can make my “proffee.” It’s just like 15 minutes (started with 5) or so but it’s a good start to my day. Then, I try to do a few minutes a couple more times during the day so I do it when I take my Calcium (I have a recurring alarm to remind me).

Depending on your job you may be able to do this on breaks. In the evenings, I prepare dinner but then head out to walk, depending on the weather. I am now up to 45 minutes but I started at 15. This one I get sweaty so I shower and put my exercise clothes on again (I have two sets and wash the other one daily) and then I sit down for my dinner and chill with my hubby for a while before it’s bedtime and i start it all again the next morning

For me, it’s also easier to make a habit of things if I do them everyday, at least for a while. Eventually things will come up so I don’t do it every night, I’m sure but until it’s a habit I do it daily. My goal is 30 minutes a day no matter what but I try to do as much more as I can. The PA (physicians assistant) was at my support group meeting and did a talk one night on fitness and he shared that 90 minutes of exercise a week (15 minutes a day for 6 days of the week) causes a 15% Drop in “all cause mortality.” My surgeon was there and said that surgery actually only creates an 11% change so it’s pretty incredible.

This takes 25 minutes per day because you want to do a 5 minute warm up and a 5 minute cool down. During the 15 minutes your goal is a zone 2 heart rate. You calculate the zone 2 range by first subtracting your age from 220 that is your MAXIMUM heart rate. Then you multiply that number by 60% that’s the lower number of your range and 70% which is the upper number of our range. The example is a 40 year old. 220 - 40 = 180 (MAX).
180 X 60% = 108 and 180 X 70% = 126. The zone 2 heart rate range for this person is between 108 - 126 beats per minute. (The fitness watch will tell you your heart rate so you can check

You can do it at the gym if that works better for you and you can of course break it into three 30 minute sessions instead of daily if you choose as long as you get 90 minutes per week minimum. Once I can add strength training I may actually do it this way and do my weights on the other days. For now I’m just worrying about the cardio part.

I can tell you though, it is so absolutely worth it. Since I have been doing the exercise I feel incredible. My energy has increased tremendously and my mood is so much better. It’s an all around good thing and not that hard, really, once you set your mind to it and get a few days under your belt it gets easier. I have been very sedentary for YEARS and I can’t believe I didn’t start this exercise thing sooner. It’s seriously pretty great!!

Ooh and I was told the same thing for weights. At 6 weeks I can lift more than 10 pounds but not weights. Especially if I didn’t lift them before surgery and would be straining. Even at two months I’m supposed to slowly work my way up but I think that’s probably advisable for anyone whether they had surgery or not.

Also, my friend found a fitness watch on Amazon for $20. Doesn’t have to be a fancy expensive one, just need heart rate and steps or distance really to get started. And if you know anyone else who wants to do some exercise, my friend and I talk on the phone most nights while we are both walking around our own houses. She said she wants to do her exercise bike last night but it goes so much faster when we talk. I said we can still talk while you ride your bike it doesn’t matter if we’re doing the same thing. The person you’re talking to doesn’t even really have to be exercising. They just have to be willing to talk to you and encourage you to keep doing it music works pretty well as an alternative busy a couple of nights and I’ve just used my headphones from instead of talking on the phone. Some people listen to podcasts as well

Edited by ShoppGirl

17 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

When I had my sleeve I tried to do the treadmill and absolutely could not stick with it. This time I am walking outside. Not sure if that’s an option for you but it’s so much more entertaining. Things to look at, people to say hello to, and you can go different ways and plus it’s fresh air. It’s also easier on your knees. I also walk a bit inside. For both, headphones help with music and a fitness watch so you can log your progress.

After my nighttime shower I just put my exercise clothes on and sleep in them. That way when I wake up I am already dressed and I jump up and walk a bit around the house while my coffee is going and chilling over the ice so I can make my “proffee.” It’s just like 15 minutes (started with 5) or so but it’s a good start to my day. Then, I try to do a few minutes a couple more times during the day so I do it when I take my Calcium (I have a recurring alarm to remind me).

Depending on your job you may be able to do this on breaks. In the evenings, I prepare dinner but then head out to walk, depending on the weather. I am now up to 45 minutes but I started at 15. This one I get sweaty so I shower and put my exercise clothes on again (I have two sets and wash the other one daily) and then I sit down for my dinner and chill with my hubby for a while before it’s bedtime and i start it all again the next morning

For me, it’s also easier to make a habit of things if I do them everyday, at least for a while. Eventually things will come up so I don’t do it every night, I’m sure but until it’s a habit I do it daily. My goal is 30 minutes a day no matter what but I try to do as much more as I can. The PA (physicians assistant) was at my support group meeting and did a talk one night on fitness and he shared that 90 minutes of exercise a week (15 minutes a day for 6 days of the week) causes a 15% Drop in “all cause mortality.” My surgeon was there and said that surgery actually only creates an 11% change so it’s pretty incredible.

This takes 25 minutes per day because you want to do a 5 minute warm up and a 5 minute cool down. During the 15 minutes your goal is a zone 2 heart rate. You calculate the zone 2 range by first subtracting your age from 220 that is your MAXIMUM heart rate. Then you multiply that number by 60% that’s the lower number of your range and 70% which is the upper number of our range. The example is a 40 year old. 220 - 40 = 180 (MAX).
180 X 60% = 108 and 180 X 70% = 126. The zone 2 heart rate range for this person is between 108 - 126 beats per minute. (The fitness watch will tell you your heart rate so you can check

You can do it at the gym if that works better for you and you can of course break it into three 30 minute sessions instead of daily if you choose as long as you get 90 minutes per week minimum. Once I can add strength training I may actually do it this way and do my weights on the other days. For now I’m just worrying about the cardio part.

I can tell you though, it is so absolutely worth it. Since I have been doing the exercise I feel incredible. My energy has increased tremendously and my mood is so much better. It’s an all around good thing and not that hard, really, once you set your mind to it and get a few days under your belt it gets easier. I have been very sedentary for YEARS and I can’t believe I didn’t start this exercise thing sooner. It’s seriously pretty great!!

Ooh and I was told the same thing for weights. At 6 weeks I can lift more than 10 pounds but not weights. Especially if I didn’t lift them before surgery and would be straining. Even at two months I’m supposed to slowly work my way up but I think that’s probably advisable for anyone whether they had surgery or not.

Walking outside is not a very good option right now as the temperatures are over 35-45 degrees (middle east tings) but "winter" is around the corner so I'll be happy to do outside walks then! Tbh I am not idle during the day but like I can do more for sure. I try to not ask for help (nanny or son) and just should it myself to get in some extra steps.. but I really wanna push myself to do the treadmill 3x a week. I love how u sleep in ur workout clothes hahaha! It will work for me to workout in the mornings before I start work on the 16th then it will have to be after work.

I totally know what u mean about being more energetic after workouts. It does make u feel great! I will do it!