Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

19 hours ago, Greekmom4 said:

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I will be having hernia repair and vertical gastric sleeve on 8/6/24.

SW 295.9 CW 270 GW 150

My food education class is this coming week, and I hope to learn a lot more about what I will be allowed to eat. I do know that I will be on a 2-week pre-op and 2-week post-op liquid diet. I will actually get all my Vitamins and Protein powders during my class.

I am fortunate that my insurance covers the surgery at 100% and I only had a 4 month waiting period from my first doctor visit. I stopped all caffeine, carbonated, and high calorie drinks back in April. My daily Water goal of 64oz is pretty hard to reach sometimes, but I do my best. Ironically, I do better on the days I am at work as opposed to at home.

Best of luck to those of you giving up smoking.

Hello. @Greekmom4. Sound like you are on the ball. I am still trying to slowly cut back on caffeine and I am scheduled the day after you. It makes sense to me that you do better at work work with Water if you have a desk job because it’s right there as reminder. Maybe set an alarm to go off every hour or two just to remind you to drink. If you have a smart watch I think there is a way to set up alerts on that which could be silent. Don’t quote me on that but it seems like I’ve heard that somewhere.

On 7/2/2024 at 11:42 PM, ShoppGirl said:

@Singingbarista Have you found any good recipes or shakes you can recommend? As far as craft suggestions go I love to crochet.

Hi ShoppGirl. I've been drinking the Fairlife shakes from costco. I've also been working through the Fresh Start Bariatric Cookbook by Sarah Kent. What I like about it is that each recipe is labeled for which stages/surgery applies, with serving sizes and nutritional profile. It has a beef barley recipe that is great. I'm a lazy cook, so one of my usual go-to's is chicken thighs with lots of pepper, garlic powder, paprika and a little salt. Bake 40 minutes at 400-425 F. I eat it with a salad or cut and use for stir fry.

I used to crochet when I was a little girl - just single and double stitch. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have plenty of time to learn more about it. :)

4 hours ago, Singingbarista said:

Hi ShoppGirl. I've been drinking the Fairlife shakes from costco. I've also been working through the Fresh Start Bariatric Cookbook by Sarah Kent. What I like about it is that each recipe is labeled for which stages/surgery applies, with serving sizes and nutritional profile. It has a beef barley recipe that is great. I'm a lazy cook, so one of my usual go-to's is chicken thighs with lots of pepper, garlic powder, paprika and a little salt. Bake 40 minutes at 400-425 F. I eat it with a salad or cut and use for stir fry.

I used to crochet when I was a little girl - just single and double stitch. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have plenty of time to learn more about it. :)

I literally just tried the core power by fairlife from Walmart and they are pricey but pretty good. They only sell singles but oddly enough if you buy 12 they come out cheaper than ordering from Amazon. Now whether they actually have 12 in stock will be another story.

Crochet for me is a really good distraction so you may really want to consider giving it a try again. I use it to try to calm down without needing medication for anxiety. I am fairly new to it but it has been fun.

After making a bunch of wash cloths and dish rags just to practice stitches, I crocheted the toppers onto kitchen towels so that they can be hung up in the kitchen. Everyone seemed to love them for Christmas. They asked me if I am going to make them for other seasons. lol

They just use the basic stitches is why I mention them. I found the tutorial online. There are so many videos on you tube now to give ideas and patterns as well as to learn new stitches. If you have time to kill it can certainly entertain you for a while. Sometimes too long. lol

Checking in for August surgery buddies! I started this journey back in May after talking to a friend about her surgery. She had hers done in Mexico and I thought that was the direction I was going to be going. I met with a local surgeon and found out my insurance did cover the procedure! Since then it's been dietitian appointments, cardio clearance, psych visits, and FINALLY I was approved last week for surgery. Today I paid off my balance with the office so I can make my pre-op appointment!

Some of the things I've been doing to prepare:

Cutting out diet sodas. I've been switching to flavored waters like Crystal Light.

Making a gym habit. I was actually going to the gym a lot but stopped until I got approved for surgery.

Eating slower and smaller bites.

My biggest hurdle is going to be not drinking Water with my meals.

13 hours ago, Pepper_No_Salt said:

Checking in for August surgery buddies! I started this journey back in May after talking to a friend about her surgery. She had hers done in Mexico and I thought that was the direction I was going to be going. I met with a local surgeon and found out my insurance did cover the procedure! Since then it's been dietitian appointments, cardio clearance, psych visits, and FINALLY I was approved last week for surgery. Today I paid off my balance with the office so I can make my pre-op appointment!

Some of the things I've been doing to prepare:

Cutting out diet sodas. I've been switching to flavored waters like Crystal Light.

Making a gym habit. I was actually going to the gym a lot but stopped until I got approved for surgery.

Eating slower and smaller bites.

My biggest hurdle is going to be not drinking Water with my meals.

Congratulations on your date. Cutting the caffeine is hard. That’s what I’m struggling with right now. My problem is figuring out exactly how much I was drinking because I was getting it from various sources and just drinking it freely. Yesterday I woke up with a massive headache at like 2am. I guess I tried to cut it too much. This morning I was fine though so I think I have a better idea. I only allowed myself 4 weeks because it didn’t even take that last time with the sleeve but forgot about the headaches because last time I could take Alieve but this time I really can’t rely on that. I really hope I didn’t cut this too close.

Posted (edited)

Well I went back to the NP to clarify and it turns out I am supposed to do a two week LSD AND a 2 day all liquid one so I start tomorrow morning. My LSD diet isn’t to bad compared to some. I get one small low carb meal and a snack of like sugar free non fat yogurt. Breakfast and lunch is shakes. I pretty much knew that I was going to have to do more than two days once I talked to the NP but I wasn’t expecting 16 days. Yikes 😳

How is everyone else doing?

Edited by ShoppGirl

Hi everyone!

Just got my date of August 12th. Suddenly it's all so real.

I am really excited, scared, hopeful, and anxious. But at this point, I just want it done!

On 7/3/2024 at 7:42 AM, ShoppGirl said:

@Singingbarista lots Of people

lurk here for a while before they post. Congrats on your decision to do surgery. The local support groups are great too. I keep saying I’m going to get started back but life always gives me an excuse. Post op no more excuses for me though. Have you found any good recipes or shakes you can recommend? I am an anxious person so I totally get the over preparing as a coping mechanism. As long as you aren’t creating a financial hardship you’re not hurting anyone (thatS what I tell myself). As far as craft suggestions go I love to crochet. It’s easy to pick up the basics and you can make things with only knowing the most basic stitch then learn a ones whenever your heart desires. It can be a cheap hobby if you shop the sales and don’t become what we refer to as yarn snob. I actually started it because the mindless counting of stitches is very meditative And helps With anxiety. I have brought my crochet with me for many big tests and procedures. Most libraries have groups that meet weekly too so you get to meet other people that knit and crochet. You can usually find crochet hooks at thrift store even and the red heart yarn at Walmart is good enough to get you started.check out some you tube videos Or your libraries website to see when the next class is if you are interested

Yes! Crochet and knitting for me!

8 hours ago, AndreaJD said:

Hi everyone!

Just got my date of August 12th. Suddenly it's all so real.

I am really excited, scared, hopeful, and anxious. But at this point, I just want it done!

Wow!! You don’t get much notice at all. Sounds like you are mentally at about the same point as I am anyways. When do you start your Pre Op diet? I just started this morning and I am t trying to get down a shake right now. It’s one that I used to like but it seems like a weird consistency. I think I may have spoiled myself with the fairlife ones when I was trying out flavors. They are so much smoother tasting to me.

5 hours ago, NeonRaven8919 said:

Yes! Crochet and knitting for me!

How long have you been doing it? I guess it’s been about a year for me now. I belong to a group that meets weekly with people who knit and crochet with a lot more experience. They all say that I will want to try knitting at some point and most of them do both. I actually picked up the hooks for Tunesian Crochet but haven’t done anything with them. Maybe I will give that a go during recovery. It may be a better distraction since it’s new and will take more focus.

Does anyone else have any cool hobbies they plan to use when they need a distraction in this process?

3 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

How long have you been doing it? I guess it’s been about a year for me now. I belong to a group that meets weekly with people who knit and crochet with a lot more experience. They all say that I will want to try knitting at some point and most of them do both. I actually picked up the hooks for Tunesian Crochet but haven’t done anything with them. Maybe I will give that a go during recovery. It may be a better distraction since it’s new and will take more focus.

Does anyone else have any cool hobbies they plan to use when they need a distraction in this process?

I've been knitting since 2010 and crocheting off and on for about the same time. I started while I was university since I couldn't afford my tv licence and I needed something do.

I did much better in my exams the year I took up knitting. I think it was because it involved my hand-eye coordination rather than just watching tv

1 hour ago, NeonRaven8919 said:

I've been knitting since 2010 and crocheting off and on for about the same time. I started while I was university since I couldn't afford my tv licence and I needed something do.

I did much better in my exams the year I took up knitting. I think it was because it involved my hand-eye coordination rather than just watching tv

Yea. It’s almost meditative for me. I never would’ve believed that if someone else told me but a therapist suggested I try some kind of craft and a friend of mine in assisted living said she always wished that she had learned knitting or crochet when she was younger so she would have something to do and I figured what the heck I will give it a try. I am hoping it will work as an alternate behavior when I have head hunger post op. 🤞

@ShoppGirl I start my pre-op diet tomorrow. 12 days of a very specific low-calorie menu, followed by 1 day of only Clear Liquids. I can post for anyone interested. I prepped 4 days worth today so I can just grab it and go.

My daughter and I went to Delaware this past weekend and were stuck between airports for almost two days. I did my best not to stress eat and to drink plenty of Water.< br /> My ‘last supper’ today was a steak, salad, loaded baked potato, and ice cream. I wanted to finish in style. lol

Has anyone else started prepping for their pre-op diet?

julie

How is everyone doing on their preperations and/ or preop diets. I am on day 6 of 16. (2 week liver shrink then 2 days liquids). It’s not awful but I am board for sure. Last night my husband left his dinner sitting on the island when he ran to the restroom and it took a great deal of restraint to not sneak a bite. I’m lucky that he has been preparing his own food though so this is not a daily thing. I can only imagine having to cook for others while on this diet would make it more challenging. Eyes on the prize I keep reminding myself. Hope everyone else is doing okay too.

Posted (edited)

On 7/23/2024 at 10:41 PM, Greekmom4 said:

@ShoppGirl I start my pre-op diet tomorrow. 12 days of a very specific low-calorie menu, followed by 1 day of only Clear Liquids. I can post for anyone interested. I prepped 4 days worth today so I can just grab it and go.

My daughter and I went to Delaware this past weekend and were stuck between airports for almost two days. I did my best not to stress eat and to drink plenty of Water.< br /> My ‘last supper’ today was a steak, salad, loaded baked potato, and ice cream. I wanted to finish in style. lol

Has anyone else started prepping for their pre-op diet?

julie

@Greekmom4 so sorry to not reply to this. I don’t know how I missed it. My LSD is a little different to the norm too. I kinda like going through the motions of prepping each night for my dinner but everyone is different. How’s the preop going. It’s getting close. Are you nervous? Excited?

Edited by ShoppGirl