Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Posted (edited)

Y’all may want to check out that website that had the ricotta bake recipe. It is Bariatricbits.com. There aren’t as many recipes as I thought but it does tell you how to make puréed chicken tuna and egg salad as well as refried Beans and tbe ricotta bake

Edited by ShoppGirl

On 08/16/2024 at 21:31, ShoppGirl said:

Y’all may want to check out that website that had the ricotta bake recipe. It is Bariatricbits.com. There aren’t as many recipes as I thought but it does tell you how to make puréed chicken tuna and egg salad as well as refried Beans and tbe ricotta bake

Thank you!😊 I happen to stumble across it yesterday. Looks good but I might be mashing my Protein. I don’t think I can handle the puréed. lol 😂

On 08/16/2024 at 19:57, ShoppGirl said:

Glad to hear you are feeling better. I have a descent list for purée but the three things I actually like out of it are the scrambled egg substitute, refried Beans, and ricotta. I am also allowed reduced sugar marinara and fat free or low fat cheese so I will have a little cheddar cheese on the refried Beans and I will make the ricotta bake with ricotta, marinara and mozzarella. That starts Sunday for me and I CAN’T wait. I was actually debating how long I need to wait to make sure something agrees. Like if I have the eggs for Breakfast, will I know by lunch that was fine so I can try something else or should I stick to liquids for the rest of the day. I can’t remember what I did with the sleeve. Probably waited because I always tend to be over cautious with medical stuff. I dug out my handheld blender and bought some canned fruit (no sugar added) and fresh veggies that I’m going to try to make my own purées. That I didn’t do last time but I do remember getting board so I figured I may as well give it a try. Anyone else have any good ideas?

I am so excited for you!! Mine sounds similar scrambled eggs they asked I start with egg white only and they told me to wait 72 hours before introducing something totally new. However I can’t have the refried beans because they said it has lard and fat so they want me to stay away from that but I can make a chili from pinto beans, red kidney beans, which I plan on doing and then mashing it really good. 😊 I also have cheese and I am in love with feta so I can’t wait till I start cooking this morning. So excited, we finally at this phase!!

On 08/16/2024 at 20:08, Hiddenroses said:

Hey all - I promise I'll get to responding to the previous posts that I haven't replied to a few pages back but I had a quick question - Has anyone else experienced tenderness from sitting in a chair that didn't previously bother you? It's weird for me, I haven't lost a LOT of weight (24 lbs as of yesterday at the doctor's office, their scale and mine seem to have about a 2lb disagreement) yet it feels like I get an achy bum sitting in a desk chair that was previously fine. That might sound silly; I don't mean in any particular region, just achy in general to the point I've taken to putting a thin pillow beneath me. Is that weird? Is it maybe just the overall achiness? Just curious!

Yes, after surgery I switched my chair constantly because positions and chairs that are used to like now. Don’t sit well with me anymore. Try maybe putting like a cushioned pillow under your bum. I know they sell a couple of those on Amazon.< /p>

On 08/16/2024 at 20:16, ShoppGirl said:

@Greekmom4 that bean recipe sounds good. Is salsa considered a purée though? I guess you can purée it a little more. I’m gonna order some now and try to use my little hand blender with it and see what happens. You have to tell me how exactly you went about making purée chicken salad. Was it totally mush? I am allowed canned chicken and tuna and a little low fat mayo but that seems like a big jump from liquid to me.

@Hiddenroses i haven't experienced that but have heard of lots of weird physical aches and pains, especially back pain that occurs as we lose because our posture changes so quickly. And lots of people do end up needing a cushion when they sit after a while. I’m gonna guess it is the loss. Your first NSV!! Needing extra butt cushion 🎉

@Onemealplan are you allowed the egg substitute? I had never tried them until my pre op diet and they are surprisingly good. The first ingredient is egg whites but they add some stuff to make them taste a whole lot more like regular eggs which is great for me because I really don’t care for egg whites. They are also super soft and moist which is good for us right now.

@Hiddenroses I am editing this post to add that now that I am paying attention I am feeling a bit of tingling in my butt cheek. I am lying in an adjustable bed watching tv and I’m actually not in a very comfortable position at all but I swear I just noticed some tingling in the right side and shifted my weight. 🤣 I guess if it happened before I just didn’t pay much attention. I’m lucky that I haven’t had to do any desk chair sitting this week.

That just got me to thinking about when will be the best time to get a new mattress. One thing I do remember with the sleeve was that the mattress seemed uncomfortable after I lost a significant ***** of weight. I think it’s because I was not sleeping in my same dented in spot with the posture changes. I flipped the mattress a few times and then ended up switching mattresses with my husband who is tiny because he can sleep on anything and that worked last time but I don’t remember if they have been replaced since then. I’m thinking not so I’m going to have to for sure this time at some point.

Great idea! I’ve not tried eggs substitute but I’ll definitely put that on my shopping list. Any particular brand? @greekmom4 I would also love to know about this chicken salad!

Good morning! I posted somewhere on this site last night but being very much on pain medication it was the wrong thread and who knows where I was! Surgery was yesterday and they sent me home in the afternoon. It was pretty rough yesterday with the gas, sore throat, etc. Today is quite a bit better. My biggest challenge right now is getting enough fluids in. I'm still trying to figure out how large of a sip is "to much". I also would give anything for a cold drink. The surgeon's office didn't give me any restrictions on ice Water or even straws but I've also read it can cause stomach cramps.

@ShoppGirl and @Onemealplan I used canned chicken breast, 2 boiled eggs, some dill relish, lit mayo, and seasonings. Put them in the food processor and blended until it was a similar consistency of mashed potato. Basically no big lumps. It is good and I put 1/4 cup portions into small containers and just take small bites.
For the refried Beans, I found fat free which doesn’t contain lard and the recipe I am adapting just said to add salsa to taste. I am also going to add a bit of ham. I found a small package at Kroger of diced ham. Add the cheese and puree similar to how I did the chicken salad. Putting it into small glass ramekins and popping the toaster oven to heat through.

My final recipe is an egg bake. 2 eggs, 1/4c cottage cheese (low fat, small curd), 1/4c diced ham, 1/4c shredded cheese. Purée all together and split into 1/4c servings. You can cook them all at once in the oven in a cupcake pan or microwave a serving at a time.

Just checking in for now. I have a lot of posts to catch up on, but that will be when I'm home. Surgery went great, other than starting my period literally 10 minutes before anesthesia came in. I'm having trouble drinking Water, so I will be staying another night in the hospital.

Now if I could just get the gas pain to leave...

1 hour ago, Onemealplan said:

Great idea! I’ve not tried eggs substitute but I’ll definitely put that on my shopping list. Any particular brand? @greekmom4 I would also love to know about this chicken salad!

The ones I got are Walmart brand I think. Same concept as Egg Beaters brand if I’m not mistaken

26 minutes ago, Greekmom4 said:

@ShoppGirl and @Onemealplan I used canned chicken breast, 2 boiled eggs, some dill relish, lit mayo, and seasonings. Put them in the food processor and blended until it was a similar consistency of mashed potato. Basically no big lumps. It is good and I put 1/4 cup portions into small containers and just take small bites.
For the refried Beans, I found fat free which doesn’t contain lard and the recipe I am adapting just said to add salsa to taste. I am also going to add a bit of ham. I found a small package at Kroger of diced ham. Add the cheese and puree similar to how I did the chicken salad. Putting it into small glass ramekins and popping the toaster oven to heat through.

My final recipe is an egg bake. 2 eggs, 1/4c cottage cheese (low fat, small curd), 1/4c diced ham, 1/4c shredded cheese. Purée all together and split into 1/4c servings. You can cook them all at once in the oven in a cupcake pan or microwave a serving at a time.

Wow. It all sounds almost doable until you say mashed potato consistency. I went the entire two weeks after my sleeve earring one or two things and just relied on liquids because I couldn’t get past the idea of it. Like I said I got REALLY bored so I’m gonna at least try it this time.

1 hour ago, Pepper_No_Salt said:

Good morning! I posted somewhere on this site last night but being very much on pain medication it was the wrong thread and who knows where I was! Surgery was yesterday and they sent me home in the afternoon. It was pretty rough yesterday with the gas, sore throat, etc. Today is quite a bit better. My biggest challenge right now is getting enough fluids in. I'm still trying to figure out how large of a sip is "to much". I also would give anything for a cold drink. The surgeon's office didn't give me any restrictions on ice Water or even straws but I've also read it can cause stomach cramps.

So glad to hear your awake and doing fairly well. I never heard that about stomach cramps. Both of my surgeries I had cold drinks and I guess it didn’t add to the pain and cramping but then again maybe it did. Perhaps start with just like one ice cube in a glass and then keep adding annothet until it’s actually cold.

On 08/17/2024 at 09:16, Pepper_No_Salt said:

If your stomach tolerates cold and that’s what you like I would go with that. Sips just think of it as half a gulp. And everything I’ve ever read said to not take straws because they create too much gas a.k.a. air bubbles, and that’s the last thing we want. Maybe circle back with your surgeons team to see what they say. Personally gotten rid of all my straws and postsurgery my body really enjoyed either hot or cold liquids no restriction

08/17/2024 10:04 AM, Greekmom4 said:

Thank you so much that chicken recipe sounds right up my alley! I did do scrambled egg whites with feta this morning only 2 ounces and my stomach was able to handle it so maybe down the line and I’ll try that egg bake. The ham sounds really delicious.

On 08/17/2024 at 10:12, draikaina8503 said:

Just checking in for now. I have a lot of posts to catch up on, but that will be when I'm home. Surgery went great, other than starting my period literally 10 minutes before anesthesia came in. I'm having trouble drinking Water, so I will be staying another night in the hospital.

Now if I could just get the gas pain to leave...

Walk, walk and walk some more and time. I was on my period during surgery. I had it the whole time. The pain meds will help with it. You won’t even feel your cramps. Take small steps and just listen to your body. The goal that they give us for how much we could drink is absolutely ridiculous so I could barely handle any liquids and they told me to just make sure that I focus on hydration so taking electrolytes in my Water. Propel And IV liquid my go to..

26 minutes ago, Onemealplan said:

If your stomach tolerates cold and that’s what you like I would go with that. Sips just think of it as half a gulp. And everything I’ve ever read said to not take straws because they create too much gas a.k.a. air bubbles, and that’s the last thing we want. Maybe circle back with your surgeons team to see what they say. Personally gotten rid of all my straws and postsurgery my body really enjoyed either hot or cold liquids no restriction

I was told the same thing about straws. Several months out from my sleeve I did end up using one by accident. I was out and they gave me one and I just forgot. Nothing happened so I went back to them but I wasn’t the model patient either or I wouldn’t have needed a revision so ask your surgeon.

Some one else said to think of the sip you would take to test if something is too hot and to start with that. You will slowly increase your sips naturally though until you are drinking pretty close to normal again down the road with the exception of guzzling of course.